Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2021, 08:05 PM   #41
Winnebago Master

It's not unusual for WBO to wait for Sprinter chassis from MB.

This happened last year - when there was a delay in getting the 2020 chassis for WBO's 2021 models. Our 2021 View ended up on a 2019 MB chassis...

The combination of the increased demand for new RVs coupled with the delays caused by the pandemic - especially delays in getting shipping containers for overseas shipping, is going to be a challenge for a while...

Other industries are seeing the same delays... Auto manufacturers are delaying production because they can't get the semiconductor chips they use in their vehicles.

Though the situation get (much) better in a few months...
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:10 AM   #42
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprochnow View Post
It's not unusual for WBO to wait for Sprinter chassis from MB.

This happened last year - when there was a delay in getting the 2020 chassis for WBO's 2021 models. Our 2021 View ended up on a 2019 MB chassis...
I hope the 2019 chassis was the newer chassis with all the safety features, etc. I would definitely refuse delivery if my unit does not have the same level of features as when I ordered.

How could you tell what model year chassis your unit came with?
Old 04-12-2021, 10:16 AM   #43
Winnebago Master

Functionally, there weren't supposed to be any differences between 2019 and 2020 chassis.

Externally, it appears WBO changed the taillights with the 2020 chassis. Our view (listed in the paperwork as a 2021 model) has the short taillights. Later 2021 units (I'm assuming with the 2020 chassis) have the tall taillights.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:51 AM   #44
Winnebago Camper

Model year difference between MB and WBO

It is logical that current WBO models are built on previous year MB chassis. My guess is that most 2021 WBO models will be built with 2020 MB chassis. The good news is that there are very few changes in the chassis models from year to year. It's a truck, designed mostly for commercial operations. Unlike automobiles that have mostly style changes year to year, truck designs are usually very stable for many years.
DrMack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 12:03 PM   #45
Winnebago Master

The biggest potential for changes is with the MBUX system - and those changes would be software, that could be applied to 2019 and later models.

They have changed their policy to allow RVs to use Mercedes Me Connect (consumer) vs. the Mercedes Pro Connect (business) that was originally provided with Sprinter-based vehicles.

Otherwise, since we received our View last June, haven't seen any noticeable software improvements - while our Tesla vehicles are getting over-the-air updates every few weeks.

Other than software, it's likely MB won't make any major changes to Sprinter for a while.
Old 05-21-2021, 04:36 PM   #46
Winnebago Watcher

To the original poster Dave5131. Have you had any more info on the delivery of your 24D?? We have also ordered a new View back in Sept. of 2020. We also have not taken delivery as of yet. Talked to both our Dealer and Winnebago today shipping of our unit should / could be next week or the week after. Seems to me like they keep moving the goal posts farther away every time I call.
TZW737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 04:48 PM   #47
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZW737 View Post
To the original poster Dave5131. Have you had any more info on the delivery of your 24D?? We have also ordered a new View back in Sept. of 2020. We also have not taken delivery as of yet. Talked to both our Dealer and Winnebago today shipping of our unit should / could be next week or the week after. Seems to me like they keep moving the goal posts farther away every time I call.
You are more patient than I am. I ordered in Feb. with a scheduled date of early July. I am being told this is still on schedule.

I am going to be a crazy person if it goes much later than that. I am already making travel arrangements as I have to pick the unit up 2000 miles away. And I have been paying $300/month for storage for the last 3 months in anticipation of its arrival.
Old 05-21-2021, 05:25 PM   #48
Winnebago Watcher

Neon do you have an order number or a Winnebago serial number or a vin # of the chassie if you do you can call Winnebago customer service in Iowa and ask questions. But be for warned they will be very tight lipped seems they like to keep all the info flow through their dealers. I might have gotten someone in trouble for releasing to much info. I too have made a few reservation and rented a camp ground spot for a year that have been paid for and would be used if I just had the RV.
TZW737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 07:50 AM   #49
Winnebago Master

Any delays in production are likely outside of Winnebago's control - because of the delays in manufacturing and shipping of components. Like other manufacturers, WBO is likely being as creative as possible to source parts they can use to build new units.

Because of these shortages, it's going to be difficult for any manufacturer to accurately predict when they'll be able to deliver a specific unit. At this point, they're probably guessing when they'll be able to either get the parts they've ordered or they're able to scrounge up parts from an alternate supplier. So the actual delivery date (especially if it is more than a month out) could be (much) later or possibly even earlier than their current projections.

Unless you're having problems with your dealership, they're probably the best channel to use - since they're tracking many orders they've placed - and that continue to be delayed - and should be able to more easily find out the current status of each of their orders.

While it may be difficult - unless you're prepared to cancel your order and hunt for a replacement (likely used) RV somewhere else - all you can do is be patient - and continue to look forward to getting the RV you've ordered...

And, if you've had your order for a while, one benefit - you should still get the price protection that's no longer available for new orders.
Old 05-23-2021, 10:08 AM   #50
Winnebago Camper

I was told last month my ship date is August 24th, so you are doing good if you will have it in June! Is that what they originally told you? Maybe I should call them again to see if mine got pushed up as well. That would be great!! Where are you located in the U.S.?
dave5131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 10:49 AM   #51
Winnebago Camper

I now have a chassis VIN as of 5-14-2021. Completion June 16. I am suppose to take delivery June 23 to give dealer time to go through it. The dealer is 1 mile from factory so they will pick it up on June 16. The process is 2 months behind. Almost everyone who has posted here and on facebook with a factory order is 2 months behind unless they were very lucky to catch a cancellation. Original delivery date was April, 2021. The one issue I am now hearing is no awnings. Hopefully when mine is scheduled to be done, the awning will be available.
berniez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 11:24 AM   #52
Winnebago Camper

Oh wow! My original date was June. It probably helps your dealer is near the factory. I will call the District Manager tomorrow. Thanks
dave5131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 05:16 PM   #53
Winnie-Wise

When I learned of the order ETA for Winnebago and Leisure Travel Vans back in September of last year I started looking for 2020 or 2021 motorhomes that would be using the new Mercedes chassis. It took nearly two months to find a new Navion 24D that a dealer in Oregon was expecting to arrive in a day or two. I immediately made a $5,000 deposit on the motorhome and the following week flew up to Oregon to complete the purchase and drive it home.

We have already lost a year of travel with the pandemic and I was not going to take a chance of losing another year. Highly recommend looking for a used motorhome that is "good enough". Quite likely you will save $50,000 as well which is a nice amount to have for travel or to buy a toad.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 05:22 PM   #54
Winnebago Camper

Just received a phone call from Lichtsinn, my motorhome arrived today 3 weeks early. Can be picked up around June 10, after prep and such. Lichtsinn slots their deliveries. I have a one way rental already scheduled for June 22. Going to try and change it Wednesday. If i can't, will just pick it up June 23 as planned.
Old 05-24-2021, 09:09 PM   #55
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by berniez View Post
Just received a phone call from Lichtsinn, my motorhome arrived today 3 weeks early. Can be picked up around June 10, after prep and such. Lichtsinn slots their deliveries. I have a one way rental already scheduled for June 22. Going to try and change it Wednesday. If i can't, will just pick it up June 23 as planned.
Congrats! That is good news.
Old 05-25-2021, 09:02 AM   #56
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by berniez View Post
Last June, we had our delivery scheduled for Monday morning. Since we were scheduled for leveling system installation at the HWH factory on Tuesday morning, we were planning to do the delivery in the morning and drive to HWH (in Moscow, Iowa) in the afternoon - which wouldn't left us much time with the RV before we left Lichtsinn.

So we decided on the previous Friday morning to drive 1000 miles in about 24 hours from Houston to Forest City and they were able to process the purchase paperwork on Saturday afternoon and give us possession of our 2021 View 24D. That gave us Saturday night and all of Sunday to "break in" our new View, find a few problems - and were better prepared with questions during our walkthrough on Monday morning.

So, they may be able to move the purchase a day earlier, especially if you're willing to wait a day until they do the walkthrough.

And, would strongly recommend you spend at least one night (two would be better) at or near Lichtsinn before leaving, so they can immediately address any obvious issues they missed during their inspections.
Old 05-25-2021, 03:49 PM   #57
Winnebago Camper

Our plan is to drive there using a one way rental. Arrive sometime in the late morning. Go through the orientation. Spend the night there and next morning to see if there are any issues and get them corrected right away hopefully. If it requires staying an extra day, we will do that. Thanks for your help.

Quote:
Last June, we had our delivery scheduled for Monday morning. Since we were scheduled for leveling system installation at the HWH factory on Tuesday morning, we were planning to do the delivery in the morning and drive to HWH (in Moscow, Iowa) in the afternoon - which wouldn't left us much time with the RV before we left Lichtsinn.

