Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-24-2022, 07:09 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Amp L Start Manufacturer

Anyone have communicated with the manufacturer of Trik L Start and Amp L Start. They don't have a phone number anymore. Number on this forum for them says disconnected. Sent several emails got no response. Don't want to order from someone that does not communicate at all.

Anyone else make a products similar to Amp L Start?
dajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 07:51 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Here's their website LSL Products, for what it's worth.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 07:57 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

We may still be paying for our follies for decades!
I have not checked on that company but just dealing with the local folks and trying to get parts has pretty well driven me out of things. I may have lost track but I think they were built on a father/son operation, so they may have just dropped out. But keep in mind that is pretty shaky info!

Two out of three of my children have decided it is not worth the hassle. One son in law is a teacher and since they are currrently being hunted like animals and life being made far more difficult, the public schools are soon going to be gone or degraded to the point of being like Florida has!
Just going out to eat in the local area is just not worth it currently as there are not enough folks to run a business really well at this time. We went to the local Whataburger and it took 25 minutes to get a burger!

One way to go might be to look for the resellers as they may be able to get the info you need as well as the parts.

Meanwhile, there are many folks on the forum who have lots of experience with both products mentioned. I do not know of any good alternate.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 08:45 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Lichtsinn installed an AMP-L-START when we purchased our 2021 View 24D two years ago. And, we rely on it to keep our Sprinter battery charged while our View is in storage (connected to shore power).

But it does look like the company may have disappeared. RV Upgrade Store (where we purchased our SeeLevel II) no longer carries them.

And a Google Shopping search doesn't show any sites selling their product any more.

Their website hasn't been updated since 2020 - so that also isn't a good sign.

Looks like Xantrex (who also makes the inverter for V/N) may have a similar product - and they would be a much safer choice.

Here's a link to their product.
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 11:50 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

But then, have you given any thoughts to how you might keep the start battery charged IF not using one of these?

It can get lots of complaints on various levels but there may be value in simple when we can't find what we first think we need.

A second small trickle charger is often pretty cheap. Maybe that is worthwhile if not getting the first option?

But then some thought on what the Trik-L line does might also lead to another idea.
They are designed to tap into the coach battery charging voltage at that battery and let a certain amount maintain the start battery at a slightly lower level.

But what happens when we start the RV engine and the mode solenoid or whatever solid state item the newer Rv use operates? Both battery sets are connected together to charge off the engine alternator.

If we carry that thought over into what we do while we are storing the RV, what do we get if we simply add a connection between the two sets?
We get a system that uses the charge from the converterto maintain both of the two or more coach batteries and the single start battery as if they were all one set of coach batteries! The start and coach batterieswill all be charged to the same level instead of the start being maintained at the slightly lower level.

Downsides? Yes, there are always some downsides to most things we do, so we need to be aware of those.

When we use the Trik-L, the current flow is only one way and any failure in the coach battery and chargingwill not effect the start battery. This means that of the power cord or AC fails, BOTH sets of batteries will wind updead!
Some things to consider are how big is this in your situation versus looking for a product like Trik-L?
Are you setting where the RV isat homme and you check it every few days, etc, or is it stored and may not get attention for several months where batteries could go totally flat if the charging failed?

In my case, I had the RV here at the house and looked in often, so just a simple strap between the two worked fine for my use. I always wanted to check the batteries and water often anyway, so a simple set of clips and about a foot of number 10 to tie the positive posts together was fine for my use. I actually liked the simple setup!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 01:23 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I'm sorry to hear this, I currently have an Amp-L-Start and previously had a Trik-Start. They served their purpose flawlessly.

There are alternatives. One common option is the B.I.R.D. (Bi-Directional Isolator Relay Delay) by Intellitec. It comes in two models, one for gas vehicles and another for Diesel. Here's a link to the gas version on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Intellitec-00.../dp/B0721TL39Y

And to the brochure: https://intellitec.com/wp-content/up...BROCHURE-1.pdf

Note that this is bi-directional so you'll eliminate the existing solenoid that allows your engine to charge your house batteries.

