Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-30-2021, 05:58 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

I got the operating manual out that came with our 22M. The chapter on the Carefree Awning suggests using a dry silicone lubricant. It also mentioned the awning should be “exercised” frequently to help with the rolling up and unrolling.
Raxel7851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 07:26 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the research and pointing that out. I'll have to dig out my awning manual and see if it says the same. I think that the frequent exercising is the key to many of the problems. Maybe they should print that instruction in big bold font. The fabric used for mine definitely tends to stick to itself when retracted for too long and causes excessive load for the motor to overcome.
LAT-LON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 01:42 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAT-LON View Post
Thanks for the research and pointing that out. I'll have to dig out my awning manual and see if it says the same. I think that the frequent exercising is the key to many of the problems. Maybe they should print that instruction in big bold font. The fabric used for mine definitely tends to stick to itself when retracted for too long and causes excessive load for the motor to overcome.
I think I read something about that as well in the manual. I’ll look again, but your issue sounds familiar. It also stated it’s a good idea to “exercise” the awning periodically.
Old 09-01-2021, 07:23 AM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Looked up the Carefree manual entry we've been talking about yesterday while I was "exercising" my awning. It mentioned cycling the awning periodically if you had a Unigard cover, which is what I have. I previously thought that I had a Alumiguard cover, but I was mistaken. I suppose that both covers would have similar problems though. The Alumiguard cover is made from small sections, so it might be more forgiving. The Unigard is just one solid piece.

First time cycling the awning in and out went very slowly as in the past, but subsequent cycles acted at normal speeds, so maybe that's the ultimate solution until the awning material fails and has to be replaced.
LAT-LON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 01:43 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Just an update oh my 2021 22M awning. I bought a can of Slide-out lube from my RV dealer. I did the slide and then did the awning arms and guides. Man, that thing opens and closes effortlessly. On a side note though, I had the engine running with the parking brake set to operate the slide, as per the owners manual. I did that first. Then I moved to the awning, and it wouldn’t operate. Huh? Then I remembered reading in the manual that the engine must be OFF to operate the awning. Sure enough, that was it. My moral victory today was, it pays to read the owners manual!!!
Old 09-03-2021, 02:32 PM   #26
Site Team

I have been caught by that as well.
Eagle5

Tags
awning