Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-13-2022, 08:14 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

22M Leaky Black/gray tank valves

Hi - Our new to us 2019 22M has the leaky gray or black tank valve issue. I've researched on here and have seen other with similar issues. I did purchase one of those Valterra twist on valves but realized it wont be very helpful if I can't leave it on all the time which I worry might be too low.

Does anyone else drive with one of these always attached?

Ultimately the bad valve would need to be addressed but the previous owner seemed to have problems with it even after the valve was replaced. The long cable run from the handle to the valve seems to be the weakest link in the setup. I'm the type that wouldn't mind to remove the cable and put regular valves in which of course would mean I'd I have to crawl under on the passenger side to pull them.

I haven't had out on first trip which is tomorrow so I'm just thinking ahead how to address it when on the road.

Thaks
Ben
Old 02-13-2022, 09:20 AM   #2
Site Team

Hi Ben,
Sticky cable action can keep the valves partially open. I use Triflow lubricant on my cables, and have no problems. Spray both ends of the cables when the valves are closed. As you drain each tank, then spray both ends of the the now-exposed cables again. Please hold your breath while spraying, or use an organic respirator.
Eagle5
Below is a sideways view of the valves on my 22M:
Old 02-13-2022, 11:21 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelm130 View Post
Hi - Our new to us 2019 22M has the leaky gray or black tank valve issue. I've researched on here and have seen other with similar issues. I did purchase one of those Valterra twist on valves but realized it wont be very helpful if I can't leave it on all the time which I worry might be too low.

Does anyone else drive with one of these always attached?

Ultimately the bad valve would need to be addressed but the previous owner seemed to have problems with it even after the valve was replaced. The long cable run from the handle to the valve seems to be the weakest link in the setup. I'm the type that wouldn't mind to remove the cable and put regular valves in which of course would mean I'd I have to crawl under on the passenger side to pull them.

I haven't had out on first trip which is tomorrow so I'm just thinking ahead how to address it when on the road.

Thaks
Ben
My View did leaked when it was brand new. A common problem with the cables is that the installer cut the outside sheathing of the cable too short and not an issue with the valve seal. It can be a simple fix. The cable is like a bicycle brake cable. You need an Allen wrench to remove the cable at the valve, and loosen the screw at the valve that holds the cable sheathing. Remove the cable and slice a small amount of sheathing off. This will allow more travel of the inner cable so the valve can be pushed in all the way.

You can do a quick inspection by looking at the valve rod that the cable is connected to. If the rod does not look like its pushed in all the way, the cable sheathing needs to be trimmed back.
crah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 03:22 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thanks guys! I’ll give it a good squirt of lube and inspect the cable ends and hope for the best. Once I get to where it is warmer
Old 02-14-2022, 11:02 AM   #5
Winnebago owner

I also had issues with the valves not closing completely. so I got under my 22M and looked at routing of cable. I discovered my black tank cable routed up almost to the floor of rig , so there was so much resistance to moving back and forth as cable wasn't straight line to valves. Fix: I took 2----- 1/2" pex water lines cut just short of dump valves and attached to 3" waste pipe that goes to opposite side where dump handles are with stainless steel hose clamps. I rerouted cables thru water lines and cut off about a foot of extra cable.. Now cable can only flex inside water line, way easier to close valve correctly.
Old 02-15-2022, 05:41 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Good idea Dean. I’ll crawl under mine when we get home and see how the cables are routed.
Old 02-21-2022, 07:44 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We've had a similar problem with our View. Then the last time we drained it, the entire attachment fell off creating quite a mess. I've reattached it but not been out since so not sure if this also fixes the leaky valve. I'll try the suggestions I've read here for that.
SocioSam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, tank