Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2018, 07:08 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

22R- Is the chassis battery charged by the converter

In a 2015 22R Mininie does the converter charge the chassis (starting) battery or only the house batteries?
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:13 PM   #2
Ed & Lynn

I have never seen ANY motorhome where the converter/charger charged the chassis battery.
CoastalEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:18 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Ok, can you explain exactly what the relay under steps really does? Looks like it connects the house and chassis batteries in some fashion. Our unit does not have a so called battery booster switch on the dash.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:01 PM   #4
Ed & Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarebear.nm View Post
Ok, can you explain exactly what the relay under steps really does? Looks like it connects the house and chassis batteries in some fashion. Our unit does not have a so called battery booster switch on the dash.
Most likely it activates with the engine running and allows the alternator to charge your house batteries while driving.
CoastalEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 01:15 PM   #5
Itasca Owners

There should be two solenoids near the batteries. One is activated when the engine is running so that the coach batteries are in parallel with the chassis battery and are charged by the alternator. That solenoid is also activated by the booster switch on the dash. The second solenoid is for the battery disconnect. It is on whenever the converter is supplying power and/or when the switch is set to on.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 06:03 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfoxy View Post
There should be two solenoids near the batteries. One is activated when the engine is running so that the coach batteries are in parallel with the chassis battery and are charged by the alternator. That solenoid is also activated by the booster switch on the dash. The second solenoid is for the battery disconnect. It is on whenever the converter is supplying power and/or when the switch is set to on.
Thanks Foxy,

As stated in post 3 there is not a boost switch on the dash. My unit has only one relay (solenoid) near the house batteries. It has like a #2 wire going forward towards the engine. Have not followed it to its termination. I'm guessing it ties into the alternator or other point in the chassis charging system. I agree that this solenoid is likely for house battery charging. The battery disconnect is done by a simple rotary switch just inside the door.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:06 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I like to play with drawings of this sort but they all have their own little mysteries that they don't necessarily tell us about. But kind of like a good mystery, huh?
So looking at the drawing I see the rotary switch just to the left at the steps? That is labeled "battery disconnect and I would thing that would be to disconnect the coach lights and anything else that might run the coach batteries down while stored.
So from here, where is the solenoid located that you ask about? Down under the steps or in a battery compartment, possibly with a lid right under the steps?
I don't see it on this drawing but then they may consider it part of the chassis wiring on another drawing?? We can kind of sort out what it IS NOT and finally get to what it IS!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery disconnect 22winnie.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	170589  
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 07:50 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Looking a bit further (and still guessing!) I looked at this battery view as an example and found a solenoid. Looks like this solenoid is controlled by the switch and does the actual cutoff of coach battery . That getting close to what you were asking? looks like it is possible your rig has different battery 6V or 12V due to not knowing the serial number ,etc. for specific info but they all seem to have near the same layout on this part.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	disconnect solenoid.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	170590  
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 08:19 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

The chassis battery is not normally charged by any of the house battery charging systems (converter and/or solar). The charge relay connects the house and chassis batteries to a) provide a boost for starting the engine; b) allowing the house batteries to be charged by the engine alternator.

If you want your house charging system(s) to maintain the chassis battery, you need to add a Trik-L-Charger or it's big brother the Amp-L-Start. Either one of these devices will use the house battery charging circuit(s) to maintain the chassis battery.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 08:48 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the lead on the Amp-L-Start. That's what I was looking for. Knew about the trickle charger for sure, but not the L-Start.
Old 11-25-2018, 05:48 PM   #11
CoveredWagon

Chassis battery charging.

I added a 1.5 amp charger so the chassis battery is being charges while plugged in, running the generator, or while my inverter is turned on. It works great and doesn't use much 110v when using the inverter.
CoveredWagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, chassis, converter