Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-13-2021, 05:46 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Changing to Smart TV in 2020 View

We have a 2020 View and will be switching out both TVs with smart ones. We will mostly be using it to stream from our mobile devices. This summer we will be adding a router and new antennae which will add to our options of material to watch

Have people found any specific issues making the change?

Thank you all in advance for your support

Be Safe - Be Well

Karen and Gregg Lund
gregglund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 06:59 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

You know you can get a Roku Express stick to plug into an empty HDMI port on the back of your existing TVs for $ 25 each, and it includes 3 months of Apple TV+ free, which is worth $ 25 alone ???

This would connect to your router in exactly the same way that a Smart TV would. Has advantage of being replacable for $ 25 as new versions of content streaming come out that don't get supported on older Smart TVs and Streaming Sticks.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:05 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

We replaced the stock 32" dumb HDTV with a Samsung 32" smart UHD TV - and enjoy the much improved audio and video.

Only problem was with the mount. The TV cabinet door appears to have been built for that specific TV, so getting the new TV mounted was a little tricky.

If you're only dealing with a standard wall-mount, the new TV should work, as long as it has similar VESA mounting holes.
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:50 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

You are better off buying a device, like ROKU, fire stick, Apple TV, etc. Plug it into an HDMI port and viola! Smart TV! If I were buying a "smart TV", I would only buy a TCL ROKU TV, as they are a full fledged ROKU, and run very well. Others seem to be under powered, and after a few years of updates, you will probably be buying an external device that can keep up.
Old 01-13-2021, 10:09 PM   #5
Site Team

I agree on adding a Roku or AppleTV. We have been using an AppleTV on our RV TVs for years and it works great. You can just use the AppleTV apps or stream from your iPhone to the AppleTV. I have a Samsung smart TV at home with AirPlay built in, and the AirPlay is not as reliable as what is built in to the AppleTV.

Before we got the Apple TV for the RV, we connected an iPhone directly to a multimedia connector connected to the TV by HDMI. This also worked really well, but you had to walk to the iPhone (attached to the TV) to control it.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 07:23 AM   #6
Living The Dream

Or YOU could be smart rather than the TVs ...

Save hundreds of dollars by simply purchasing an Apple lightening to HDMI adapter, costs about $35 new on eBay (don’t even think about the cheap knockoffs, too much connectivity drama). Connect your Apple device, iPhone or iPad or Macsomething, with a regular HDMI cable, length of your choice for convenience and then play anything you play on your device to your tv.

The Apple adapter you need is MD826AM/A.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 08:22 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
You know you can get a Roku Express stick to plug into an empty HDMI port on the back of your existing TVs for $ 25 each, and it includes 3 months of Apple TV+ free, which is worth $ 25 alone ???

This would connect to your router in exactly the same way that a Smart TV would. Has advantage of being replacable for $ 25 as new versions of content streaming come out that don't get supported on older Smart TVs and Streaming Sticks.
I just bought a Roku Express sick for my older and not so smart (it doesn't update its internal software any more) TV. Works great and covers all of the new streaming channels like HBO Max. I plugged it into the last open HDMI port and powered it from the TV's USB port. You can also plug it into a wall socket for power.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 01:54 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

The stock 32" TV in our 21VD not only didn't support streaming apps, the speakers aren't loud enough to hear over the air conditioner (which is mounted a few inches from the TV) and the picture quality is "just OK".

The replacement TV has much louder speakers, and can be heard over the air conditioner, eliminating the need for a separate sound bar (though we might purchase some wireless rear surround speakers at some point - which is supported by the TV).

The ATYME TV supports 720P (HD resolution) - the replacement supports UHD (2160P), supporting higher quality 1080P and 4K video streaming.

And it has Chromecast and Miracast built-in, so it can also stream from other devices, in addition to the net.

While an HDMI streaming device (Roku, Chromecast, Fire stick, ...) provides access to streaming apps, it won't improve the audio or picture quality.

After one night trying to use the stock TV after picking up our View, we stopped at Best Buy the next day to do the upgrade...
Old 01-20-2021, 04:15 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I would just get a cheap fire stick or a Roku.
Smart TVs get dated and will not update the smart features and apps. Not worth the added expense.
Just my opinion from experience.
You can always add a sound bar to almost any TV for better sound. Easy set up.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 04:31 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Roku

I’ve gotta pile on to the Roku recommendations. Unless the size/display/sound of your current TV is an issue, get an add-on streamer. Smart TV updates are slow and will ultimately be discontinued, locking you out of the fast moving streaming ecosystem. I’ve found that Roku supports the widest range of services and is also rock solid.
SpudNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 04:41 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

It can be bigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprochnow View Post
We replaced the stock 32" dumb HDTV with a Samsung 32" smart UHD TV - and enjoy the much improved audio and video.

Only problem was with the mount. The TV cabinet door appears to have been built for that specific TV, so getting the new TV mounted was a little tricky.

