Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2019, 07:17 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Cold Temps and fuel Gel

I'm a skier and am going to be chasing powder in my 2007 23h..anyone have a bad experience with fuel gel from the cold temps. Any dos and dont's ...should I just let the motor run all day and night when the temps are very cold. At what temp should I get Concerned.
Hazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 07:29 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

If you have a MB diesel they suggest not to idle more than 5 min. Winter diesel typically has been formulated for colder temps and MB advises not to add conditioners.

The fuel filter is heated, when you turn the key let the glow plugs warm before turning over the engine (red light will go out on dash). I've been in very low temps and have been OK so far. Hope you have the same results.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:49 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

thank you
Hazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 04:07 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Assume you have a diesel because gas doesn't gel much in cold temps but diesel does.

Newer diesel engines (and yours is newer) don't have glow plugs. My '94 did not have them. Now days they have a block heater. If there's something along the lines of a filter heater that behaves like a glow plug I'm unaware of it on my '02 Cat, and I know I didn't have one on my '94 Cummins.

If you're going to be boondocking, just 1-2 hours before departure, plug in or switch on the Block Heater. That will warm the engine up enough that it shouldn't notice the cold and should fire easily. Check your electrical panel for a switch (looks like a light switch at home) that says "Eng Htr", like mine. Sometimes they hide them pretty good. Might have to search your users guide.

You should also pour some diesel anti-gel in your tank before you head up. Available everywhere. Even Wal-Mart carries it. And add some when needed.

One other thing...many northern states change their diesel formula in the winter to prevent gelling.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 03:56 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I use Power Service additive in mine. When Temps are going to fall and stay cold I add the Power Service anti gel product. Make sure you run the generator so the anti gel will get to it. I have used this product in my Cummins and the cat c7 with good results.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 08:27 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I have had our unit gel one time. It happened because I filled it with diesel prior to the dealers switching to the Winter blend. I limped back home and got it into a shop. Cost us two days of our trip.

Depending where you live find out when they switch to the Winter blend and don't fill up until they do. Also adding a fuel additive is a good idea until you're sure you have a tank full of the Winter blend.

Our Journey has a block heater and the switch is located in the bathroom cabinet. Turn that on the night prior to leaving, then let the dash lights tell you when to hit the starter. There are heating coils that heat the intake air and when the light goes out the air is warm.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:11 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

[COLOR="Red"][QUOTE=Jim_HiTek;3848478]Assume you have a diesel because gas doesn't gel much in cold temps but diesel does.

Newer diesel engines (and yours is newer) don't have glow plugs. My '94 did not have them. Now days they have a block heater. If there's something along the lines of a filter heater that behaves like a glow plug I'm unaware of it on my '02 Cat, and I know I didn't have one on my '94 Cummins.[/COLOR]

The Mercedes engines have glow plugs.
ForestF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 04:21 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

One trip from Santa Fe to Gunnison Co I fueled our diesel truck near home not thinking about the winter blend issue. In Gunnison it minus 32 and the fuel gelled. Had it towed to garage where they kept it inside for two days, drained the fuel and refilled with winter blend no problems.

When it gells the pump can’t move it so even with a fuel heater it can’t start. Don’t really know the magic temp. If going someplace colder I try to arrive with low fuel tanks then fill up with the local blend.
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:22 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Yes you need to have the winter blend in the tank before heading North or you can experience fuel gel otherwise its a tow if it gels or bales of hay around the rig and portable direct fired jet turbine heaters blowing hot air under the vehicle to get the fuel liquid and flowing again.

If you get caught for too long in the cold with a Summer Blend of Diesel then yes it can take days to get it all flowing again.

Thankfully I'm in South Florida now and rarely see more that a few minutes of freezing weather every year or so.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:28 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

It all depends on the ambient temps your going to be running in my suggestion to you is to run #1 diesel and you will not have any problems and be sure to turn on the engine heater at least a couple hours before you start I turn mine on the night before
Chmielowiec is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel