Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2020, 04:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Christmas gifts

What do you get for an RVing spouse that doesn’t take up a lot of room in the RV? (I’m referring to the gift, noot the spouse &#128513 I’ve ruled out a mink coat, Jimmy Cho shoes, way too heavy diamond earrings and a case of Dom (not enough refridge space). Anyone have more practical ideas? If all goes per plan, we both get shots and Canada opens up, we’ll be headed on a road trip to Alaska in May? June? And before some one suggests it, no, she doesn’t need a reinforced suspension system. This should be an interesting thread.
BlueGekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 10:29 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Not sure about the gift, but I wouldn't hold your breath on Canada reopening any time soon. The government and the media have the people up here scared of US visitors, and portray them as "the great covid unwashed" or some such nonsense. Even though our CFR is half again as much as yours. I feel for you, and everyone else that just wants us to be able to get back to normal travel conditions. It really sucks, being trapped behind the borders. I'd love to go to Alaska, too. Again.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 04:22 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Yes, Winnebagoal, (looong sigh), we’ve considered that 2021 may not be the year to road trip to Alaska. But I’ve got to think that Canadians want their country opened up as much as we want ours and that their vaccine policy - and the long term effectiveness of the vaccine - will allow movement through and camping in the western provinces. I understand that they and we will be using the same vaccines and that we’ll be issued a vaccination card to show when and what kind of shots we received so, assuming an effectiveness window of 6-9 months (per Fauci), hopefully calmer heads will be reassured and the border will be opened by summer. Gotta think positive. If the border isn’t opened, there’s still a lot of blacktop and many dirt roads in the lower 48 that we haven’t traveled. But I won’t be a happy traveler unless I can find that one, special Xmas gift for She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed. Ideas?
Old 12-15-2020, 10:02 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Our media/politicians have got the majority of Canadians, that still watch/believe them, scared that opening up the US border would be like unleashing the Black Death upon them. Those of us with the "cooler heads" know that it's mostly hype (for nefarious reasons some might say) and I'd like to see the border reopened today, if possible. Our favorite destinations, besides Alaska, are located in your lower 48. We've even considered shipping our RV across the border and then flying over to meet it, which is still allowed, for some unknown reason?
As for the gift, how about a "Pandemic Travel Safety HazMat Suit" - They're Gender Neutral, and like pandemic lock downs, One Size Fits All.

I just saw on one of our business networks that we're getting 168,000 doses of Modernas vaxx by end of December (real encouraging, eh?), but it's going to northern and indigenous communities, so we won't see any of it. Another 200,000 doses of Pfizer's is expected sometime soon, next week maybe, as well (even more encouraging?). The validity of the saying, you get what you vote for, is even more apparent now.
Old 12-15-2020, 10:46 AM   #5
Site Team

Here are seven Christmas Gift Ideas:
1.) Zojirushi Stainless Steel Mug, 16 ounce, available in eight different colors. These are the best travel "mug" for coffee I have ever found. Don't leave home without it! About $26 ±$3.
2.) DVD Movies for the Motorhome, about $10 each
3.) Two Pizza Stones and an oven Thermometer, about $75
4.) Remote TV Speaker for much better sound, about $80
5.) An improved shower head, about $30
6.) Roll-Up Over-sink Countertop, great for more counterspace and rinsing dishes too! About $30
7.) Carbon Filter Fabric for your Air Conditioner Return, to keep the air clean. About $20.
Merry Christmas; Eagle5
Old 12-15-2020, 11:03 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Winterbagoal, Your comment about the shipment of vaccine to the northern territories and communities reminds me of the (purported) first Iditarod race where dog teams were used, in relays, to get diptheria serum from Anchorage to Nome. I expect that nowadays Canada has a faster way to do that? As for the pandemic travel safety hazmat suit, I’m hoping that by the time we’re ready for our Alaska road trip (after digging out from the NH snow and ice) the Smithsonian Museum will have collected all of the specimens for their Trump exhibit. Besides, I understand the suits don’t come in her color.
Old 12-15-2020, 11:45 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueGekko View Post
Winterbagoal, Your comment about the shipment of vaccine to the northern territories and communities reminds me of the (purported) first Iditarod race where dog teams were used, in relays, to get diptheria serum from Anchorage to Nome. I expect that nowadays Canada has a faster way to do that? As for the pandemic travel safety hazmat suit, I’m hoping that by the time we’re ready for our Alaska road trip (after digging out from the NH snow and ice) the Smithsonian Museum will have collected all of the specimens for their Trump exhibit. Besides, I understand the suits don’t come in her color.
Yes, we now have modern(a?) snowmobiles and quads to deliver stuff to the farther north than north areas of our tundra regions. Very 20th century, dontcha know?
Funny thought. They've decided to send the Moderna vaccine, that requires no special uber low temperature storage to the frozen north, while keeping the Pfizer "must be stored at sub freezing temps" down south. Might have made more sense to send the Pfizer cold vaxx up north, so that if no one is home to receive it, they could just leave it outside on the porch, where it should keep just fine. LIke I said, you often get what you........
Sorry about the Hazmat suit colors. Orange doesn't suit her?
Actually, I like the improved shower head idea that Eagle5 suggested. Might get one of those Oxymorons for myself. I already have the pizza stones and the sink dish stands.
Old 12-15-2020, 12:21 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Yes, the shower head idea was appealing but I mostly subscribe to the idea that if it isn’t broke, don’t fix it. Now, if I tried to put a new shower head on, it WOULD be broke. Long ago I understood that we are all born with certain skills that, ad a result, just come naturally to each of us. I have a natural ability to take things apart and lay them out neatly in either size or shape or color order. And it’s pretty when I’m done. I would’ve liked to have married someone with the natural ability to reassemble things in the correct way with no leftover parts but . . . Fortunately, she has a long list of friends and professionals who can do that as long as the Visa card isn’t maxed out. And I’m no longer allowed to “fix” or “improve” things that aren’t broken. And that includes the dog. So, while the shower head was a good, useful suggestion, replacing it would likely cost me several hundred dollars and the dog and I would have to trade sleeping arrangements.
Old 12-15-2020, 02:54 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

My God, we might be related.
Except we have a cat, and he sleeps wherever he wants. I am not that lucky.
Old 12-15-2020, 10:03 PM   #10
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueGekko View Post
Yes, the shower head idea was appealing but I mostly subscribe to the idea that if it isn’t broke, don’t fix it. Now, if I tried to put a new shower head on, it WOULD be broke. Long ago I understood that we are all born with certain skills that, ad a result, just come naturally to each of us. I have a natural ability to take things apart and lay them out neatly in either size or shape or color order. And it’s pretty when I’m done. I would’ve liked to have married someone with the natural ability to reassemble things in the correct way with no leftover parts but . . . Fortunately, she has a long list of friends and professionals who can do that as long as the Visa card isn’t maxed out. And I’m no longer allowed to “fix” or “improve” things that aren’t broken. And that includes the dog. So, while the shower head was a good, useful suggestion, replacing it would likely cost me several hundred dollars and the dog and I would have to trade sleeping arrangements.
Ok, your post was hilarious. Thank you!