Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-27-2020, 01:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Carefree BT12 awning upgrade

Has anyone on the forum upgraded their View Carefree awning with the BT12 upgrade kit? The instructions look fairly straightforward, but after removing the OEM switch panel, things aren't quite so clear. I know each wire has a circuit designation, but the Winnebago documentation leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to detail. It shows the switch panel and that's about it, unless there is another schematic that I'm not aware of someplace. I could work it out, but if someone has already plowed this topic it would help.
LAT-LON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 03:14 PM   #2
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAT-LON View Post
Has anyone on the forum upgraded their View Carefree awning with the BT12 upgrade kit? The instructions look fairly straightforward, but after removing the OEM switch panel, things aren't quite so clear. I know each wire has a circuit designation, but the Winnebago documentation leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to detail. It shows the switch panel and that's about it, unless there is another schematic that I'm not aware of someplace. I could work it out, but if someone has already plowed this topic it would help.
We did, for our Carefree Travel’r awning. It’s not for the faint at heart. Best advice I can give you, is test the current wires on the back of the switch, and label them, same for the light switch.

Then, it makes the connections much easier, because like you said, Winnebago’s schematics we’re useless—all of my wires were unlabeled, and all the same yellow in color.
Old 08-28-2020, 07:17 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the reply.

There is a method to Winnebago's wiring, they just don't like to share it. Each wire has a circuit number label printed on it and if you could find the applicable drawings it would make the job a lot easier. For this RV, all they show you is the switch but without the associated circuit numbers.
Old 08-31-2020, 12:05 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

I found this today. It looks like you can find the wiring diagram for all Winnebagos. Hope this helps.

Wiring Diagrams
jdpok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 01:53 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

The 2020 Views have the BT12 kit installed, so I looked at their schematics for more info. This web site shows everything you need in detail; https://www.viewnavion.com/mods.
Old 08-31-2020, 03:55 PM   #6
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
The 2020 Views have the BT12 kit installed, so I looked at their schematics for more info. This web site shows everything you need in detail; https://www.viewnavion.com/mods.
Thanks! Wish I had seen that first. Let us know how your install goes...
Old 09-01-2020, 08:41 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Looks like you have made some of the same upgrades that he did. I had run across his web site a while back, but deleted it. Took me several days of looking to find it again.
Old 09-03-2020, 08:38 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Install is complete. Was not too hard to make all of the new connections once all of the wiring circuits were identified. I had to identify the wiring differences between the instructions given on the referenced web site and the 2020 View schematics. The differences involved the SPST switch wiring and the LED control. He used the switch to disable the system and Winnebago used it to turn off the LEDs. Everything else was pretty much straight forward.

I am having issues with the Android app. The App does connect with the Control Module and I can control the system through my phone, but the Control Module status LED and the App don't show that everything is properly linked. One of the status pages in the App also shows that my motor is drawing over 1200A, which is impossible because there are no flames anywhere. Obviously a programming issue where the Amp label should be Milliamp or there is a decimal point missing. The main page of the App also has very poor choices in color selection. The "Retract" and "Extend" buttons have very poor text color contrasts and are almost impossible to read. I've contacted Carefree about these issues. Hopefully they will respond.
Old 10-28-2020, 08:52 PM   #9
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Install is complete. Was not too hard to make all of the new connections once all of the wiring circuits were identified. I had to identify the wiring differences between the instructions given on the referenced web site and the 2020 View schematics. The differences involved the SPST switch wiring and the LED control. He used the switch to disable the system and Winnebago used it to turn off the LEDs. Everything else was pretty much straight forward.

I am having issues with the Android app. The App does connect with the Control Module and I can control the system through my phone, but the Control Module status LED and the App don't show that everything is properly linked. One of the status pages in the App also shows that my motor is drawing over 1200A, which is impossible because there are no flames anywhere. Obviously a programming issue where the Amp label should be Milliamp or there is a decimal point missing. The main page of the App also has very poor choices in color selection. The "Retract" and "Extend" buttons have very poor text color contrasts and are almost impossible to read. I've contacted Carefree about these issues. Hopefully they will respond.
Have you done the firmware upgrade that’s available? If not, I can send you the link...
Wyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:19 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Wyatt - My BT12 system is running firmware version level V2.1.24, dated 0202. If there is a newer version available, please send me the link. I assume that the link will include instructions detailing how to upgrade the Control Module.

