Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2019, 04:22 PM   #21
Winnebago Watcher

We have a 2012 View 24J. We used to use Lego blocks to level, as we did with our previous Class C (Trail Lite). Then we had leveling jacks installed at Camping World. What a difference!! We'd never have another motor home with them. So incredibly convenient, especially as we age (I'm currently 67). We camp in a lot of smaller state parks that aren't always that level, and sometimes it takes a bit of maneuvering in the space to get it level - much less of a hassle with the jacks. Also nice when you get set in a spot and then want to pull up and take a quick run to town for supplies or to have dinner. We highly recommend jacks!!
paul2887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 08:24 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

I am 74 years old and found that levelers would be nice but not for the asking price.
I check out the camp site and make sure the spot is relatively level, if not I have a number of 2x10 that I can stack up. If that's not enough I have 2 scissor jacks and I use an impact wrench to bring them up. Than I spend half hour or so to get back of the ground...
sunvale1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 11:06 AM   #23
Winnie-Wise

Don't confuse stabilizer jacks with leveling jacks. They really aren't meant to raise the motorhome but to stabilize it once raised. Hydraulic levelers like BigFoot, Equalizer, and HWH. Each will set you back $3-4K and subtract about 180 lbs from your OCCC.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 10:00 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Don't confuse stabilizer jacks with leveling jacks. They really aren't meant to raise the motorhome but to stabilize it once raised. Hydraulic levelers like BigFoot, Equalizer, and HWH. Each will set you back $3-4K and subtract about 180 lbs from your OCCC.

See: http://www.hwhcorp.com/ml45576.pdf

Depending on which kit you need the weight of the system will vary plus if you have a generator there will be some modifications to the generator that will be required.

With the limited weight capacity of the Sprinter Based models you will be giving up an adult passenger and their stuff considering passenger ratings are calculated based on 150 lbs per adult.

There is a reason why they usually only install the lighter weight stabilizers and only install them in the back of these models at the factory and its mostly due to the limited weight capacity.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:34 AM   #25
Winnebago Owner

With my 24 View I am mostly concerned with leveling the unit for the sake of the refrigerator. What little bounce I get I could care less.
Old 07-19-2019, 04:56 PM   #26
Winnie-Wise

my 2 cents worth-

the joy of pulling into a campsite in the rain or dead of winter and pushing a button, jacks down, slide out, 1min to plug in the electric if needed- all in a blink of an eye. level, 3way fridge working perfect, sleeping level - next morning the reverse, no muddy blocks to put away

is it worth the weight and the price.... more often than not YES at least for me.
Old 07-20-2019, 05:59 PM   #27
Winnebago Owner

lucky you. I just pulled into the camping spot and I could not switch the fridge from battery to gas and the damn slider did not work again. Disconnected the power to it and re connected and still no luck. At my age I do not need this ****. Will contact the dealer and we will see what happens
Old 07-21-2019, 08:54 PM   #28
2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP

NYBobbo. My sentiments exactly. I still carry those Logo block things but use them to level the picnic table or whatever else needs leveling if I'm going to be there for any length of time.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 06:23 AM   #29
Winnebago Camper

Our 24G didn't come with a leveling system either and after getting soaked with rain using leggo blocks and several attempts at getting it level we decided to bite the bullet and go with a leveling system. We settled on the Big Foot Platinum system. Its a semi auto leveling system. We also added the level mate pro. With the level mate you can move around in the site to find the closest to level spot before attempting to level. We caught the Big foot on sale for 1800.00 and did the install my self. Couldn't be happier.
vescotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 07:15 AM   #30
Winnebago Owner

just had some great people from the Winnebago View group stop by and took care of my Fridge problem. Diagnosed my slider problem as well. Now if I can get the dealer to fix the problems right the first time I should be OK for at least 4 weeks before something new develops
Old 07-26-2019, 07:58 PM   #31
Winnebago Camper

We will be buying a 24D this fall at the Hershey show. I've gone through two Class A coaches and a 5th wheel and would not be without levelers. I don't fault anyone for using boards or Legos, but I'm 63 now and just want to push the button... ��
pequeajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 10:31 PM   #32
Winnie-Wise

What to say...I really don't see the need for auto levelers in the 24D. We've been in ours about 18 months now and seriously most of the time we just park the thing, let the slide out and go about enjoying where we are. Of course our class A rigs had them and I found them to be much more trouble than they were worth, especially when one broke. Yes, even the HWH levelers do break and sometimes it is a real trick to get them up and retracted so you can move the rig.