If you're only dealing with a standard wall-mount, the new TV should work, as long as it has similar VESA mounting holes.
We replaced our 24" with a 48" smart TV. We just removed the old mount, and installed a standard one from amazon that bolts onto any standard smart TV and swings out on an arm. It no longer fits in the well of the entertainment center, but we built a little shelf to support the bottom, with a small cushion to ensure that it doesn't get banged around too much during driving. We had to drill a whole two holes in the paneling. EASY!
golden13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 04:46 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

If you have a newer Samsung cell phone you may consider a Samsung smart tv with smart things ability. You can stream your phone screen to the tv which opens up many possibilities. I like the Tivo device for around $40 for a dumb tv. I like the remote with it. In this day and age about anything you buy will be dated in a few years.
roadkingdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 04:59 PM   #13
Site Team

Whichever route you go -- Smart TV or Roku (we use Rokus at home and on the RV) you'll quickly find that using your phone as a source for your TV viewing will be sub optimal.

Video that's higher that 480p (SD) uses 1.5 to 3 gigs of data per hour of viewing. So, nearly all phone data plans max out at 22gb of high speed on phone data and 10 to 15 gb of hotspot data. After you reach those limits the speeds are reduced to levels that still will work for email but not much else. The phone company calls this "unlimited" but it's actually totally limited.

There are other options that can be more streaming friendly but require you to spend more for separate accounts and higher priced data plans.

This is a huge subject so I will not attempt to get into it here. I just wanted you to know that you will probably have about 4 to 6 days of high speed data for streaming PER MONTH.
Old 01-20-2021, 05:12 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I think most would use the available wifi for their streaming needs. The phone is kind of a nice backup in the event of no wifi. I agree with you on its sole use as video source. Thanks
roadkingdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 05:30 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkingdoc View Post
I think most would use the available wifi for their streaming needs. The phone is kind of a nice backup in the event of no wifi. I agree with you on its sole use as video source. Thanks
We spend about 4-months of the year on the road traveling about 12,000 miles most years. We mostly stay in nicer RV parks, campgrounds and state parks but a few Harvest Hosts and national forests as well.

We encounter campground wifi good enough to stream TV about 10% or less in our travels. Cellular broadband is really the only practical source of streamable wifi in 90% of our travels.
Old 01-20-2021, 07:47 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I have three "dumb" TVs in my RV, however I have a "smart" Blue Ray player that allows me to hook up my phone via HDMI and that way I can watch Amazon Prime and DirecTV on all my TVs. I guess I am just cheap.

Retired "Quiet Professional". Lifetime HSUS and ASPCA member and supporter.
71_340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 08:32 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

We're on a Sprint/T-Mobile plan with a 5G hotspot (they released last month) providing us 100GB of 5G data that is supposed to support up to 1080p streaming (though we've been able to stream 4K video to our 32" smart 4K TV.

Our smartphones also have 100GB of hotspot LTE hotspot data per month (at up to 1080p), though now that we have the 5G hotspot, we'll probably be dropping those phones down to 50GB per month to save some $$$.

Our smartphones have unlimited data. My smartphone has 5G. I'm able to stream HD or 4K video from my smartphone to the TV using "Smart View" - which eliminates the monthly data cap for streaming.

We also have a WeBoost Reach RV Extreme with their upgraded booster and upgraded interior antenna to help boost our LTE/5G signals inside the RV.

We've only found a few RV parks with WiFi fast enough to support HD/4K streaming - most of them have slower speeds and/or state they don't support streaming or gaming over their WiFi - so using out smartphones or 5G hotspot has been the best on trips so far.
Old 02-27-2021, 06:48 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
Or YOU could be smart rather than the TVs ...

Save hundreds of dollars by simply purchasing an Apple lightening to HDMI adapter, costs about $35 new on eBay (don’t even think about the cheap knockoffs, too much connectivity drama). Connect your Apple device, iPhone or iPad or Macsomething, with a regular HDMI cable, length of your choice for convenience and then play anything you play on your device to your tv.

The Apple adapter you need is MD826AM/A.
Sounds like a good idea but what about charging the iPhone while using the HDMI connection? Can you hotspot to a WiFi router or does that need a physical connection as well? My Verizon plan is unlimited and have hot spotted to the Apple TV on our boat and works fine. Same issue - Marina WiFi’s usually not suitable for streaming either. Don’t use a laptop on the boat, and WiFi usually for email or light browsing, and if not and I need I use the hotspot for the iPad
37NG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 09:39 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut View Post
I agree on adding a Roku or AppleTV. We have been using an AppleTV on our RV TVs for years and it works great. You can just use the AppleTV apps or stream from your iPhone to the AppleTV. I have a Samsung smart TV at home with AirPlay built in, and the AirPlay is not as reliable as what is built in to the AppleTV.

Before we got the Apple TV for the RV, we connected an iPhone directly to a multimedia connector connected to the TV by HDMI. This also worked really well, but you had to walk to the iPhone (attached to the TV) to control it.
Except with the Apple TV isn't that only for the one TV its connected to?
HollywoodGT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
view