Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2021, 03:24 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Charging chassis battery

I have a 2020 Vita 24P and wanted to charge chassis battery while plugged into shore power. Can I use 12V socket in Mercedes Sprinter lower dash (not cigarette lighter) to use 12 V socket from battery tender while plugging tender into 120v socket in rv? This would done while in storage to prevent battery drain.
Thank You
cstarchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 03:30 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

If you mean the 12V outlet below the dash ashtray/cup holder, yes, been doing it that way for 3 years. It's always hot to the chassis battery. I use the Stanley FatMax 8A battery charger maintainer and plug into the 120V (powered by inverter/coach batteries/solar) outlet on the outside wall of the bathroom.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 04:04 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I do the same on my Sprinter. However I am considering installing a TRIK-L-START just so I don't have the extra wires in the way.
Old 01-23-2021, 07:36 PM   #4
Proud “No Intent” Owner

I turn the engine ignition to the first position and mine charges the started battery too when on shoreline power. Might want to see if yours does as well first.
Old 01-23-2021, 08:42 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
I turn the engine ignition to the first position and mine charges the started battery too when on shoreline power. Might want to see if yours does as well first.
I would think this is quite a rational way to go but with the idea in mind that it may leave several other items connected and working at the same time.
The mode solenoid is active when the ignition is on, so does connect both battery strings together.

The downside might be that all the other parts of the ignition wiring will also be hot full time and there is a bit more power used while stored. One might want to be sure things like GPS, phone chargers and anything plugged in was unplugged if going for the long haul storage.

I'm not up on the newer electronics to know what long term use might involve with leaving the PCM, TCM, fuel pump, etc in the chassis hot full time.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 08:23 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I also think that the Trik-L-Start or it's bigger brother, the Amp-L-Start is the way to go. It's a relatively simple DIY installation and works well.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 10:06 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I'm not familiar with the 2020 model mentioned, but doesn't it have an converter/inverter that would keep the batteries charged, or is that just for the house batteries.

Mine (much different model) trickle charges the house batteries and when full works on the chanssis battery.

Don't leave the step on as it draws more than a trickle charger can provide.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 12:25 PM   #8
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Oh yeah, I don’t leave it on for days, just once a week of so, I’ll turn the ignition to the first position )no dash lights on), just to bring the batteries up for a few hours.
Old 01-31-2021, 05:34 PM   #9
bkg
Winnebago Owner

Smart battery isolator

I installed a smart battery isolator in my Sprinter right by the "jump/boost solenoid" under the Mercedes passenger seat.
The Smart Battery Isolator is bi-directional so it works from running engine alternator to coach batteries and vice-versa; from the converter/charger to the chassis battery when converter is on 120 volt.
Being a smart isolator, the switch operates on sensing voltage of both sides of the smart isolator. The product description in the link describes how the isolator works.
I did install a mechanical disconnect for the "just-in-case", however, never needed it. I do test it checking the voltage at the One Place display; viewing the voltage of each, the chassis, and coach batteries.

I won't go into details of the install and wiring here, but PM if interested in those details. It has worked very well for me.

Bobby
Old 02-04-2021, 11:52 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2020 sprinter chassis on my view. The 12V outlets in the cab are all disconnected once the ignition is off. I think one of them might remain hot for some number of minutes but then will eventually turn off. leaving ignition in position will work to use the 12V socket. Some kind of bi-directinoal isloator should work, with both chassis and coach batteries are both the same time. I think not so great if you have lithium coach batteries. The view does have a 2000W inverter/converter, but i'm not sure if the the Vita 1000W is inverter and converter as well. Mine does not come with a coach to chassis charge isolator so I will install Amp Start L cause I am installing lithiums, otherwise trik Start L would have been fine. My included chargepoint 40 is in fact bidirectional but it doesnt operate when the ignition is off.
misteracng is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charging, chassis