Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2020, 07:48 AM   #41
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Don't confuse stabilizer jacks with leveling jacks. They really aren't meant to raise the motorhome but to stabilize it once raised. Hydraulic levelers like BigFoot, Equalizer, and HWH. Each will set you back $3-4K and subtract about 180 lbs from your OCCC.
That has been my point exactly. So it takes 1/2 hour to set up. I'm there for 2, 6 or more weeks. My biggest concern is the levelness of the fridge. I do like the idea I can carry a few more Lb. of stuff in the MH
sunvale1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 08:14 AM   #42
Winnebago Owner

Tilted Kilt ! !

Hey we mostly stopped with the Resort style RVing and are more into the campground style camping. To date most of the sites has not been an issue with a little adjustment in where you come to rest for the fridge, slide etc. The jiggle is eliminated with some cheap and light stabilizers for longer stays.. As to it being wet and rainy hey that is nature eh, else that friendly host Tom Bodette leaves the light on, but now he has been canned for something or the other but there are many 3, 4 and 5 star inns not to mention AirBnB and VRBO etc.

On them big rigs with long slides the leveling system is more critical for sure simple physics then when you line up opposing slides now we really need to be stable eh. As to the jiggle one gets used to it and the newer rigs are less susceptible to it I believe.

But it is nice to see us marching to different drummers and still getting along and respecting each other while keeping in touch with and accepting reality!

Rolling Stones gather no moss eh!
Old 12-11-2020, 04:06 PM   #43
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunvale1 View Post
With my 24 View I am mostly concerned with leveling the unit for the sake of the refrigerator. What little bounce I get I could care less.
If you have a propane powered 3-way fridge then it is important to have the RV relatively level (within3 degrees front to rear of the vehicle). With the electric only fridges they can be off level by up to 10 degrees and anything greater than several degrees will make the RV less comfortable for its occupants.

I used 4x4 blocks and a 2x12 boards to add up to 5|" of height at one end of my last RV and it was good enough. The stabilizers help with rocking when in the RV and in particular when up on the roof and for that they add value. One downside with the levelers is that they reduce ground clearance by several inches and they may preclude mounting a sewer hose storage tube under the RV as is the case with my 2021 Navion.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 02:25 PM   #44
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy’s RV View Post
Hello All ,

We have a new 2019 View 24 D that did not come with auto leveling jacks . Our first motor home after years with various camper trailers . My question is , are auto leveling jacks necessary / helpful / worth the expense / can be added , etc. . The few trips we have been on so far we had to pull up on leveling blocks and at our age is a little difficult . And if we were to get them installed what are the best brands to consider ?

Thanks for any and all opinions !
IMO the HWH leveling jacks we had installed on our coach are worth every penny. It's so nice to pull into a campsite, press an "easy button" and wala, the coach is level with no effort. Do yourself a favor and spring for the cost of leveling jacks to save yourself 3 times the aggravation for the duration of your camping career. Larry, 2014 Reyo P
ldfeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 02:31 PM   #45
Winnebago Owner

Im 75 years old and have no problems with my 17 V. I use 2x12 to level the unit and the little rocking does not bother me. I spend the summers in Michigan on our trawler and it rocks as well, so we are used to it. The cost and the weight of the levelers just does not warrant it for us. In my way of thinking its just one more thing that can go wrong with the MH.
sunvale1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 09:13 PM   #46
Winnebago Owner

I parked my 15ViewG a few years ago in a campground. My friends were coming. I set up the portable SAT Dish then I used screw jacks to stop the rocking. My friend showed up. Jacks came down. I was wet.
Soon after I had HWH jacks and a Traveler Dish installed.
IMHO it’s worth it. I paid a lot of money for my View. The costs adding jacks is quite low.
Old 12-17-2020, 12:15 AM   #47
Winnebago Camper

Best response I've heard yet... In light of what you spend on the motorhome total, the cost of jack's are worth your comfort. It's worth it...
pequeajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 12:39 AM   #48
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Back to the original poster’s question...
“ The few trips we have been on so far we had to pull up on leveling blocks and at our age is a little difficult .”

Then I would say, add them. I’m relatively young, and have been renting RV’s over the years, and still hated manually leveling the coach. Sometimes we had to move sites, as there was no way I could find level.

Once we rented a coach that had leveling jacks, it was an “aha moment”. Like, why don’t all these rigs have these?

It was an MUST, once we purchased our first RV.
Old 12-25-2020, 08:13 AM   #49
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frobogey View Post
The boards are way better than those plastic squares.
Less expensive, yes. But better? In what way?

The plastic squares are designed to lock together so two or three levels thick they don't move around. They are light and don't cause splinters.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 04:32 PM   #50
Winnebago Camper

I just ordered the Equalizer System levelers for my 2020 Porto. Kind of expensive but with the large slide out the vehicle tends to tilt towards one side. I am not sure yet if the installation will be difficult or not. The manual looks straightforward but you only really know when you go into the weeds.
SpecE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 04:38 PM   #51
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecE30 View Post
I just ordered the Equalizer System levelers for my 2020 Porto. Kind of expensive but with the large slide out the vehicle tends to tilt towards one side. I am not sure yet if the installation will be difficult or not. The manual looks straightforward but you only really know when you go into the weeds.
We don't have a leveling system so I never really thought about it before, but do you need to put out the slides before using the leveling system? I know putting out the slide changes the floor level when I use stabilizers.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 04:43 PM   #52
Winnebago Camper

Right now we have stabilizers and we put them out before the slide out and as you said the floor level changes. I assume with the levelers I will level before the slide out but then later I can easily correct if adjustments are needed. So far leveling the vehicle presented itself always as a problem. Not a big one but it was always there at every single camping event so I hope to put this to rest.
SpecE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 02:33 PM   #53
Winnie-Wise

For us the auto leveling jacks was not a purchase decision as the dealer ordered it ours with them along with the dual pane windows. Having used them a short while I would be inclined to go with them again in the future on another RV.

There is the convenience of pushing a couple buttons and after 3 minutes having the coach level and also the convenience of not having to deal with scissor jacks and getting under the coach and on the dirt. It also frees up space in the storage compartments for other stuff as the jacks would be last in and first out for camping.

The leveling jacks do reduce ground clearance by 6 inches but we do not plan on driving our RV on bad roads where that would be a concern.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, leveling, leveling jacks