Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2022, 07:25 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Adding Leveling Jacks to 2016 Navion 24J

I am and have been searching for some facility to supply install a hydraulic levelling system, in Washington or Oregon. I’m very tired of adding subtracting shims, and stabilizing, (mostly do not stabilize) I did install a levelmate (I think it is called)nsure helps but I’m still 88 too much crawling, scrambling, moving, bending over.
2016 Itasca on a 2015 ( I’m sure) MB 3500

Anyone? I know there are some that attach, no drilling, no welding. If I was you I would repair or replace. Leveling, stabilizing, no fun. Just one button, done. Pour a drink.
2lgdterrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 03:29 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Contact Big Foot leveling system, it is electric driven and much easier to install than a hyd. system.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 11:39 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thank you, I did at one time look at them. Don’t know now why I veered away. I’ll look again. Though after 40 years in the Hydraulic business (not leveling jacks unfortunately) I have no fear of Hydraulics. I get your point though.
Old 05-16-2022, 12:11 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

If you would be willing to travel to Iowa, you could have an HWH system installed at their service center in Moscow, Iowa ( on I-80 east of Des Moines ). You have to purchase the system at a dealer, I used Lichtsinn in Forest City Iowa. Lichtsinn then sent me to the HWH service center for the install. Was done in a day. They have RV spaces with electric to stay at overnight.

Guess you already know that it's a huge cost, well over $ 2,000. Also, it will slightly reduce the ground clearance of your RV and the added weight will subtract from your cargo and occupant carrying capacity.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 12:25 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thank you I appreciate the comments. I may have to, although I do not think the installation itself is difficult, I would prefer an experienced installer. A long way to go from BC Canada, but what the hey it’s camping. Yes thanks I figured the down side but manual leveling at 88 is a PIT! Even simplified with levelmate, which by the way works very well.
Old 05-16-2022, 01:24 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Considering that most of us do not enjoy just setting waiting while work is done, I would do some calling and sorting in the local area where the Rv can be dropped off and picked up when they are done.
My first thought would be to check what is needed to add jacks to your specific RV , as that will vary a whole bunch if the unit is not designed with jacks in mind.
We did add jacks to a Class C which had not been laid out for them.

It turned out to be a real bummer but part of that was the dealer was Camping World and they did almost everything possible to make us regret it!
Some of the small points may have to be something where the tech has to look it over and see where they can put things like the pump and where the jacks can retract to get enough road clearance. You don't want them hanging too low, nor retracting up in the middle of the bed or dinette!

Some of the big points which we discussed before going for the deal was where each jack would fit and we found it only required mods to one compartment to let the jack come up high enough. This part was done fine as it only reguired rebuilding one corner of one compartment which we were willing to lose that small amount of storage.

Where things went downhill was that the person we talked to did nothing to tell the tech what we had agreed to on locations! The controls were totally not where we wanted them and the pump was placed in the compartment which we used most, mounted on the plastic shell bottom and certain to drop through at some point!
When asked why? The answer was "that's where we always put things"!

I would suggest a local dealer, but have it laid out in writing where the big things are going to be put and that is very likely to take some tech folks doing a very close look at the RV!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 01:34 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thank you we do know that there are specific “kits” to safely fit various years of MB-3500 my question was and is to find a kit and installation source close by. The experienced close by installation source is of course most important. The kits can and are shipped any distance. Once one is chosen, yes there are more than one. All custom designed. No welding, no drilling, very important for common sense and chassis warranty.
Old 05-17-2022, 07:00 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

https://www.shop.thebigfootleveler.c...-PC-MB2007.htm
https://www.shop.thebigfootleveler.c...-AC-MB2007.htm
They are hyd jacks just like HWH driven by electric motor.
dajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 04:37 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I would use Roy Robinson in Marysville WA. I have a 15 VG and had the install HWH on mine. They work great.
Old 06-03-2022, 06:22 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Hi Randy, I have the HWH system on my View. Today when I left the campsite, the levelers would only retract half way! It seems pretty straight-forward! Parking brake on, ignition on, hit 'auto store'! Made some calls, tried this and that, finally retracted. Don't know why! Is there a trick to it? Am I missing something? Thanks! Kate
View13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 07:56 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

HWH retract

After I installed my leveling system, on the first retract they failed to move up. The shuttle valve was faulty and HWH sent me a new one, no charge.
The emergency fix is to take a 5/8" wrench and crack open the pipe plug on top of the valve manifold.
BikesGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 03:15 PM   #12
Winnebago Vita 24P

jUST HAD Big Foot install hydraulic levelers on my Mercedes Vita which is same chassis as your Navion/View. Cost was $3700 installed, they take appointments and will let you hook up the night before at their factory before install. They take about 2.5 Hours and done. So far loving them... They are located in White Pigeon Michigan. Boy what a beautiful State, ended up roaming around for 10 days and seeing the three Great lakes. Michigan in summer is gorgeous.
Old 08-21-2022, 05:32 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Levelling

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikesGR View Post
After I installed my leveling system, on the first retract they failed to move up. The shuttle valve was faulty and HWH sent me a new one, no charge.
The emergency fix is to take a 5/8" wrench and crack open the pipe plug on top of the valve manifold.
Good to know, thank you! Kate
Old 08-21-2022, 05:33 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, Lenore!
Sounds like I need to go to Michigan! Kate
Old 08-21-2022, 08:15 PM   #15
Winnebago Vita 24P

When we were at the GNR I went to Lichstein RV in town. THey had the HWH on sale for install at $4500 normally $5500. That is why I went with Big Foot.
Old 09-09-2022, 12:31 AM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

1st time RVers and picking up our 2018 View this Saturday... without leveling jacks. Got a quote from a local (Sacramento) RV center here... appx $6K. Seems a lot higher than what you guys are seeing. is there a normal target price for these things?
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 02:56 PM   #17
Winnebago Vita 24P

The big foot levelers are $2900 plus $800 for install
Old 09-09-2022, 03:53 PM   #18
Winnebago Watcher

where? would love to get them installed at this price
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 09:17 PM   #19
Winnebago Vita 24P

We were at GNR in Iowa and drove to White Pigeon Michigan to the factory to get ours installed by appointment. 2.5 hours and they were done. Friend of mine installed his own in Arizona. I would have done it but wife said I had enough to do. Look online at Bigfoot site and they can tell you where installers are. Installation was $800

Tags
jacks, leveling, leveling jacks