Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2021, 02:45 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Changing Dinette in 2014 Aspect 27K

We bought our Aspect new at the end of 2013 and it came with the standard dinette. The dinette is becoming very uncomfortable so we either need to have it reupholstered (it has the "fake" leather which is coming apart in places) or replace it with something else.

We've give serious consideration of taking it out entirely and replacing it with either two recliners or a couch of some kind. The question then becomes what would we do about a place to eat and work on our computers?

The biggest problem, however, may be something that's under the right-hand seat (nearest the driver's seat). There's a raised carpeted area that runs the length of the seat and is probably 2"-3" high. We haven't done anything yet to find out what's under it, but I suspect it may have something to do with the slide mechanism. However, the 27K also had a couple of couch options for 2014 and those wouldn't have had this raised area.

So, two questions:

1. Does anyone know WHAT is underneath this raised carpeted area?
2. Has anyone replaced their dinette with some other seating option?

Thanks!
Old 03-25-2021, 03:57 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

We are in the process of replacing the dinnette seating with two regular dinning room type chairs. At first we were going to replace the table and dinnette seating. We were having a hard time finding a table close to the same size as the dinnette table so we decided to just keep the table and replace the booths with chairs. I was driving by a resale type store yesterday, stopped in and bought two great chairs that almost match what we have. For $25.00 can not go wrong.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 07:57 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, be happy.

Unfortunately, the dinette is the only place in the 27K that we have to sit, so we use it, not only for eating, but also to work on computers and, in the evening, we put it down to make a "bed" (we call it a couch) so that we can watch the TV which is directly across from the dinette on the kitchen wall. I don't think having to sit in a "regular" dining room chair all day would be comfortable, especially at night while watching TV.
Old 03-26-2021, 11:12 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

We just took out two theater seats from a winnie Porto

Hi, We had a local PHX RV renovator remove our theater seats and install a dinette. Not sure if that helps you but we have nothing to do with the ones we took out.
I have posted these in the freebies section of this site.
Moderators, I am trying to stay within the rules.
edomneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 07:55 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Edomneo, how wide are your theater seats? We have only 68.5" in width to work with, which, according to my research so far, makes theater seats too wide.

Plus, I'm still trying to determine WHAT is under the raised, carpeted area under the right-hand bench seat (the one closest to the driver's seat). If it is, indeed, part of the slide mechanism as I suspect, our whole idea of taking out the dinette and replacing it with either a couch or two recliners goes out the window.
Old 03-27-2021, 09:02 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

If you pull the dinette what will ya do with it? We have the circular seating/table and it is just terrible. We have discussed the possibility of changing to a standard dinette, so let me know what your plans are

Hank
hank857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 10:24 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank857 View Post
If you pull the dinette what will ya do with it? We have the circular seating/table and it is just terrible. We have discussed the possibility of changing to a standard dinette, so let me know what your plans are
Hank, if we pull the dinette to replace it with something else, we'll probably just cut it up and throw it away. The "fake" leather is beginning to fray in areas, so it's not worth selling to anyone -- or even just giving it away unless that someone is able to recover it themselves.

As to our plans, a lot depends on what's underneath the raised, carpeted area underneath the right-hand bench, as I've commented on previously. If it's part of the slide mechanism, we'll have to keep the dinette because we won't be able to take it out and replace it with either a couch or two recliners. In that case, we'll either have to have the benches recovered, or we'll take them out and have new benches built that use foam pads for the back and seating areas. Maybe have drawers built on each side rather than having to lift the seat up in order to access the storage area underneath.
Old 03-27-2021, 11:43 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I'm not sure of the exact width, can let you know later today but I know they are less than 64" wide because that is the total width of the slide area in a Porto/Vita.
Old 03-31-2021, 05:09 PM   #9
Just Ama

Replacement for Dinette in Aspect 27K

Hi,
Not sure if you are on Face Book or not, but there is an Aspect/Cambria group there which I belong to. Several people have done exactly what you are asking about. They are a very helpful group and those who have removed the Dinette in the 27K have shown photos of what they replaced it with. One of the nicest replacements I saw were "Recliners" with swing away tables (For eating and computers etc) You can take a look around there if you are on Face Book. Here is their Group Page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1834086740146355

