Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-17-2012, 07:25 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

LOVE mine. I just like the piece of mind that it gives me on busy routes as I am changing lanes. DW can watch it and let me know if some hot shot decides to shoot past at the last moment. They did save me from this in Montreal last month.
Schoolsout2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:41 AM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to blacktruck
Arrow My view on side view cameras.

Don't want to rehash all of the opinions already covered but it is a public forum so I'll throw my opinion in too. I don't like them at all. My opinion comes from over a few million miles of safe driving and a career measured in decades behind the wheel of all types of commercial vehicles. I have used them and find the views can be occluded by far too many things to make them effective during normal use on the road. When they do work, the view is adequate if not obstructed. My biggest concern with them is this. When they are installed, too often the driver becomes too focused in the cab instead of watching the surroundings. For many years I taught drivers to do the same thing we used to teach in the military. Keep your head on a swivel. If you are focused on screens in the cab, your mirrors aren't going to do you much good. You can see the pretty much the same thing with the mirrors (most have remotely adjustable mirrors)(learn to use them) that you can with a camera plus being able to watch traffic around your vehicle. The cameras do have a place but when you are trying to train a fairly inexperienced driver you need to have them stay focused outside of the cab, not on the dash looking at a screen. The problem here is that many of the RV drivers have not had much experience driving large vehicles. I'm all for safety items but in my opinion these are not worth the expense. Mirrors do the same thing if used correctly plus it keeps the driver's eyes moving in and out of the coach.