Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-20-2021, 06:11 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Awning won’t unroll

It’s 91 here in central Oregon so I thought I’d sit out in the shade. Tried to deploy the electric awning on my 19 Navion but it just unwinds a few inches and winds back up. I’ve repeated several times with the same effect. Anyone have an idea why or how to unroll it?
BlueGekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 07:58 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi Blue Gekko,
The engine must be switched-off, and the parking brake must be set to deploy the awning. Hopefully, that is all it is.
Eagle5
Old 06-20-2021, 08:10 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, Eagle5. We’re parked in an RV park with engine off and parking brake engaged. Wish something as simple as that had been the problem.
Old 06-20-2021, 08:25 PM   #4
Site Team

Is it possible that your Navion has a wind sensor that is interfering with the awning deployment?
Old 06-20-2021, 08:38 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Yes, it has a wind sensor but today we have only a mild breeze. Can’t imagine that the sensor would be that sensitive. However, just to reassure myself, I tried to deploy it again (not even a slight breeze). Pushed out and in several times with same result. Fourth attempt it unrolled completely. Wife thinks I’m a genius for “fixing” it but I have no idea why it finally worked.
Old 06-20-2021, 08:57 PM   #6
Site Team

Well, maybe the awning was physically getting stuck, but that doesn't seem too likely to me. I do see some criticism of these Wind Sensors:
Power Awning Wind Sensor
Awning Wind Sensor
Faulty Wind Sensor for Awning
Good luck; Eagle5
Old 06-20-2021, 09:03 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I’ll search for the sensor tomorrow. Maybe a different setting will help it work. Or a call to the manufacturer. At this point, the sun is setting and, if it retracts correctly, all is right with the world for another day.
Old 06-20-2021, 09:17 PM   #8
Site Team

Have a pleasant evening.
Old 06-21-2021, 12:18 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

It might be the pivot points on the support arms need some lubrication.

But the fact that it worked after repeated tries makes me think the switch could be bad or contacts need cleaning.
Old 06-26-2021, 09:25 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Have tried to unroll the awning several times over the past few days and in different campgrounds. Invariably, it takes 3-4 unroll/roll up attempts in no wind situations before it’ll fully unroll. Inconsistent at best. Looks like I’ll be making another tuition installment for my Winnie dealer’s son when we get home.
Old 06-26-2021, 10:33 PM   #11
Proud “No Intent” Owner

As mentioned above, perhaps the arms need some silicon lubricant. There may be a sensor that detects resistance in deploying the awning and retracts it as a safety precaution. Not familiar with your awning so I can’t say definitively, but I’d read the manual from the manufacturer to see why it might be doing that.
Old 08-10-2021, 12:09 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I added a Carefree of Colorado BT12 awning control module and wind sensor to my 2019 View 24D Travel 'R awning. The RV did not come with that upgrade that allowed for "One touch" deployment and retraction. Initially everything worked well, but after a while my awning had the same symptoms. What was happening with my awning was that ripples would develop in the awning fabric when the awning was retracted. This caused the awning to roll up too tightly inside the Alumaguard shield. When the awning tries to deploy, the load on the awning motor is too great and the motor shuts down to protect itself. After replacing the module and adding an additional Thruster strap and Bump out provided by Carefree things improved, but the problem did not go away completely. Now, after sitting for an extended time, the awning will be cranky, but after that it is fine.

What you can do is make or buy some type of metal rod with a hook on one end. When the awning deploys, place the hook over the awning shaft and pull outward to release the fabric from the shield. This worked for me. The other suggestions regarding keeping the arms clean and lubricated are also important.
LAT-LON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 01:30 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Sorry for late update - very poor wifi these past two months. Tried Wyatt’s suggestion. Lubed the support arm channels with Teflon silicone grease and the awning magically deployed. Seems to be working as intended now. Will keep a tube of grease on hand from now on. Thanks, Wyatt.
Old 08-26-2021, 01:14 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueGekko View Post
Sorry for late update - very poor wifi these past two months. Tried Wyatt’s suggestion. Lubed the support arm channels with Teflon silicone grease and the awning magically deployed. Seems to be working as intended now. Will keep a tube of grease on hand from now on. Thanks, Wyatt.
My awning on our 22M acted up today like yours. As I was rolling it up, I could see the support arms binding up in their tracks. Looks like they need some lube. Did you use a dry lubricant? I have the dry slide-out lubricant and am wondering if I should use that. It looks like the tracks are the ones that need some help.
Raxel7851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 01:47 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Raxel, I sparingly used “wet” lube from a tube of teflon silicone grease. I haven’t tried the dry lube. Like any solution, use what you have. If it doesn’t work, try something different. You can find the teflon silicone grease at most auto stores.
Old 08-26-2021, 02:02 PM   #16
Site Team

Hi Raxel,
Another lubricant which I really like also contains Teflon, and it is called Tri-Flow. Please don't breath the fumes. If you cannot hold your breath, please use an organic respirator.
Eagle5
Old 08-27-2021, 07:23 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
Hi Raxel,
Another lubricant which I really like also contains Teflon, and it is called Tri-Flow. Please don't breath the fumes. If you cannot hold your breath, please use an organic respirator.
Eagle5
Hey Eagle. I bought a can of that when you suggested it for those long Black/Grey waste valve cables. It worked great. I’ll use that. Thanks. I noticed my awning was having a difficult time folding back in yesterday. It looked like the side slide guides were binding a bit.
Raxel7851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 08:45 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Last time I worked on my awning, it appeared to be working much better when I finally retracted it. Went to extend it several weeks later and ran into the same problem. After teasing it out and in several times, it began to work again. My feeling now is that the problem lies with the awning fabric itself. Aside from it being stretched, it looks like is is also sticky. So when it is retracted the excess fabric compacts it into the Alumaguard shield and when it sits in that state, the fabric sticks together. The combination of the two places too much strain on the motor and it thermals out. Once the awning has been extended and retracted several times, it then works. I've found that if I exercise the awning at least once a week, I don't have any problems with it. If I get lazy and don't, the problem comes back.
Old 08-27-2021, 09:22 AM   #19
Site Team

Hi LAT-LON,
The sticky fabric is a real revelation. I wonder if you could brush-wash with a car soap both sides of the awning and remove accumulated sticky pollen and contamination? If nothing washes-off with car soap, then perhaps a vinyl cleaner & conditioner might work?
Eagle5
Old 08-28-2021, 07:20 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

I may try that the next time I wash the RV, couldn't hurt. I think that it has something to do with the fabric though and the way it compresses inside the Alumaguard shield. Since the fabric is protected from contaminants most of the time, it doesn't get very dirty. When the awning is extending, you can hear it peeling apart. Sounds like you're pulling tape of of a surface. I got as much help out of Carefree of Colorado as you can expect these days regarding the BT12 stuff, but they aren't interested in talking about the awning fabric, which is junk. If the fabric fails, I'll replace it, but until then it is what it is.

Whole awning system on our View 24V is a bad design from the start because it doesn't extend past the side entrance door. No good solution there because the entrance door is placed so far forward that there isn't any extra side wall to mount the awning any differently. If it's raining, there's no protection when you open the door, plus the Alumaguard drains right there also, if the RV isn't exactly level. I also can't dip the awning on that end because the awning goes below the top of the door if the door is opened all the way.

Tags
awning