Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-30-2020, 10:41 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Advice on purchasing a View/Navion

Hi All,

We recently sold our travel trailer because my wife wants to get something she feels comfortable driving. We've narrowed things down to something like a 2015-2017 View/Navion (24v). We don't want the compressor fridge in the newer models as 90% of the time we are boondocking.

I've read a lot of great stuff on this site and would really appreciate if someone could tell me what to consider between the model years I listed above. I don't know of any significant differences in them.

Any and all input greatly appreciated as this will be the 2nd largest purchase we have ever made.

tim
Pacific Northwest
tbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 11:04 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

We like our 2018 24V. The floor plan suits us with 2 separate living areas, fore and aft. I wish they hadn't buried the propane tank underneath, and an auto transfer switch would have been nice, and a few other little niggely things but overall it's been great. The 2017 is probably fairly similar in most apsects to ours. We also like the low profile, no cab over. Better aerodynamics and lightens it up by 180 lbs.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 01:02 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Do only the diesel generator ones come with an automatic transfer switch?
Old 01-30-2020, 02:15 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrady View Post
Do only the diesel generator ones come with an automatic transfer switch?
Afaik, only 2020 models have an ATS.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 10:20 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Tim,
A couple of things we found out when researching 2015-2018 View/Navion 24V's...

I believe mid 2015 was when the galley window was added (and the tv raised above it).

2016 was the first year that the rear tv was fed with an HDMI cable.

Solar prewiring was made standard (started w/1-100w panel expandable) in 2016(?).

Not sure if it was '17 or '18 when they went to the compressor fridge but that was a deal breaker for us.

Not sure which year the roof satellite prewire started, might have been 2016.

We ended up with a 2016 View 24v found in Az. last March after looking for several months.
The previous owner had not added anything (not even a coat hook) except a sat dish.

We're very happy with the V floorplan and thought we would leave the bed set up as a king but have been happier with the twin set up for easier access in the middle of the night.

When researching these years I found Winnebago support most helpful. Using their wiring schematics they were able to answer all of my questions (using the vin #).

Hope this helps. Regards, Mike
Seymour2Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 11:34 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Mike, that's very helpful! That really helps me feel better about the 16/17 models which we are primarily looking at.
Old 01-31-2020, 12:04 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Tim,
Glad to help.
Of course as soon as we determined exactly what we were looking for, the local inventory dried up completely (PNW) for a few months and the available ones were thousands of miles away. Suddenly AZ. didn't seem so far away.
BTW, I also had a PPI done on the coach which only found a couple of very minor flaws... a chip in the windshield, scratch in the sunroof, loose cupboard latch. The peace of mind was worth the cost of the inspection. Good luck in your search, Mike
Old 02-05-2020, 04:23 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

We own a 2016 Navion 24J (bought it new). We looked at all the models available at that time, and found that the 24J has the largest outside storage compartments. It had the corner bed, which has some drawbacks, but it works for us. We also love the U-shaped dinette with the fold out footrests. The other models with the bathroom in the middle seem cramped for space, with a very small dining table. It really comes down to personal preference. We've looked at the newer model Navions and Views but we also would never get one with the residential refrigerator since we dry camp sometimes for 7-10 days at a time. Dry camping with the residential refrigerator would require a significant expense of extra solar panels and lithium house batteries. Ours has one 100 watt solar panel and keeps our two Trojan T-105 deep cycle house batteries charged during summer time dry camping trips.
Camper Ken 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 04:27 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

We had a 2017 Navion 24j. Liked it a lot. If you boondock a lot, make sure you Spring for the diesel generator. Propane does not last very long. If you need to replace the engine battery, don’t go with Mercedes. We went thru two in one year. It is hard to keep it cool inside in hot weather. Only issues we had were fridge was bad from day one. Got a brand new one at end of year warranty, all faucets leaked from day one, Repaired myself, and the black tank drain handle broke at end of year two. Make sure you get a tire pressure monitoring system. We drove an hour on a inside rear flat tire once.
jlshank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 05:29 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Why limit yourself to 2015-17 or 18

The design and construction of the views and Navion’s are so superior to many RV models that earlier models which have been cared for and serviced on time are EXCEPTIONAL buys. Take your time a look around. My wife and I recently found a 2008 Navion which was in virtually new condition with exceptionally low miles. We were able to buy it for about 30 cents on the dollar compared to a new vehicle. It had fewer than 20,000 miles on its Dodge Sprinter 3500 chassis and the interior seems new. There are vehicles out there if you’re willing to put in the time to look. Save big $$$$.
rthagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 05:49 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Hi All,

We recently sold our travel trailer because my wife wants to get something she feels comfortable driving. We've narrowed things down to something like a 2015-2017 View/Navion (24v). We don't want the compressor fridge in the newer models as 90% of the time we are boondocking.

I've read a lot of great stuff on this site and would really appreciate if someone could tell me what to consider between the model years I listed above. I don't know of any significant differences in them.