If and when my Amp-L-Start, I'll probably go with a bi-directional unit like the BIRD.

If you really want to dig into this subject, here's a link with a ton of information. You'll want to page down to the section on ACRs (Post #4):

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...0-a-26493.html
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 01:43 PM   #7
Winnebago Vita 24P

Just bought one AMP L Start, but their communication is non existent. Like their product just terrible to get any info. I have info on AMP L Start and Trick L Start since I have had both.
Old 05-24-2022, 01:45 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Well they finally sent a email after three days, so they must still be around. Just Leary of placing an order on the internet when they are not around and have no phone number like they did at one time. Have done that before and it took a long time to get refund.
dajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 02:41 PM   #9
Site Team

They are located in a warehouse here in San Antonio. Though the corporate address is a modest home in town.

I ordered one in April and sent them an email asking if I could come pick it up but heard nothing. Then I used the Support form and asked about shipping and why they had not responded. The very next day I got a shipping confirmation and 2-days later the Amp-L-Start showed up. They sent an email saying, "Sorry, I missed your email."

I installed it and it's working great.

Here's the email I received from them:

Quote:
Hi, Paul - My apologies for not seeing your earlier message.

Your AMP-L-START shipped earlier today (Friday) via Priority Mail, with delivery scheduled for tomorrow (Saturday).

Here is the USPS tracking number: 9405509202121599476668

(You have have already received an email from Pitney-Bowes with this shipping information).

THANK YOU for your kind patronage!

Sincerely,
Joel Donaldson, Gen. Mgr.
LSL Products
San Antonio, TX
LSL Products / LSLProducts.com - Problem-Solving Gear & Gadgets
email: [email protected]
Old 05-29-2022, 09:03 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I have owned three motorized RVs and installed the TRKL Start on all three of them and they worked great (in conjunction with a roof mounted solar system). When I bought the first one I had some questions and used the "Contact Us" on their website and got a reply within a few days.

Retired "Quiet Professional". Lifetime HSUS and ASPCA member and supporter.
71_340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 02:13 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Joel has always responded fairly quickly when I email support. I talked to him a couple of weeks ago. Here's his signature line:

LSL Products
San Antonio, TX
LSL Products / LSLProducts.com - Problem-Solving Gear & Gadgets
rreynolds51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 05:29 PM   #12
2002 Journey WPK36GD

This thread piqued my interest so I immediately emailed [email protected]. Within 90 minutes this response came back to me via email:

Hi, Charlie -

Yes, we're still around!

We no longer have a dedicated "phone person" - so all tech support is
handled by email.

This usually works better than verbal conversations, because everything
is in writing - There's less opportunity to forget what was discussed.

Holler if you need anything!

Sincerely,
LSL Products
San Antonio, TX
www.LSLProducts.net
CharlesMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 11:17 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Great to hear they are still in business.

We haven't had any issues with the AMP-L-START in our 2021 View.
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 06:41 AM   #14
2002 Journey WPK36GD

Just for clarity: (1) I install my ALS via Alligator Clips right on the batteries. First to Start, then to House and Finally Ground to House Ground. I only do this if I am going to be in location for a week ±. (2) On occasion I do leave it clipped to the batteries as stated in 1 above. I monitor VDC voltage going into the House battery bank continuously. When I start the engine the House VDC increases to 13.8 to 14.2 VDC as it should via the alternator. (3) When in storage and the batteries are not on inverter/charger charge or external charger the ALS LED blinks after the battery voltages equalize preset level.

I read a thread that went back as far as 2014 about a guy that asked the questions above. I have mine installed temporarily as necessary but it can be wire permanently. In any case, It has worked flawlessly for the last 3 or 4 years. The Winnebago tech service tech recommended this product to me personally. I will say that Victron and Xantrex have a good reputation in the marine / RV industry too.
CharlesMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 07:15 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Alive and well in San Antonio Texas.
AMP-L-START Starting Battery Charger/Maintainer - Overview Page

Added one to our 2004 Winnebago Brave after experiencing a dead chassis battery, now no problems at all been working since installed about 6 months ago.
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote