Ran in to an issue today while winterizing. All 3 of my ceiling vents are stuck shut. I used a little too much force on one of the cranks. I did get it open, but a chunk of the cover broke off. That broken piece is still stuck on the rubber gasket. Have others ran in to this issue? Once I get this fixed how do I prevent it from happening again? Appreciate any insight you might have. Thanks.
Its too late now, but perhaps it would be wise to cycle the vents open and closed periodically during the camping season. It might also be good to open the vents and go up on the roof and spay some silicone on those rubber seals. Replacement vent covers only cost about $20 - and another trip up on the roof.
2016 Minnie Winnie 27Q on a 2015 Ford E450 chassis. Retired U.S. Air Force. Living in Anchorage, Alaska
I have a 2019 31G and had the same issue with 2 of the 3 ceiling vents this summer. Both got stress cracks around the hinge arm from trying to open when stuck closed. I haven’t tried silicone yet but I will definitely have to put something on them periodically to try to prevent this in the future.
The only reason I went to the silicone grease is there was a packet included with the Fantastic Fan I installed in the old travel trailer, they recommended using it. I have a few tubes of it laying around from the swimming pool stuff so I've been using it, It's not a thick grease, very thin O-ring lube, works fine for me.
2018 Sunstar 32YE
2 dogs, Max & Bitty
I read in some other articles that a few people have used 303 spray protectant on the seals. I am going to give that a try since I already have a bottle. If that doesn’t work I will try some silicone grease.
I have not had this issue with mine. I have Max Air vent covers on mine and leave the two back vents open for air circulation. It looks like I will be heading back up on the roof to lube my seals. Strongbow, your problem and post may help some of us avoid the same issue thanks.