I did receive an email from Carefree regarding the motor current numbers and the engineering department did acknowledged that they had omitted a decimal point. Never got an answer regarding the App Retract/Extend display though. It's not readable in the best of light until one of the options has been chosen.
Old 11-05-2020, 01:43 PM   #11
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Wyatt - My BT12 system is running firmware version level V2.1.24, dated 0202. If there is a newer version available, please send me the link. I assume that the link will include instructions detailing how to upgrade the Control Module.

I did receive an email from Carefree regarding the motor current numbers and the engineering department did acknowledged that they had omitted a decimal point. Never got an answer regarding the App Retract/Extend display though. It's not readable in the best of light until one of the options has been chosen.
Looks like that’s the latest, because the one they sent me was 2.1.19 as an update!

Say, another question. In order to start controlling the awning lights with my app, I first have to turn on the manual light switch—the same old one inside the RV.
Then and only then am I’m see the app light option appear on my iPad.

But, I can’t Control The led’s from my app, until I turn the manual inside switch back off. Seems odd. Then I have full control through the app of dimming and off. And IF I turn off the LED awning light with the app, i can’t turn it back on again in the app, I first have to flip the inside switch on and off again. In other words, I can’t turn on and off the awning lights with the app, unless the switch is turned on, and back off again.

Thoughts?
Old 11-06-2020, 08:16 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Last email I received from Carefree engineering indicated that the latest firmware release was 2.1.27. I questioned him on that point because the text that goes along with the download link referred to the firmware as 2.1.24, but his response was that all downloads included the latest firmware. I then asked for a listing of the changes from 2.1.24 to 2.1.27, but at that point I think that he was done with me. Since 2.1.24 works, I think that I'll leave it alone, unless there is something in 2.1.27 that I can't live without. Would really like the color changes in the main app screen though. Black text on a dark grey background is really hard to read. Not a very helpful bunch.

Regarding your LED control issues, it sounds like maybe there is a wiring issue. The BT12 Control Module must not think that the LED circuit is active until it sees a voltage transition on the LED "SW" input. I wired the "On/Off" switch as a master On/Off switch for the awning by taking the +12VDC output from the switch and connected it to the "AWN On/Off" input. I also wired the "SW" input for the LED section of the BT12 Control Module to +12VDC so that the module always thinks that the LEDs have power when it is enabled. If you wired yours the same way, then maybe it's just some issue with how the IPhone app works with the BT12 Control Module.

My main issue now is with the awning fabric and how it is rolling up on the tube. It develops a wrinkle when it is about half way in that gets worse as it retracts. When the fabric is just about all rolled up, there is extra fabric in the middle and when the shield covers the tube it gets very tight. This makes it hard to extend the awning on its next deploy and often the motor circuit will thermal out trying to release the fabric from inside the shield. Usually several retract/extend cycles will get it to release and extend fully. Been asking on the forums and Carefree, but guess I'm the only one in the universe with this problem. Imagine that the solution is to replace the awning fabric, but it is less than 2 yrs. old, so that's a hard pill to accept.
Old 11-06-2020, 05:47 PM   #13
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Last email I received from Carefree engineering indicated that the latest firmware release was 2.1.27. I questioned him on that point because the text that goes along with the download link referred to the firmware as 2.1.24, but his response was that all downloads included the latest firmware. I then asked for a listing of the changes from 2.1.24 to 2.1.27, but at that point I think that he was done with me. Since 2.1.24 works, I think that I'll leave it alone, unless there is something in 2.1.27 that I can't live without. Would really like the color changes in the main app screen though. Black text on a dark grey background is really hard to read. Not a very helpful bunch.

Regarding your LED control issues, it sounds like maybe there is a wiring issue. The BT12 Control Module must not think that the LED circuit is active until it sees a voltage transition on the LED "SW" input. I wired the "On/Off" switch as a master On/Off switch for the awning by taking the +12VDC output from the switch and connected it to the "AWN On/Off" input. I also wired the "SW" input for the LED section of the BT12 Control Module to +12VDC so that the module always thinks that the LEDs have power when it is enabled. If you wired yours the same way, then maybe it's just some issue with how the IPhone app works with the BT12 Control Module.

