Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2023, 05:14 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

a way to restore an exterior shine?

Is there a way to restore an exterior shine on my 2014 Itasca Navion!?
It looks now as if it was sanded with fine sandpaper...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	navion.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	185469  
Navion2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 05:36 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

This is totally unscientific, but my 2002 is severely oxidized. I noticed recently when I power-washed it using Zep All-in-1 Premium Pressure Wash , the areas where I'd used a brush were nice and shiny. This was just a quick wash down so I didn't brush all over and, where I did, I didn't scrub. You wouldn't need a pressure washer.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/ZEP-172-...C160/202056508
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 10:26 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Yes and there may be multiple ways, but the topic which surfaces every month is hard sometimes to not inadvertently offend.

I have a 2017 and I will put my finish side by side any new 2023 full body paint. I have never restored or had need to because I wax twice a year. I wax myself, if you have to pay some once per year may get you buy depending on where you live and where you park it.

But given you are heavily oxidized, you should apply a Restorer Kit. Given your question, I would pay to have it professionally done and commit to keep it wax thereafter. Filon Composites recommend Mequiars #56 RV & Boat Wax and if you extend you would get the Meguiars Oxidation Remover Kit https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Mari...03141802&psc=1

Note: I have never used and Oxidizer remover, because I don't let in oxidize. My RV is stored outside in sun under a tree that drops some sap. I am getting ready to wax my RV again to start the season. Posts like your give me motivation
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 04:11 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Is it paint or gelcoat.

If it is paint the Meguiars polish and marine past wax is the way to go. Then keep it looking good with Aero Cosmetics Wash Wax All.

If it is fiberglass you can do the polish thing or you could try poli glow. But check how poli glow is with stickers, I've never used it with stickers. You have to use the poli glow prep and follow the instruction meticulously but the results are impressive. Some people complain poli glow peals but I haven't had the issue. IT does not last forever and you will have to strip and reapply when it starts to weather.
Old 04-02-2023, 04:53 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruizerEd View Post
If it is paint the Meguiars polish and marine past wax is the way to go. Then keep it looking good with Aero Cosmetics Wash Wax All.

If it is fiberglass you can do the polish thing or you could try poli glow. But check how poli glow is with stickers, I've never used it with stickers. You have to use the poli glow prep and follow the instruction meticulously but the results are impressive. Some people complain poli glow peals but I haven't had the issue. IT does not last forever and you will have to strip and reapply when it starts to weather.
For clarity, the Meguiar #56 Boat / RV Pire Wax recommended by Filon Composite is not a paste, rather a liquid polish. It is designed for both fiberglass gel coat & painted. It is easy to apply and easy off.

BOAT/RV PURE WAX #56

Blends pure Brazilian carnauba wax with polymers and resins to provide durable long-lasting protection and extraordinary gloss
Protects against the sun’s ultraviolet rays
Safe, effective and easy to use on all fiberglass gel coat and painted marine or RV surfaces
Especially effective on dark colors and clear-coated metal flake finishes
Effective by hand or by machine
With that said waxes are like to batteries, hard to find a bad wax or bad new battery. There are lots of choices. OP has not been back, but I think any of the waxes if used properly and consistently would have prevented what he is seeing today, that was my point.

I am trying to get around to waxing mine for this year, but everytime I get the RV washed for wax, it either rains or I have to take the RV someplace
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 04-03-2023, 12:43 PM   #6
2016 View 24J Profile

Shine restore

I have a 2016 View with full body paint. I have only used wax on it and still looks like new. Also stored outside under trees.
I have used Poliglo on my fiberglass sailboat for at least 10 years. The application process is very easy and the shine afterwards is amazing. I never saw any signs of peeling but it does require an annual coating, also very easy (5 or 6 coats) They simply wipe on and dry. An additional benefit, the dark water stains wipe off very easily as do most others. The key to a good shine is in the preparation. The surface must be absolutely clean before sealing. Poliglo can also be used on decals with no issues.
AlanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 06:42 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Yes and there may be multiple ways, but the topic which surfaces every month is hard sometimes to not inadvertently offend.

I have a 2017 and I will put my finish side by side any new 2023 full body paint. I have never restored or had need to because I wax twice a year. I wax myself, if you have to pay some once per year may get you buy depending on where you live and where you park it.

But given you are heavily oxidized, you should apply a Restorer Kit. Given your question, I would pay to have it professionally done and commit to keep it wax thereafter. Filon Composites recommend Mequiars #56 RV & Boat Wax and if you extend you would get the Meguiars Oxidation Remover Kit https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Mari...03141802&psc=1

Note: I have never used and Oxidizer remover, because I don't let in oxidize. My RV is stored outside in sun under a tree that drops some sap. I am getting ready to wax my RV again to start the season. Posts like your give me motivation
I use the Meguiars Marine/RV Oxidation Remover myself and then top it off with Nu-Finish Car Polish. It is a reasonable solution. Not perfect but pretty good.
Cruizer Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 08:02 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruizer Bill View Post
I use the Meguiars Marine/RV Oxidation Remover myself and then top it off with Nu-Finish Car Polish. It is a reasonable solution. Not perfect but pretty good.

Nothing wrong with what you have done, but if you don't put Wax over that Polish you may see that oxidation return a lot sooner than what you would hope for. I have never used Nu Car, but hear great things about it, but if it is a polish it is not a Wax?