Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2019, 09:36 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Dashcam power from dome light in View 24D?

I've recently purchased a View 24D and would like to install a Garmin Dashcam high on the windshield (near where the rear view mirror would be). Has anyone had luck pulling a 12v lead from the dome lights fixture on the ceiling above the dash? I'm trying to avoid dangling wires. Any other suggestions would be welcome!
peter.leabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:06 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I've got a 55 mounted low on the glass just above the dash. I just run the power cord to a 12VDC splitter that's plugged into the pull out tray 12V outlet. Works well, and makes it easy to reach/remove for the endless software updates it gets. My setup has dangling cables, but they aren't really in the way of anything. They just hang over the front of the dash.

I get everything from Time Zone to Speech Recognition to Software upgrades almost weekly, sometimes more often. I also get Cyclops speed camera updates for places I'm never likely to be anywhere near, and Garmin says they can't terminate the subscriptions.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 11:54 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I'm with you on not wanting wires running loose but how it works to tie into the light will depend on a couple big points to think over first.
One is how the light is fused for power versus how much power the new equipment needs.
I might first look at the power needed for the camera, to see if it sounds reasonable to fit the power available on the light. If it needs 20 amp for the camera, I assume the light power is not going to be enough but if the specs on the camera are way low light 5 amp or less, I study the fusing on the lights to see what's up there. Quite possible the lights are fused 15 amp and adding a cam using less than 5 may not cause any problems at all.
One "dummy" way to get the info might be to just plug them together temp style and see if the fuse blows but I would want to know where that fuse was first!!!
Check of the manuals show where to find that fuse, perhaps?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 12:45 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I have a Garmin 55 dashcam mounted on my View windshield top center. I tucked the wire into the overhead trim, then under the left windshield trim, and out below the dashboard.

Did not need to unfasten anything, just pushed it under the trim with a blunt tool. From there I plug it into an auxiliary power block I installed to the left and below the steering wheel by tapping into the fusebox. I also use this for powering the tpms monitor and radar detector when I use it.

You could just as easily tap the Garmin power supply directly into the fusebox. I use "add-a-circuit" fuse taps, available for $5 at Walmart or the auto parts store. These allow you to plug into an existing fuse and run a secondary line from that source. No wiring alterations required.
notbusdrvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash, light, power