My main issue now is with the awning fabric and how it is rolling up on the tube. It develops a wrinkle when it is about half way in that gets worse as it retracts. When the fabric is just about all rolled up, there is extra fabric in the middle and when the shield covers the tube it gets very tight. This makes it hard to extend the awning on its next deploy and often the motor circuit will thermal out trying to release the fabric from inside the shield. Usually several retract/extend cycles will get it to release and extend fully. Been asking on the forums and Carefree, but guess I'm the only one in the universe with this problem. Imagine that the solution is to replace the awning fabric, but it is less than 2 yrs. old, so that's a hard pill to accept.
Thanks for taking the time to weigh in on my issue. The BT remote control acts exactly as it should, independent of the main coach LED switch, just the app doesn't, so I think it's wired right, or the BT remote wouldn't work right either.

They sent me an email for the firmware update but for the life of me I cannot get to the screen past when it finds the device--then it hangs up or times out on me. Oh well, like you said, I'm not having any issues so leave well enough alone--I have to reprogram all of the peripherals again anyway.

I would also like to see an app update. I agree, the gray buttons are plain stupid.

As for your awning, we don't have the awning shield that yours tucks into, though I have seen that on other RV's. The only time I have the issue of our awning rolling up unevenly, is if we're on a pretty steep slope. Perhaps one side of the roller tube head and/or arms needs some Silicone lube? Did it do that before the BT12?
Old 11-07-2020, 08:00 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Good thought on the unlevel tube or arms needing lube, but unfortunately that's not the issue. I've tried adjusting the arms from level to dipping on one side or the other, but no joy. I've also lubed the arm joints. I think that the fabric has just stretched in the middle and there's no fixing it. Replace is the only option and I'm not ready for that yet.
Old 04-05-2021, 02:37 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

For anyone who stumbles across this thread, my issues with the Carefree awning control module have gotten worse. The awning motor doesn't appear to have enough torque to extract the awning from the Alumiguard shield because the awning fabric is so bunched up at the end of its retract cycle that it gets really packed into the shield. When extending, I have to start the process and then assist the system by pulling on the awning tube to get the fabric loose. Even after that the awning will extend only about a foot before stopping. I then have to retract, then stop and start an extend cycle again. This process must be repeated several times until the awning is fully deployed.

After multiple emails requesting assistance, I finally got to talk to a warranty tech at Carefree. He asked about some "donuts" that were supposed to be installed at each end of the shield. He also mentioned some bumpers that prevent the arms from collapsing fully. He's supposed to be sending those items along with a new BT12 control module and wind sensor. No mention was made regarding the awning fabric and how it was acting. Hopefully those parts will arrive soon and I can see if they make any difference.
Old 04-06-2021, 08:08 AM   #16
Just Trying to Help

LAT-LON-

Here are details on the "donuts," which Carefree calls "Traction'rs."

Although your listed location of Milton, FL is over 5 hours from Brooksville, FL, you may want to consider a trip to Stone Vos, located there. They do a lot of installs on Carefree mechanisms, and know how to adjust the arms and rollers. Give them a call at (352) 942-0224. They may be able to answer questions for you over the phone.

Finally, if there is excess fabric in one area of the roller, you can roll a thin piece of foam into the awning at that area as you retract the awning. Be careful, as it may make the awning roll up unevenly. I use foam in the middle of the roller, and it works well. You can get foam packing sheets about 1/16th-inch thick at the moving supply stores. It's used for packing stacked dinner plates and the like.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 07:38 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the response and the links. Now the I know what the Traction'rs look like and reviewed the installation instructions, it doesn't look like they are too hard to install. It appears that their purpose is to spread the diameter of the Uniguard (in my case) so that the awning fabric has more room. Hopefully the parts will come soon and I'll get a chance to find out how well they work. The bumpers should help as well, but again I have to get them first to find out.

Tags
awning, upgrade