Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2020, 11:30 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Add solar to 2016 Minnie Winnie 22R

I want to add solar to my 2016 Minnie Winnie 22r. How do I get started? Is there a how-to somewhere??
CSadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 11:19 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

AMSolar

Csadler, I installed two 170watt Zamp panels with a SunRunner Victron MPPT 30Amp Solar Controller on my 2019 Minnie Winnie 22m this past summer which has a similar configuration to your 22R. I bought all my equipment from AMSolar. They have lots of info on their website and will guide you through the DIY process if you purchase from them. Before I installed the solar I replaced my stock NAPA house batteries with 2 Lifeline GPL-4CT, 6volt 220amp AGM wired in series for a total of 12volts and 220amps. I also installed a Victron BMV 712, BT Battery Monitor so I could properly monitor my batteries. I bought all of this equipment from https://amsolar.com/
I decided against Lithium batteries because I wanted to keep the batteries in the under step battery box and there are currently no Lithium options for that small space. The two AGM golf cart batteries gave me the most amps for that space. Because they are AGM I decided to fully enclose the battery compartment except for a couple of vent holes I created. That allowed me to install the Victron Battery Monitor Shunt in the battery compartment because the Shunt is an electronic component and needed to be protected from the elements.
The Solar panel combiner box I mounted on the roof above where the microwave is in the RV. My 22M has dead space above the microwave and this allowed me to drill through the roof and run the wires behind the microwave. I mounted the controller and a Shutoff switch on the wall above the microwave after reinforcing the wall to handle the weight of the controller. I ran all the wiring down behind the microwave next to the refrigerator and behind the kitchen cabinets. At the corner of the cabinet near the stairs is an access hole that winnebago used to run cables through. I punched through the foam filler and brought all my solar and battery monitor cables from there to the battery box. What I like about this setup is my Battery Monitor and Solar Controller are both Blue Tooth and allow me to monitor my RV house electrical system.
I also replaced the stock WFCO Chinese Converter with a Progressive Dynamics PD4655V Converter Upgrade. The Progressive Dynamics Converter was a direct swap out and has a much better 4 stage battery charger when hooked up to shore power.
I then installed a Micro Air Soft Start to the Air Conditioner to reduce start up surge which allows my Honda 2000w portable generator to run my ac. The Honda generator is much quieter than my onboard Onan generator and can be moved a distance from the RV to greatly reduce generator noise while sleeping at night. Although the Honda 2KW generator can run the AC that is about all it can handle so I need to eliminate any AC loads from the RV before using the portable generator for air conditioning at night.
After these various upgrades I find my RV has plenty of power for boon docking. The 340Watts of Solar does a great job of replacing the battery power during normal usage and will keep the house batteries charged during storage. The propane heater and propane refrigerator sip propane and draw very little amps from the batteries. The largest battery draw for us is when we use the 1000w inverter to watch television in the evening. In all I am very happy with these upgrades and would rate the difficulty for a DIY project at 3 (scale 1-5). I'm not an electrical engineer... but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5170.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	335.3 KB
ID:	176594   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5168.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	238.0 KB
ID:	176595  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5169.jpg