And here is the photo of a replacement for the Dinette.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	recliners.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	178164  
AzLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 05:14 PM   #10
Gpa
Winnebago Watcher

I was considering replacing front dinette seating. Leaving rear booth cause it has seat belts. How did your change out go. As aside note as we get older the dinette is hard to get into and what used to fit 2 now seats one we have 2016 36g
Gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 05:26 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Hi, The change out went great. The folks who did the job made some major improvements to the stock dinette benches we got from the people here who did what you are considering. So now they are much sturdier. We're very happy. And the RV Renovators are holding on to the recliners they took out, so as of last week, they were still available here in the PHX area. But I will tell you the ones in the photo posted here by AZLady are much nicer than the stock ones from Winnebago in the Vita/Porto class!
Old 03-31-2021, 06:46 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

azlady, thanks for the link but I personaly do not any of the social networking things, and so I cannot view what was done, but thanks again. We are not looking for a couch or recliner and prefer a standard dinette. The circular one we have now is uncomfortable and really not designed for use it seems. So I will try to find something in new future.

Hank
hank857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 08:13 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

dinette replacement

AZlady, do u happen to know who the manufacturer is of the recliners you posted?
monytaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 09:45 PM   #14
Just Ama

I do. I was able to get in touch with Richard (from the Face Book group) and this is the information he gave to me.
Manufacturer is Seatcraft; model is Serenity. Ordered them thru 4seating.com
Home Theater Seating, Multimedia Sofas and Loveseats - 4seating
4seating.com
Hope this helps. I've tried responding to your PM, but it's not 'working', so I hope this will.
Old 03-31-2021, 09:54 PM   #15
Just Ama

Monytaker: This is their RV. Sadly, they are having to sell it. They did a lot to theirs. Put in a 2nd AC and some other upgrades.
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/201...27K-5014937977
Old 04-02-2021, 09:08 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Hello ..We have a 2008 Itasca Cambria and have been thinking of taking out the U shape dinette and putting some recliners in place as well. Coincidently , I have talked to a very nice gentleman (forgot his name ) at 4seats.com as well. It concerns me ..not having a table ...but it was not comfortable to sit at for a long period of time.... hence the the thought of replacing with recliner/theatre seats. A little over a year ago I replaced the whole floor in our rig with vinyl interlock plank flooring... love it. Thanks for the recommendation about the FB group ...we've joined it. Nana & Papa
Rowbear08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 10:49 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

recliners

Thank you so much for your response. I am currently looking at options on their website.
monytaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 04:21 PM   #18
Just Ama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowbear08 View Post
Hello ..We have a 2008 Itasca Cambria and have been thinking of taking out the U shape dinette and putting some recliners in place as well. Coincidently , I have talked to a very nice gentleman (forgot his name ) at 4seats.com as well. It concerns me ..not having a table ...but it was not comfortable to sit at for a long period of time.... hence the the thought of replacing with recliner/theatre seats. A little over a year ago I replaced the whole floor in our rig with vinyl interlock plank flooring... love it. Thanks for the recommendation about the FB group ...we've joined it. Nana & Papa
My sweet hubby had a suggestion for anyone thinking about replacing the dinette with the Theater Chairs with the tables. He thought they might be a little small too, so he suggested using a TV Tray (we've carried one in all our RV's since 1984 when we bought our first one. They don't take up a lot of room when they're closed and we always had room to store them behind the couch. We have enough room in our 2018 Aspect 30J behind the couch to store them too (even though we don't need them, except when he might want to use his computer and I'm setting the table for dinner.. LOL! They do work out nicely. Out of the way when you don't need them and handy when you do. Welcome to the Face Book Group. They are a great group of helpful people.
Old 04-08-2021, 06:03 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

We are in the process of converting our (2014 27K) dinette to U shaped for - among other things - the ability to watch the TV more comfortably while not losing the table space.