Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2022, 08:38 PM   #1
JC Marquart

Exclamation ABS light. 2021 Ford E450, 2022 MW25b

On a recent trip in our 2022 Minnie Winnie (2021 E450) with only 3200 miles the ABS light started coming on. Upon returning home we dropped the MW off at our local Ford garage that services motorhome. It’s now been there for four weeks. Initially they found nothing wrong. There was no codes that showed any problems. After a week we picked up our motorhome and drove it around our area for 34 miles and the ABS light came on again. We immediately drove back to the Ford garage and this time when they checked it showed 12 codes having to do with the ABS system. When they checked the system again this time they found a problem with the ABS Module. It was leaking break fluid which shorted out wiring. When they ordered a new Module it was back ordered until May 18 with no guarantee it would be available then. I have read on various other rv sites of owner with this same year ford chassis having the same problems with ABS light coming on and off. Not saying there’s is the same issue as ours I am wondering if any other Winnebago owner of the newer E450 chassis has experienced this issue.
JC Marquart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 01:37 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi JC Marquart,
I am glad they found the problem. In my 2019 vintage E-450, I have not had any troubles with the Ford anti-lock brake system. It sounds like your 2021 model E-450 has the makings of a recall. Nevertheless, I don't see any reason to not use your Minnie Winnie while you wait for the new part.
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Old 05-14-2022, 02:27 PM   #3
JC Marquart

Hi Eagle 5,

Glad to hear that you have had no problems with your chassis yet. Wondering if your 2019 E 450 has the new version V 8 or the original V 10 engine? Also I am wondering if your unit has the new safety features, automatic braking, emergency braking, distance alert, postcollision breaking, adaptive cruise control, lane departure, and driver alert system?
Old 05-14-2022, 02:40 PM   #4
Site Team

In that 2019 model, it was the old V-10, and except for the anti-lock braking system, none of those other systems are built into that chassis. In fact, even the anti-theft ignition key system was deactivated and not used. I bought a spare key to open the front doors and start the engine which I keep in case I lock myself out. That plain old key cost me just $1.25.
Sometimes the old-fashioned stuff works just fine. I would never sell my 1988 F-350 Crew Cab, as it is so easy to work upon. For example, I have replaced the heater core two times in the last 34 years, and it is only a ten minute job!
Regardless of the old stuff, the Godzilla V-8 is a great engine, and the best one made by Ford for heavy-duty service.
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 05-14-2022, 03:43 PM   #5
JC Marquart

I think you’re right sometimes the old-fashioned stuff just works right. We are hoping that when the module is replaced everything will work the way is should. After dropping the Winne off at the ford garage I started doing some research on the internet if any body else was having this same issue. I found several other owners of a new E450 chassis had experience the same problems. There coaches were manufactured by Jayco and Thor. So far I haven’t see any other Winnebago owner hanging this problem. Also the problem only seam to happen on chassis that were modified. Ours was a 158” WB stretch to 182” (22”). As of now based on what I read so far maybe ford had a bad batch of modules. However after the new module is installed and reprogrammed if the problem is still there maybe there a problem with the update program for a chassis that was modified. Dose Winnebago do there own chassis modifications?? Any thoughts?
Old 05-14-2022, 04:01 PM   #6
Site Team

I had no idea that Winnebago extended the wheelbase of the Motorhome Prep package. I see that my little 22M is one of the stock available wheelbase options from Ford for the E-450 at 158", so I would doubt I would see any similar issues.
Old 05-14-2022, 04:13 PM   #7
JC Marquart

I think your right. I’ll just have to wait see. Will up date when work is completed and we get to use the Winne.

Tags
ford, light