Any and all input greatly appreciated as this will be the 2nd largest purchase we have ever made.

tim
Pacific Northwest
We just picked up our 2020 View 24V from Forest City iowa and drove it home to eastern MA.
There are significant differences on the 2020 model as compared to older models. Lighter weight materials used on cabinetry benefit the total storage weight capacity. We opted to add 2 extra solar panels for a total of 430 Watts. Opted for 2 lithium house batteries for boondocking, Opted for full body paint, Auto leveling system and diesel Generator. The refrigerator has 10 cubic feet, electric. The Mercedes chassis is the 2019 (latest model). It is truly a pleasure to drive! The only thing I didn't like was the excessive rocking when pulling out of a driveway, under windy conditions or when larger vehicles pass you on the highway. (common problem found on most motor homes out of the factory).
We fixed the problem very easily by installing a rear set of SUMO SPRINGS, big difference! Rides & handles beautifully without having to white-nuckle the stirring wheel.
bfwingate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 05:51 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

We just picked up our 2020 View 24V from Forest City iowa and drove it home to eastern MA.
There are significant differences on the 2020 model as compared to older models. Lighter weight materials used on cabinetry benefit the total storage weight capacity. We opted to add 2 extra solar panels for a total of 430 Watts. Opted for 2 lithium house batteries for boondocking, Opted for full body paint, Auto leveling system and diesel Generator. The refrigerator has 10 cubic feet, electric. The Mercedes chassis is the 2019 (latest model). It is truly a pleasure to drive! The only thing I didn't like was the excessive rocking when pulling out of a driveway, under windy conditions or when larger vehicles pass you on the highway. (common problem found on most motor homes out of the factory).
We fixed the problem very easily by installing a rear set of SUMO SPRINGS, big difference! Rides & handles beautifully without having to white-nuckle the stirring wheel.
bfwingate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 06:45 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Love the Navion!

Quote:
Hi All,

tim
Pacific Northwest
We love the navion 24D 2019! Comfortable driving and passenger. Fold down bed awesome. Super spacious when bed up. Bed very comfortable. No complaints at all! Modern look inside and out.
Winniewine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 07:58 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I have to echo another writer. I bought my 2008 View two years ago with only $18,000 miles on it. It was like new and I saved so many thousands of dollars. It drives wonderful and easy for this solo woman retiree. I’ve had very minimal work done-changed ties due to age not wear. Had roof and windows recaulked- very minor maintenance items. I added an electric awning and a better showerhead, new batteries and took off. I’ve put over 20,000 mil s for n it without a hiccup. I have a diesel-which I love. Winnabagos last forever. One thing I really appreciated was that the first owner had to deal with all the warranty and shoddy production issues. I couldn’t be happier!
Newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:09 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

We had a 2007 view j until we bought a 2018 view j. Both have been excellent rigs to travel in. When you buy new, there are always minor problems to be ironed out. Don't get crazy about the type of refrigerator, etc. Ours performs fine and we have over 130,000 miles in both of them. It was nice to upgrade to the 2018 and we had the money otherwise we would still be in our 2007 with over 100k. Also the propane generator takes far less to winterize than diesel. Some people get all wrapped up into details but any view will make you happy. No rig is perfect.
plrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 08:33 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Choosing a View

I noted the suggestion that you look at older models. I was not comfortable towing our 20’ trailer, especially going into gas stations with nearly 42’ of truck/trailer. I took over the driving when my husband became ill and I often wished for something more driveable, without sacrificing too much space. After my husband died, in 2018, I was camping with friends when two Winnebago Views came into the opposite sites. Perfect. A 2009 View, with only 16,000 Km was advertised locally. It was being offered at about half the new price. It was in immaculate condition and came with so many extras, including a tow dolly. Of course, I had it inspected before I bought it. I needed to replace the four back, dual, tires. They had lots of tread left, but were beginning to crack with age.
I absolutely love this RV. It is as easy to drive as the Tahoe was, and quite maneuverable. My only complaint has been that the sofa bed was so uncomfortable. I solved that with a pool noodle along the length between back and seat, topped with a 3” memory foam, twin size. Now it is fine.
Hope you find what you are looking for.
Katy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 10:00 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2016 View, 24V, which I like a lot. Before, I had a 2011 Via. There were several improvements made since: solar panel, LED lights, etc. The View drives nicely with good mpg. A couple of somewhat minor issues on mine: the Xantrex Pro 1000W inverter doesn't work - it throws an overheat code immediately. I called Xantrex and unhooked/restarted per their guidance, but didn't help. The frig works well on 120V & propane, but not battery when on the road - haven't worked on that yet. And 1 tip: to drain the gray tank, I don't use the waste pump; I just remove the PVC plug & hold the hose while gravity-draining; it's much quicker. I have some other tips should u get one. Enjoy!
CDAVEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 11:00 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the great input everyone. I really appreciate it! I'm thrilled to report that we found a 2017 24v from a very kind couple of this site. I'm flying down to get it next week!!
Old 02-06-2020, 02:54 PM   #19
Living The Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrude View Post
... snip ...Also the propane generator takes far less to winterize than diesel. ... snip ...
Hmm, that comment has me confused. Please elaborate.
SeeTheUSA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 03:46 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Tim,
Congratulations! You will love it. Regards, Mike

Tags
advice