Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2019, 02:29 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Agm batteries

I have a navion 24 foot 2016 and the flooded batteries just crapped out. So, i have ordered new agm batteries and hope they will fill the bill. Also, i have a 100 watt solar panel on the roof to keep the charge going. 2 questions : Should the coach batteries switch be left on when just stored ?, what is the recm. Agm for my coach ?
Chiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 03:25 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiro View Post
I have a navion 24 foot 2016 and the flooded batteries just crapped out. So, i have ordered new agm batteries and hope they will fill the bill.
What did the coach come with? If the new AGMs fit, get the most amp hours that will fit in your battery bay. More is better when it comes to batteries.

Quote:
Also, i have a 100 watt solar panel on the roof to keep the charge going.
In perfect sun, you might get between 5-6 amps from the panel. As long as the draw is less than the charge, your panel should keep them up. Otherwise, I'd plug in when in storage if you have a PD 9245 converter/charger, or similar smart charger.

Quote:
2 questions : Should the coach batteries switch be left on when just stored ?
, Your choice. As long as they're being smart charged, you can leave them enabled. If you're replacing FLA wet cells with AGMs, make sure you adjust the Zamp solar controller to the AGM or LiFePO4 charge profile. On my ZS-30A charge controller they're the same.

Quote:
what is the recm. Agm for my coach ?
More is better. Get the most deep cycle AGM amp hours you can fit in your battery bay. Again, what are you replacing? What type of batteries died?
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 06:44 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

battery replacement

thanx for the replies about my batteries being replaced. I admit that I have little to no knowledge about batteries, that is why I do appreciate any help being given. the batteries are the original that W Winnebago put in the 2016 Nation, so my thought is that it is reasonable to expect them to die after 3 years.again I don't really have any knowledge concerning batteries so I could be totally off base with this assumption. the original batteries are flooded and I do know that I would periodically add distilled water as needed.my choice for replacement is age b/c of no need to add water.i do not know what the amp hours will be in the new gam's because the dealer called Winnebago to find out what is recommended .sorry- that should be AGM, not age. I store the mh in a lot that does not have electrical outlet, so again I am not sure about leaving the house battery switch in the on position. the lady at the dealer told me that the solar panel cannot charge the batteries if the house battery switch is in the off position. is this true ?
Old 11-16-2019, 07:10 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
I store the mh in a lot that does not have electrical outlet, so again I am not sure about leaving the house battery switch in the on position. the lady at the dealer told me that the solar panel cannot charge the batteries if the house battery switch is in the off position. is this true ?
Nope, not true.

The solar panel charge controller is directly connected to the batteries. When storing the RV you need to turn the house battery switch off. The switch has no effect on the solar panel.

Batteries can last much longer than 3-years. Their longevity has everything to do with how you maintain them. If you are storing the RV with the house battery switch on and not routinely adding water, monthly or so, this could be why yours only lasted three years.

There is a ton of info on battery usage and maintenance on the web. Unless you like replacing batteries every couple of years it would be good to read up on the subject. YouTube is your friend on stuff like this.
Old 11-16-2019, 07:19 AM   #5
Site Team

All of this is detailed in section 6.8 of your operators manual. Highly recommend that you read that document.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1204ABA5-AFE5-4A92-BA8F-2EAFC3B2D007.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	230.1 KB
ID:	172420  
Old 11-16-2019, 07:25 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Battery replacement

Thanx so much for the replie. Very helpfull.

Tags
batteries