Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-17-2021, 10:18 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2022M possibly bottoming out in driveway

We are getting a new 2022 class C 24 foot next month. I am concerned about it bottoming out in the rear when turning into uphill driveway. If so, what can I do to remedy the problem? Damage? Thanks!
NormKeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 10:31 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

We have the same issue and it does vary with each motorhome due to small points on the design. One big one fo rus was the location of the drains as those are difficult to change, They need to go downhill!
We tried using a ramp at the ditchline so that the wheels were not dropping so low but that got old really quick and we tried bending the drain line up as high as possible and found that was still not enough.

We found it hard to build a bridge that was long enough, wide enough, and still light enough to carryout and place!

We swapped RV and that was one of several points we looked for the current issue as the drains are higher and inside a wet bay, no hanging underneath and behind the rear tires!

Sometimes the best solution is to admit we goofed and solve it rather than let it ruin every trip!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 10:46 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Every situation is different but we have not dragged bottom with our 22M anywhere that I can recall. Our previous 32ft class C (not a Minnie Winnie) would drag often. Usually was the trailer hitch which is pretty substantial so no damage..

This might be hard to do on driveway entry, but hitting change in slope at an angle can help.
blifsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 11:43 AM   #4
Site Team

Many RVs with a long overhang have two V-shaped bars hanging down in the back and those are intended to protect the back of the RV. And some folks put large heavy duty casters (wheels) on the back frame to help with the issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	skidbars.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	179651   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 12.42.36 PM.png
Views:	73
Size:	668.4 KB
ID:	179652  

Old 06-17-2021, 11:50 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Looks like the route to go, thank!
Old 06-17-2021, 12:43 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormKeller View Post
We are getting a new 2022 class C 24 foot next month. I am concerned about it bottoming out in the rear when turning into uphill driveway. If so, what can I do to remedy the problem? Damage? Thanks!
Since you haven't yet taken delivery, you might want to request that the Winnebago dealer deliver it with larger diameter tires on it (of course including the spare tire).

We have for years had larger diameter tires on our 24 ft. Winnebago Itasca Class C that gives it more ground clearance.

It drives just fine - other than the speedometer reading about 1.5 miles per hour slower than actual, which is of no real concern.

That 22M model appears to be an excellent small Class C, by the way. Is it built on a Ford E350 or E450 chassis?
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 01:09 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Two-inch larger diameter tires will only add 1 inch of additional ground clearance. If this is a concern it would be better to purchase a shorter motorhome with less of an overhang behind the rear wheels.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 03:09 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

On the 350
Old 06-18-2021, 05:38 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkman View Post
Two-inch larger diameter tires will only add 1 inch of additional ground clearance. If this is a concern it would be better to purchase a shorter motorhome with less of an overhang behind the rear wheels.

One inch may be all that's needed, plus - larger diameter tires may improve fuel mileage a bit and reduce tire wear a bit.
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 09:28 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

We have a 22m and never had a problem bottoming but if I had to drive it uphill in the driveway the first thing I would do is try backing it up the driveway, rear end first ???

Might be possible to fill the curb in with asphalt too.
TATANKA01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 05:04 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Have you tried placing boards, such as 2” x 10” under the tires to raise it as you are pulling into the driveway?
T00lman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 05:09 PM   #12
2004 Minnie 29B

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormKeller View Post
Probably too late now, but when I got my new minnie back in 2004 part of the purchase contract was that they had to bring the same model out and show that it could make it up my driveway with out bottoming out. First attempt (by them) bottomed out and took out the hitch. Second attempt backing up the driveway worked and I have been using it for 17 years. The second method was to use two short ramps to get over the curb gutter and up on the sidewalk. It only works when backing in though and the two ramps must be used. Can't go in front ways. So recommendation is to take it slow and see if different methods will work.
RV Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 05:23 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Larger tires will reduce fuel economy as more weight to spin. Larger tires will make the speedometer inaccurate and improvement if any would be masked. With larger tires my truck at 65 mph actually was traveling at 67 mph according to the GPS.

My 2021 Navion cannot make it up my driveway without bottoming out so I keep it at an RV storage yard. The $2400 per year in yard fees are part of the cost of our having the Class C motorhome. A Class B motorhome would have saved us the $2400 a year but having rented one for a trip in Canada I know it does not suit how we travel.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 06:18 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

22 m possibly bottoming out

I have a 2019 22m and I bottomed out on my driveway. So I bought a set of
skid wheels from Camping world [Item No. 49076] about $100. They worked find until I hit the drive way on a gas station a little hard. They are made from cast aluminum and they broke. They are manufactured by Ulta-Fab and they stood behind them and sent me a new wheel. The also offered some steel skid wheels, but I declined them. After breaking two more wheels, I accepted the steel wheels from them. They worked fine. I tried to rubberize them but was unsuccessful.

henry
2019 Winne 22m
wkfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 06:20 PM   #15
Former Winnebago Class A

There are "Lift Kit" options available also.... Just search the web....

I solved my travel trailer grounding into the driveway with a lift kit, but it's surely going to be more expensive lifting a Class C....

Good Luck...
Old 06-23-2021, 08:23 PM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

We have a 19D Navion and find that coming out of drive at a slight angle works quite well. We had the stabilizers removed when levers installed and the old mounts take most of any scraping we suffer.
Klowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 11:06 PM   #17
Site Team

Hi Norm,
On my 2019 Minnie Winnie 22M, the low-point would have been the stabilizing jacks, should I have ordered them.
I knew my driveway was too steep, so I cut down a dozen trees, re-contoured the driveway, and poured fresh concrete.
When I measured an E-350 22M back in November of 2018, I found the scrubbers to be 88" behind the tire contact patch @ 14" above the ground.
So far, I have never hit the scrubbers on my 22M.
What is the slope on your driveway?
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 06-23-2021, 11:15 PM   #18

If you driveway takes off up the hill with-in 15-20 feet of the main road, I can see why you are concerned.

If a 24' RV bottoms out... everything longer will too.

Your only alternative is to throw 2-4 Cu-Yds of dirt on the problem, or park it in an offsite RV storage lot.

That wheel set-up might work too. But you can get stuck with that "V" drag protector... and it will scratch the heck out of your driveway!

Can you test drive it and take it home before you buy it?
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 11:27 PM   #19
Site Team

Just to be clear, my driveway had a hump
Old 07-16-2021, 07:55 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

I have a 22R which is about 7.5 incles shorter than than the M. One reason I got the R and not the M was because I have a steep drive and I knew I couldn't make it up. Had dealer bring a Vista and it couldn't make it but it was longer and the generator exhaust was at the back. At least with the R generator exhaust is up front. I did get the automatic stabilizers (not my choice but only unit available) and the pad on the right stabilizer dragged a little. I thought it would be okay but on one trip down the pad got twisted and was digging into the asphalt. Ended up taking off the stabilizer (easy since only 4 bolts) and got a set of wheels installed on the hitch receiver. Now I can make it up and down and no dragging. I got the wheels with the orange hard platic coating. It appears that they are doing the job since they do have a slight coating of asphalt but are working as intended.
Chauptma is offline   Reply With Quote