Simple works for us, the legos are in the rig and if I feel really good I pull them out to compensate for the big slide out. The stabilizers are really a joke, I probably will just pull ours off. If you crank them down enough to really help then you are raising the rear end even more and the rear is already higher than the front.

With the compressor fridge the thing doesn't require level like the LP units did. As long as you can sleep comfortably - park it and save the cash and weight for levelers to use for diesel fuel and drive the thing.

I always felt the levelers in our last DP were just a gimmick, slick toy because most of the time I only parked that thing where it was level already. Then they broke, needed adjustment, blah blah blah.
Kayak73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 01:02 PM   #33
" Winnie Nutt "

Thanks everyone for all the ideas and feedback . I decided to not install the hydraulic levelers do to possible weight and wear issues . Instead I have installed the Sumo springs , Helwig swaybar and the Levelmate Pro . I think this combination will be just fine . A little more trouble but works great so far for us .
Buddy’s RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 08:19 AM   #34
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. G. Lewis View Post
Thanks everyone for all the ideas and feedback . I decided to not install the hydraulic levelers do to possible weight and wear issues . Instead I have installed the Sumo springs , Helwig swaybar and the Levelmate Pro . I think this combination will be just fine . A little more trouble but works great so far for us .
Excuse my lack of knowledge, but I have heard the Levelmate Pro mentioned in several posts. Finding a campsite that is level would diminish my desire for leveling jacks, but what does the Levelmate Pro but me? I'll Google it...
pequeajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 07:21 PM   #35
Winnebago Camper

I heard Bigfoot and HWH but no one talked about their Equalizer Leveling system...How do they all compare. We are looking at putting them on our View in the next couple of months but can't decide on which one!!!
rreynolds51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 06:06 AM   #36
Winnebago Owner

HWH is based out of Iowa and has it's own service center. That's a long way from El Paso, but I thought I'd mention it. We went there once for an issue and they quickly resolved it at no charge.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 08:47 AM   #37
Winnebago Master

We chose a 2021 View because at 25' it's small enough that we can drive it to most places we want to go on trips, eliminating the need for a tow vehicle. So reducing the time to setup and take down at RV parks was important.

With the HWH leveling jacks, we're able to set up the RV in 3-5 minutes - automatic leveling, connect to shore power, let out the slide, and put up the shades in the cab. Leaving also takes 3-5 minutes.

We had Lichtsinn remove the stock stabilizers after the HWH leveling jacks were installed, lowering the net weight gain with the jacks.
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 10:13 AM   #38
Winnebago Master

Having jacks can also change the locations/ parks where you choose to camp. We no longer look for sewer hookups as we find pulling out to the dump station is not a big deal when we just pull up the jacks, do the dirty and move back in without having to sweat how to level.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 10:29 AM   #39
2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Having jacks can also change the locations/ parks where you choose to camp. We no longer look for sewer hookups as we find pulling out to the dump station is not a big deal when we just pull up the jacks, do the dirty and move back in without having to sweat how to level.
Another plus. You can even use the jacks to tilt the RV, very easily, when dumping to get it all out. My favorite is leveling in the rain. Priceless. As for brands, pick a name brand that seems to be the best fit, performance and price for your rig; price being the least important. Happy camping, rain or shine.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 07:37 AM   #40
2019 22 M 350

This could be old news to some but OMG news to others. The Truma app. For the water heaters has two interesting features that we all can use.
When you open the app go to tools and you will see Sun Alignment, for solar panels, and one for leveling. The app wil work with trailers or motor homes.
Once set up for your application it will provide the amount of leveling required
to make mama a happy camper��
Coffeebean is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, leveling, leveling jacks