So we decided on the previous Friday morning to drive 1000 miles in about 24 hours from Houston to Forest City and they were able to process the purchase paperwork on Saturday afternoon and give us possession of our 2021 View 24D. That gave us Saturday night and all of Sunday to "break in" our new View, find a few problems - and were better prepared with questions during our walkthrough on Monday morning.

So, they may be able to move the purchase a day earlier, especially if you're willing to wait a day until they do the walkthrough.

And, would strongly recommend you spend at least one night (two would be better) at or near Lichtsinn before leaving, so they can immediately address any obvious issues they missed during their inspections.
Old 05-25-2021, 07:21 PM   #58
Winnebago Master

What we did worked out very well.

We used a one-way rental minivan. Before the trip, we stocked up with as many supplies as possible (sheets, towels, dishes, ...) - Amazon Prime! - and had the minivan packed very full.

On the Sunday when we were there, while Lichtsinn was closed, we drive our new View to Mason City for shopping of items we didn't think about getting - such as shelf organizers and trash cans. That drive is long enough to be a good shakedown trip - and verify there aren't any obvious issues when driving the View at higher speeds.

There is a grocery store nearby to buy perishable items. Plus we went over to the nearby park and used their dump station to go through the process of dumping both tanks, using the black tank flush, and refilling the fresh water tank.

So by the time we had our orientation on Monday morning, we'd already slept in the new RV two nights, had taken a short road trip, and dealt with the fresh/gray/black tanks.

We found a few small items for Lichtsinn to address - such as adding a second towel hook in the bathroom (which was added directly below the factory towel hook - we also added a clothes hook on the closet door).

And by the time we left Monday afternoon for HWH, we were pretty confident in the quality of our View.

So even if you believe everything is OK - you should plan to stay at least one night - and exercise as much of the new RV as possible - before you leave the dealership. Because once you leave, it will be more challenging to get even small items fixed...
Old 05-25-2021, 08:53 PM   #59
Winnebago Camper

What rental car company did you use. Appears that Enterprise is the only one close and they are in Mason City for drop off. Assuming you did the same, how did you get back to Lichtsinn after dropping the rental car off, or did you use your View for that. I am hoping Lichtsinn has a courtesy car or Enterprise can drop me back off. I like your plan.

Quote:
What we did worked out very well.

We used a one-way rental minivan. Before the trip, we stocked up with as many supplies as possible (sheets, towels, dishes, ...) - Amazon Prime! - and had the minivan packed very full.

On the Sunday when we were there, while Lichtsinn was closed, we drive our new View to Mason City for shopping of items we didn't think about getting - such as shelf organizers and trash cans. That drive is long enough to be a good shakedown trip - and verify there aren't any obvious issues when driving the View at higher speeds.

There is a grocery store nearby to buy perishable items. Plus we went over to the nearby park and used their dump station to go through the process of dumping both tanks, using the black tank flush, and refilling the fresh water tank.

So by the time we had our orientation on Monday morning, we'd already slept in the new RV two nights, had taken a short road trip, and dealt with the fresh/gray/black tanks.

We found a few small items for Lichtsinn to address - such as adding a second towel hook in the bathroom (which was added directly below the factory towel hook - we also added a clothes hook on the closet door).

And by the time we left Monday afternoon for HWH, we were pretty confident in the quality of our View.

So even if you believe everything is OK - you should plan to stay at least one night - and exercise as much of the new RV as possible - before you leave the dealership. Because once you leave, it will be more challenging to get even small items fixed...
Old 05-25-2021, 09:06 PM   #60
Winnebago Master

We used Enterprise.

You have two options.

First option is to drive to Mason City and stay there overnight. Drop off the rental at Enterprise and have Lichtsinn send someone to pick you up (if they are still offering this service).

Second option is to drive to Forest City and once you have possession of your RV, transfer stuff from the minivan to the RV. Then drive the minivan to Mason City to drop it off. You can either drive your RV to pick you up, or (if they have one available) Lichtsinn may be able to provide you a loaner vehicle - though I'd strongly recommend driving the RV to provide a shakedown drive.

Unfortunately we ended up with option 3... Our minivan had a leaking tire - we were able to (just barely) make it to Forest City by stopping frequently on the highway and adding more air. Fix-a-Flat didn't work. So once we got to Lichtsinn, we called Enterprise and they towed the vehicle. So we didn't have to do the drop off in Mason City...

Tags
view