Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2019, 09:19 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Aspect Factory Steering Stabilizer?

I've posted this on another forum but thought I would try here, as well. I have a 2017 Aspect 30J and am getting ready to install a new Safe-T-Plus front end steering stabilizer with the proper mounting kit. I got up under the rig to pre-inspect my task ahead of me and noticed a much smaller stabilizer installed on the passenger side. I contacted Safe-T-Plus directly and asked if it needed to be removed as they say for my rig I will need to install it on the driver's side. There isn't room for both. They confirmed that it needed to be removed...no problem!

My question is does anyone know if the Aspects come from the factory with these smaller stabilizers installed? It doesn't really matter one way or the other, I'm just curious. Thanks!

Al
Old 11-25-2019, 09:31 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Did you ask Winnebago?
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 10:13 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
Did you ask Winnebago?
I have an email into them but have not heard back yet.

Al
Old 11-25-2019, 10:39 AM   #4
Site Team

I didn't know they came with one OEM. But, it's a Ford E450. I looked up that model and do see suppliers selling replacement steering "dampers" to replace OEM units.

I also see companies selling replacements that are similar to the Safe-T-Steer that bolt on in place of the OEM damper.
Old 11-25-2019, 10:48 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I just found out that it did come with one from the factory. However, I'm not certain I would call this thing a stabilizer! It's about the same size as a storm door closer! I'll check the stiffness/movement of it when I remove it tomorrow. Thanks for the responses!

Al
Old 12-03-2019, 07:50 AM   #6
DLH

Good Morning AZAspect. I have a Itasca Cambria 30J and it did come with a factory stabilizer. I replaced it with a Safe-t-plus unit mounted to the driver side. Remove the factory unit and frame bracket. This was a big difference in steering and the investment was worth it. Make sure you finger start all the removed stabilizer bar bolts before hand. I had an issue of cross threading. I bought new Ford stabilizer bolts and used blue loctite. When I did my registration and review I felt that they should supply a shim for the other side stabilizer bar mount to keep every thing level. No big deal. I could of made one. Not a difficult job. Hope this helped.
DLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 07:57 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Doug,

Thanks for the response. I did remove the factory "stabilizer". I just finished the install on the Safe-T-Plus and am hoping to road test her today. I did end up stripping the smaller sway bar bracket bolt on the back side. Actually the bolt didn't strip, it was slightly stripped on the frame itself. I got it fixed and reinstalled the bolts with the blue loctite. The job was pretty simple and the factory was very helpful in clarifying some things. I'm sure I'll have to do a minor adjustment after the road test but everything is marked and ready to go!

Al
Old 12-03-2019, 08:52 AM   #8
DLH

Glad to hear you got it in with little trouble. I had to make a small adjustment also. Made a big difference. Good to hear bake from you.
DLH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering