Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2020, 04:29 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

check valve in drain?

Are there check valves in the sink drains in motor home drains? I have a 2015, Minnie Winnie 31K, that I've owned for 6 months. Several timespI've noticed the lavatory sink does not drain, at all. Most often, it drains fine. All or none and only the lavatory sink. Check valve, air lock? Any ideas? I have not taken the drain apart.

Gary

2015 Minnie Winnie 31K on 2014 E450
Glesamiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 12:24 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I know of no drains that have a checkvalve. Sounds to me that you either have a random blockage or a venting problem. I'd check the vent on the roof and make sure that you don't have an obstruction.
MinntoMich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 01:21 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Some motor homes don't have roof vents, they have air admittance valves usually located below the sink in the cabinet mounted on a short vertical pipe riser. For a sink they are usually 1-1/2" and have a large check valve flapper that lets air in to vent the sink drain but blocks anything going up and out.

Maybe the flapper gets stuck and that makes the sink air lock. Easy enough to replace if that is it. Amazon, Home Depot, Lowes or any hardware store has them.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 03:20 PM   #4
2019 Winnebago Sunstar 27

Glesamiz,

You do have a "Trap-Waterless" fitted in the drain line of your lavatory.
Check out Sheet 2 of 4 here:
http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...331k_plumb.pdf
THis is installed versus the standard P Trap due to space and height limitations.

L
Lowdie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 08:38 PM   #5
Ed & Lynn

Yes - as Lowdie24 said, there ARE trapless drain devices in use where P traps won't fit. I know that our previous Tiffin motor home had at least one in the shower drain..... sorta a rubberized thing that collapses to prevent backflow but allowed drain water through.
CoastalEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 12:19 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Our 2016 Minnie Winnie 27Q has a P-trap on the lav sink. I'd first disassemble the P-trap to see if there is a blockage or maybe a restriction caused by a plug of hair/grease/soap.

If no obstruction is found, I'd replace the under-sink air vent. The thin rubber diaphragm inside it can and does deteriorate over time. It will be just under the bottom side of the countertop and possibly under the sink itself.

Replacement air vents are available at Home Depot for around $10.