Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2019, 06:43 AM   #21
Winnebago Owner

air compressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Viair sells a great RV specific kit with everything you need in a handy carrying case. Yes, it's nearly $300 but it's worth every penny.

I have been looking at the Viair and it would seem to fit the bill, it is costly but then so is RVing AND getting caught with your pants down in a difficult situation.....what has been your experience with the Viair………...My need is for the occasional top off of air in a tire not full time dedicated use as an air compressor and compact size and light weight.....and the capability of using a standard air gun instead of that screw on chuck to the air valve is great....I've had other 12v compressors but none would put out sufficient pressure and all had that dumb screw on chuck.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:33 AM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by legolas View Post
I have been looking at the Viair and it would seem to fit the bill, it is costly but then so is RVing AND getting caught with your pants down in a difficult situation.....what has been your experience with the Viair………...My need is for the occasional top off of air in a tire not full time dedicated use as an air compressor and compact size and light weight.....and the capability of using a standard air gun instead of that screw on chuck to the air valve is great....I've had other 12v compressors but none would put out sufficient pressure and all had that dumb screw on chuck.

I can tell you my experience. It's an awesome (yes, expensive) setup. I am extremely pleased with what it does. It can get a tire inflated in just a few minutes so topping off the tires isn't an all morning event. While I'm sure there are other less expensive compressors out there I like the fact that everything in this kit fits into the bag and doesn't take up a ton of storage space. We're got a compartment that opens up under our jack-knife sofa and this will sit on the ledge that is under there.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:14 AM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Air Compressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomB View Post
I can tell you my experience. It's an awesome (yes, expensive) setup. I am extremely pleased with what it does. It can get a tire inflated in just a few minutes so topping off the tires isn't an all morning event. While I'm sure there are other less expensive compressors out there I like the fact that everything in this kit fits into the bag and doesn't take up a ton of storage space. We're got a compartment that opens up under our jack-knife sofa and this will sit on the ledge that is under there.
ThomB , thats what im looking for....your experience is just what i would be doing. If at home i have the porter-cable 6 gal 150psi, but it is imho not portable in a MH....thanks for your input
Old 06-20-2019, 08:52 AM   #24
Winnebago Camper

I carry a Porter Cable pancake compressor. It is rated at 150 psi. $100.00 on Amazon.
Creede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:12 AM   #25
Winnebago Owner

air compressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1953m38a1 View Post
Fact..if you require a source of air other than the VERY occasional need at the tires, you have a leak...fix it. I can count on one hand (and I'm short 2 fingers)of ever having the need for an on board compressor. Other than that, an anal compulsion that is driven by altitude adjustments in mini PSI readings is probably the only time you actually need such a frivolity.
i see that sometimes free advice is worth exactly what you pay for it......you certainly have a plethora of opinion which probably should have been proceeded by IMHO....
Old 06-20-2019, 09:39 AM   #26
Winnebago Camper

I have the Itasca Cambria 27K and had tried several compressors and finally found one that really worked by VIAIR (https://www.viaircorp.com/). They are a little pricey but worth it in the end. Hope this helps...
dehnernc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 01:38 PM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by legolas View Post
I am looking for a small portable air compressor to carry in the motor home. I have a pancake style for home use but it is heavier than i want for the mh....i have a couple of small portable compressors but they all have a problem getting up over 60-70 psi and want to get hot in the process. I am hoping somebody knows of a relatively light weight say 10-15 lbs that will get to 90 psi.
Last year I got a beauty from Harbor Freight. 125 psi capable, tops up my 19.5's to 95 psi a minute or less. It takes more time to remove the wheel covers!! Retails for about $90 or so, got mine for about $55 with the coupons The cashier described it as an "inflator" ergo not a compressor for which the big coupon was not eligible. Thank you ma'am! Just heft the 12 volt ones, it's the heaviest and has a nice storage bag and a few accessories. Very similar to one that retails for more than triple the price. Obviously it is probably less durable but how often do we fully inflate or just top up our tires?? Only downside- it must be running before connecting to the tires. Failure to do so will lead to utter failure! Or so the instruction say. Takes up less than 1/2 cubic foot of space and I'd guess about 10-15lbs.
workhorsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:31 PM   #28
Winnebago Watcher

The newest quiet air compressor from HF, is called Fortress. They are extremely quiet and won't bother the neighbors with the racket that most of the other pancake compressors make. They are quick recovery and 135 psi. There is not that big of a tank 2 or 3 gallon, it is made of aluminum for lightness. You won't have to worry about the tank rusting out. Around 24 lbs. Also do not use 1/4 hose, it doesn't have enough volume to fill tire. Stick to 3/8 hose.
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:52 PM   #29
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeagle View Post
I got a unit from Lowes last year that is a compressor, battery charger, engine starter, and also has USB and 12V outlets, all powered by a lithium battery, but can also be powered and charged via 12V and 120V AC. Haven't used the compressor function yet but the others have worked fine.

I generally shy away from most multi-function tools, but I felt this one was appropriate for RV use. Cost was about $130 if I remember right.

I haven't found a photo of that unit yet, but while looking at a Harbor Freight ad I saw a similar one from CenTech called a 4 in 1 portable power pack, item #15101014, for about $60. Its smaller than my Lowes unit though.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:08 AM   #30
Winnebago Owner

I bought this one

Works fine and is quiet. Haven't used it a lot (hope not to need to). Did test on 22.5 tire and inflated to 90 psi just fine.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Californ...060S/300500747
Old 06-22-2019, 12:14 PM   #31
Peaceful Explorer

This is what you need.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0141KJTKQ
Old 06-23-2019, 10:27 AM   #32
Winnebago Camper

Comact and powerful.

I have been using this one for about six years. Stows easily, light weight and good pressure to air up.
PORTER-CABLE CMB15 (1.5 Gallon) Oil-Free Fully Shrouded / Hand Carry Compressor Kit with 25' Hose https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006CVXGR0..._hG6dDbTC35AN0

Tags
compressor