Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-05-2017, 07:48 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navigone View Post
Did you add additional panels, if so are they on the roof or portable? Did you change out the factory panel? I just purchase a '17 Navion myself.
I added the additional panels myself, on the roof. I kept the factory panel as well, just adding on to it with the 3 new ones.
fourgonbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:06 PM   #22
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourgonbound View Post
I added the additional panels myself, on the roof. I kept the factory panel as well, just adding on to it with the 3 new ones.
Are you worried about the weight?
Navigone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:41 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navigone View Post
Are you worried about the weight?
Not really. Perhaps 20lbs max per panel. The AC compressor is 110lbs and some have TV satellite antenna, etc.
Old 12-18-2017, 05:31 PM   #24
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
What kind of lithium battery did you add, and where did you get it? I’d like to do the same thing.
Travelerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 07:28 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelerdude View Post
What kind of lithium battery did you add, and where did you get it? I’d like to do the same thing.
I got a 300Ah@12V Lithionics battery, got it directly through them, and coupled it with a Magnum MSH3012. In retrospect I would've gotten a Victron inverter/charger instead. Magnum is very behind in terms of technology.
All Victron products have software upgrade and bluetooth easily available. Victron is also very open to discussion about their software on their website so you can ask them to add features, etc. For instance, they're going to modify their software to have a below freezing feature so you can choose to turn off the charge controller charger when temps are below 32F and reenable it when it gets warmer. Their battery monitor is pretty cool too (BMV 712). Everything is done via bluetooth and it works really well.

There are tons of decent lithium brands. One that looks good is this one:
RV Lithium Battery - The Real Smart Battery with Bluetooth

I have no complain about Lithionics either. Buying it from them directly was much cheaper which made it worth it. I think they are also improving their solution a lot and you'd get a battery much better than mine now: With bluetooth, and/or remote. So you wouldn't need a battery monitor.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:30 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

I can't offer input about the solar question but I think that you may use the generator more than you think, especially if you need to use the RV for an emergency as we did in the recent Northern California fire evacuation. We have also used it while driving in hot weather to cool down the RV with the AC. Lastly, it will help for resale when you change RVs as most do after buying their first one! LOL! Good luck with your choices for solar. We're looking at doing the same.
Lakejumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 10:12 AM   #27
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2017 View 24J, got it with 100w solar as well, what did it cost you to upgrade yours , Thanks
JustFwed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 10:50 PM   #28
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustFwed View Post
I have a 2017 View 24J, got it with 100w solar as well, what did it cost you to upgrade yours , Thanks
I got $200 100w panels x 3. Renogy eclipse 100w panels, they're pricey. But you can get $100 ones instead and if you just add a couple more so you don't have to change anything else, you're looking at probably $300 worth of material. Then I did the install myself, so nothing more.

Also remember that you get 30% tax credit on your solar install/upgrade.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:41 AM   #29
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
I have a 2017 View 24J, got it with 100w solar then upgraded it to 400w with 300ah lithium battery and a 3kW inverter. I can run everything off the battery, although not the A/C for too long.
The original NAPA batteries are crap, I gave them away to a friend.
I am also trying to get rid of the generator: I have never needed to use it. If sun runs out, I'll run the engine idle for a bit, it delivers 75amps to the battery. Plus we never stay put for too long anyway.
Was your install on your 24J plug & play? We have a 2017 24J as well......want to place 3 more 100w panels. I understand the inverter etc is set up to be able to run 400 total watt panels? In other words I only need to attach the panels to roof and plug in the MC4 plugs? Any help?
Old 03-03-2018, 11:46 PM   #30
Winnebago Camper

If yours has the Zamp solar port at the top, then there's only 3 ports so you can add 2 more panels easily but that's it. You can also add one 200w panel and another 100w so you'll end up with 400w total and the install will be fairly simple: Just mount the panels on the roof after finding space where to place them, and plug the SAE plugs of the panels into the Zamp port. You'll need to cut off the MC4 from the panels and connect the wires to SAE ones. It's lame that Zamp didn't use MC4...
Old 03-04-2018, 10:21 AM   #31
Winnie-Wise

Recommendation: add solar

I see you are in sunny Florida. I recommend adding solar. I have a 2017 View and there is enough roof space to add three 100 watt panels. I like the these, Global Solar | Flexible Solar Panels , because these glue on flat and you can walk on them. I went with a Zamp controller so it looks more like a factory install.
Tucsontoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 02:17 PM   #32
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the info. My 24J is stored inside for the winter so I can't see how the roof looks at the moment. I thought I saw 3 ports on the roof so what you say makes sense. I read if you install different size panels then you should wire it in series instead of parallel . Having said that I am thinking about removing the 100w panel that came with the 24J and installing either 3 160w or 170w panels in parallel. Not sure if they will all fit though. The Zamp controller supports 520 watts. 3 170's will give me 510w total. Also I am wondering if there's a port on side of 24J for mobile solar panel, You have a 24 View correct?
Old 03-04-2018, 04:00 PM   #33
Winnebago Camper

Umm.. I think as long as the Vmp is the same for all panels, you're good to mix different panels in parallel. The amps just add up.
In series you need same amps and the volts add up.

It's not bout the wattage of the panels but the Vmp or Imp depending on parallel or series.

So you could still use the 100w panel although if you have the 160w panels, the 100w one just takes up space.

There is a port on the side, it's where the generator/shore power plugs are. Not obvious nor explained in docs.

I do have a View 24J 2017.
Old 03-05-2018, 05:57 AM   #34
Winnebago Camper

I'm 30 plus days from pulling the View from winter storage...just trying to decide how to approach the solar upgrade, as I am not waiting for full spring to bring her out, very exciting stuff...;o).....do you know what the Vmp is on your 2017 24J stock solar panel?
Old 03-05-2018, 06:34 AM   #35
Winnebago Camper

We have a Vista 27N. I installed three 180 watt panels, new 3000 watt inverter/charger coupled with three trojan 105, This setup allowed us to boondock in Alaska for three months trouble free. Our biggest concern was with black / gray tank and propane capacity.
MIDMONDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:56 AM   #36
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustFwed View Post
I'm 30 plus days from pulling the View from winter storage...just trying to decide how to approach the solar upgrade, as I am not waiting for full spring to bring her out, very exciting stuff...;o).....do you know what the Vmp is on your 2017 24J stock solar panel?
Not sure about the Zamp, but I remember my Renogy Eclipse was close enough at 17.7V.
The whole setup is rated 400w but I saw 420w peak rate in the summer
Old 03-05-2018, 03:49 PM   #37
Winnebago Camper

56Nomad WHERE DID YOU LOCATE THOSE SIX BATTERIES
MIDMONDN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
panel, solar, solar panel