Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2020, 05:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Basement air Filters

Hello, my wife and I are new Winnebago owners in our second year. We have a low mileage Itaska Suncruiser 33V that we are enjoying a lot. The unit is a 2004 and is in near perfect condition. I decided to do some routine maintenance on the basement air unit by cleaning the coils, lubing the bearings (bushings) and inspecting the squirrel cage. From what I am hearing, I should consider upgrading to roller bearings and plastic blower. Are the bearings a direct replacement? I hear some say the bolt holes are different. And lastly, I replaced the filters and noticed that the arrows were pointed up towards the bottom of the mattress. This seems wrong to me and the manual says just pay attention to the arrows but I suspect they may have been installed upside down. Can anyone help me with these questions. I would Appreciate it.
Thanks!
GJCruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 02:44 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

On the basement air for my Itasca Meridian I go with putting the arrow down. The way the air flows only make sense to me. I do not know if you have a different type filter mine is a 12x14 one you pick up at any place that sells furnace filters.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 05:10 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the reply. After I posted last night I examined the filters I had removed. The dirt collected was on the up side of the filter. That is opposite the air flow I would think. I reckon the previous owner just thought the arrow meant “this side up”. I appreciate your reply. We are learning something new every month or so about this machine. You guys that have been doing this a while on a forum like this is so great!

Thanks again!
Old 08-21-2020, 02:50 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

You are welcome, thats what we are all here for.

I would however before you post more questions put the year, make, model of your rig. in the signature line. This will help folks zero in on your problems easier.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 03:18 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks again and I will do that.
Old 08-24-2020, 08:11 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

The reason the airflow is down is because the filter is in the return path, not the supply path.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 06:28 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Was it difficult to lube both blower’s bushings?
Did you have to remove the unit?
What oil did you use?
Thanx!
Old 08-26-2020, 09:54 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2004 Adventurer and plan to pull the unit for cleaning this year. I changed the bearings a fan several years ago. Search on IRV2 for "Duners" post for part numbers, etc. It amazing they would use the bearings they did initially!
I've changed the filters I use and hope that has kept the coils cleaner. Before, on the advice of many, I used the cheapest angel hair filters to not impede air flow. We have two cats so them being dirty was not surprising when I cleaned them three years ago...but I was shocked at how dirty they were! I changed to a better filter with no noticeable reduction in flow. The new filters are not the most restrictive, but moderate.
Good luck and Dave travels,
Dave
Davel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 10:57 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I swap out my filter every 6 months (i run it 24/7 even at home) and buy the best filter I can. The air is always fresh and that's most important to us.
Old 08-28-2020, 06:43 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Just a thought on the basement air filters. We had our basement air replaced about 5 years ago. It was done by a company in Shipshewana Indiana. The fellow worked on only RV Air conditioning and heat pump systems and also RV refrigerators (AC/DC/Propane). After he installed the new heat pump unit (Basement AIR) he advised us to use the "cheapest" filter when replacing the filter. He said that the more expensive filters somewhat restricted the airflow.
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote