Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2018, 09:41 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Check Valve?

My daughter just bought a 2014 Minnie Winnie. It's 23 ft long. I am not sure of the exact model. When I tried to gravity fill the water tank at about 1/2 full it started coming out the city fill inlet. I imagine there is a check valve that is broken or malfunctioning. Is it part of of the hose attachment or could it be in line or located next to the pump?
I am not in the same area as her. If I need to provide more info I will be there Wednesday. Thanks in advance.
ForestF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 10:52 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

My rig is older, Forest; but, I doubt the basic design has changed much. There is a spring-loaded, poppet-type check valve in the housing of the city water fill fitting. So flow is allowed only in the "fill" direction. I just replaced mine due to a leak. I bought one at Camping World (handy and quick) but I really didn't like the replacement much. My old one was brass, the CW one was plastic (and it leaked at the threads on installation). So I bought a brass one and it worked fine (so I just ordered another for a spare). The fitting on her rig is likely 1/2" pipe thread but some are male pipe thread and some are FPT. Someone needs to look. A real easy job to replace and relatively inexpensive ..... though some folks take the valve apart and just replace the O-ring at the poppet.

That check valve has to work if you want to use the on-board pump........or the pump will dump all the fresh water out the city fill fitting.....eventually. No real problem (functionally) when hooked up to city water and not using the pump (although it likely violates some code.) The engineer in me says there should be a shut off valve downstream of the city fill valve so that when it leaks you could isolate it and continue on your merry way using on-board fresh water with the pump; then fix the check valve problem later. (I'd add that feature to mine but access is "turrible".)

Hopefully someone with your daughter's exact rig will respond with the precise configuration. I love having stuff delivered to my door so I got my (good one) here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Good luck with the fix............... and safe travels.
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 11:47 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Youracman. I figured it was something like that. I plugged the inlet with a hose Y. Just screwed the "wrong" end in and closed a valve so I have it working now. It did come out the city inlet when I turned the pump on and ran the water. I will be down there this week replacing her dead 12V batteries with 6vs. I will look for an inlet on my way down.
ForestF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 06:10 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

part of the winterizing process is to take your finger and push the check valve in until the pink antifreeze comes out. This is easy to forget (don't ask me how I know. LOL) and will require a new city fill. They are not hard to replace and will take care of your problem and will be a good reminder when winterizing.
workinrvers is offline   Reply With Quote