Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2011, 02:19 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Class C Comparisons

We are getting ready to downsize from a 43' DP back to a Class C (our use and live-aboard time has changed). We haven't owned a Class C in quite a while. Winnebago/Itasca is on my list.

I'm trying to understand the differences between the Cambria/Aspect line and the Impulse/Access line.

It appears that the Aspect or Access models are more traditional Cs for a family, etc. It seems the Cambria or Impulse are streamlined Cs more suited to just two people. Do I have it right?

Any other key points I should consider?

Estero, FL
BCook57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:49 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Just traded my bought new 06 Aspect for a class A - going the opposite way and wanting to spend a lot more time on the road. The Aspect and Cambria are the same coach. Our 26 footer with added solar panels and kick down HWH hydraulic levelers was great for 2 people and a dog for up to a month. A bit short on storage thought. I also had a Jeep Liberty and Jeep 2dr wrangler as toads. No problem going in and out of Death Valley, Mojave, and Joshua Tree plus south Utah Zion and Bryce canyons. Also a trip to Yellowstone, all from Olympia WA so I know it handles mountains.
I am not familiar with other class C's.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Rmiscoord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:47 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

If I was going that direction I'd seriously look at one of the Sprinter based units to see if I could make it work. Super chassis and gets great mileage.

I get the Itasca brochure in the mail every year and I think the Navion IQ was the one I really liked. Has the slide going out the back. 14-15mpg!!! Would cost HALF as much to run as what I've got. Gas is killing us.

Wifey says 'too small'.

I would buy a Monaco Knight 36 if I could afford it.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:23 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

You're transposed in your thinking The Aspect/Cambria are Class B's (slimlined), Impulse/Access are traditional C's.

I have a '12 Itasca Impulse Silver, took delivery in May of this year. It's a Class C. We opted for the bunk over the cab instead of the entertainment center (have 2 youngins). . I liked them also but the difference is head room. The Impulse is 6' 10" in the living area and 6'4" in the rear bedroom, the Aspect was 6' 4" throughout I think. I'm 6'3" and needed a little bit of head room. Plenty of room for 4 of us and a 100 lb Goldie.

Hope that helps if you have any more questions let me know.
CbtEngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:35 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the replies. I kind of thought it might be a B+ type of unit. We're going to spend some time this next week and look at some options from Winnebago/Itasca.

Estero, FL
Old 12-19-2011, 10:30 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I do not mean to muddy the water with non important definitions but when doing general comparisons the classification of whether you are looking at Class A, B, or C coaches can be confusing. Class C's are built with a truck or van open back cab chassis. Both the Aspect and Access (and their Itasca twins) are built on the same Ford E450 chassis. Both have the same load rating, length, and engines. Height and width are a Just inches different as are the tank sizes. Class B's are Van conversions. I personally do not like using B+ or C-. The two Models mentioned above are built identically with one just a bit narrower and shorter and much more streamlined. I liked the Aspect because I did not need an over the cab bed and liked the streamlining. Test the headroom and look at the floor plans. Also compare the CCC weight (how much stuff you can carry).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-20-2011, 06:29 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the clarification; I guess I knew that, but we've been out of the Class C area for some time.

We'll do all the proper evaluation - this will be our 5th MH, so we understand the process pretty well. Just a matter of finding one that meets as many of the important points as possible.

Estero, FL
Old 12-20-2011, 11:49 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Gads, I can get a bit preachy -sorry. Anyway, here is an excellent forum for just the Aspect/Cambria MH's. Lots of good info if you are still considering that model.
Aspect-Cambria : Winnebago Aspect and Itasca Cambria
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]