Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2021, 09:03 AM   #1
Willow Rider

2021 View 24D Engine Thumping

(Originally posted in slightly different form on Welcome Mat)
We bought our new 2021 View 24D last fall. Our first few trips were for no more than a day before extending to a couple 2-day ventures early this year; all without any incident or cause for concern. The latest was a 4-day visit to California from our home in Arizona. All went well with the View until we reached Phoenix on our return leg, within a couple hours from home. Abruptly, with no warning signs or lights on the dash, the View's engine (the 3.0l turbo diesel) began thumping, at first lightly but then increasingly loud and heavy (it wasn't an engine knock; our first thought was a tire going flat). It lessened as we slowed and fully abated when our speed dropped below 45 mph. None of the onboard sensors indicated any problems. We crept off the freeway and found a multi-use service station (cars and trucks), where we parked. We had refilled the DEF before leaving but just in case, topped it off again. Engine oil level was unchanged at slightly above mid-range. There were no signs of leakage or anything else untoward under the hood or under the vehicle. We had been traveling with the I-10 rural traffic flow, generally between 70 mph and 80 mph with all vitals well within range, but at the time of the thumping we were in urban freeway traffic at speeds below 70 mph. We had refueled in Quartzite and decided to do so again. After pondering matters for about 45 minutes, we decided to start the engine to see what happened. It started right up and idled normally. Hoping what we had experienced was transient, we resumed our trip home, albeit at slower speeds than previously. Two hours and about 100 miles later, we were home with no repeat of the thumping. We have since run an OBD-II scan, which showed everything well within normal range. We will be taking the View to the local M-B dealer this week but will appreciate very much any thoughts on what may be the cause of this problem.
WillowRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:25 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I would first want to do some testing to try to find what portion of the RV is causing the thumping. If it is the engine part, the noise is likely to change as we change speeds, but if it is part of the drive train, changing from pulling like uphill versus downhill or totally out of gear will often tell if it is part of the drive portion or wheels. There are times when some type of debris gets caught in the drive and makes noise! A cardboard box stuck somewhere underneath can be a really scary sound----until it falls out and you never hear it again.
Hard to do if it is not currently doing it but I would want to isolate the noise further.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:58 AM   #3
Willow Rider

Thanks. We checked under the View after we stopped and found nothing. We did not, however, have a chance to see if we may have snagged something on the freeway that then came lose as we slowed. The thumping seemed to originate from the left front, and a flat tire was our first fear. Good thought! The freeway was flat, engine was under no load strain other than maintaining speed, which had been constant for some time. And continuing homeward at around 60 mph was uneventful. Hmmm ...
Old 05-03-2021, 11:06 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

When the thumping noise is heard - is the ride smooth or rough?

If the ride is rough (especially as speed increases), then it could be tire issues.

After we picked up our 21VD last summer, we found the ride got rougher with a lot of vibration as speed got higher - so we had a pretty rough ride at posted highway speeds.

After we had the tires balanced, the ride smoothed out. And when we took our View in for annual service, the dealership ended up replacing both front tires under warranty, since they were showing unusual wear.

If the ride is smooth at highway speeds, then it probably isn't the tires... Though if the problem is with the engine, since the engine RPMs drop when running at near constant speeds on the highway, it seems less likely it's an engine problem - because you would also likely get the thumping when the engine was running at higher RPMs at lower speeds.

It's also possible there is something loose under the chassis. We sometimes get a vibration sound when accelerating at low speeds in parking lots - which goes away when we drive faster. We're having MB check to see if they can see anything loose they have our View for Service A.
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 03:18 PM   #5
Willow Rider

Thanks for the thoughts. What you suggest is part of what makes this such an enigma. The ride remained smooth. So did the engine, i.e., no roughness, stutter, stumble, or miss. The thumping didn't seem to change frequency, only volume, increasingly rather quickly at first then slowly lessening until it suddenly stopped. We climbed under the front chassis this morning, looking for anything being loose or showing evidence of having struck and dragged something but found nothing.There's a valance under the front bumper and then around the front tire well that if you smack it hard enough makes a sound similar to but not as loud as the thumping. Then again, smacking the valance in a parking lot isn't quite on a par with it striking/dragging something at highway speeds on concrete pavement, eh? The quest continues ...
Old 05-03-2021, 04:09 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Based on the symptoms (smooth ride, noise only at highway speeds), it sounds like something is thumping based on the air currents when the vehicle is moving at higher speeds.

And that may be difficult to diagnose - because you can't move around the outside of the vehicle when it's making the noise.

It does sound like something is loose - and vibrating at highway speeds.

There are a few items on the roof that could be the cause - such as the exhaust fan cover, solar panels, roof trim cowel, awnings, or even the coach door if it isn't fully latched (from the inside of the coach, can you see any light between the door and the door frame?).

There isn't much that could be loose inside the engine compartment - and that should be easy to check while parked.

Underneath is more difficult, since there is a lot of stuff underneath. MB will only be able to help if it's the chassis - fuel line, exhaust, ... Otherwise, everything else down there is from Winnebago.

These types of issues can be challenging to find and get corrected. We had what sounded like a metal on metal rattle over the driver - and it turned out to be a couple of gaps on the inside of the coach between the roof of the chassis and the underside of the overcab.

It took a couple of passes before the WB service found the problem and was able to correct it.

Good luck!
Old 05-03-2021, 05:53 PM   #7
Willow Rider

You mention a few items we hadn't considered. We're checking everything that's a potential source. Thanks.
Old 05-03-2021, 06:54 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

We had the same thing happen last week. We left AZ IN OUR 2021 View heading for Bryce Canyon In Utah. We were running up I-15 near Cedar City at 65mph when started hearing a faint sound like pop,pop,pop. Coming from the engine compartment. It started getting louder and louder and finally real loud. The same pop,pop,pop. Turned off cruise control and pulled over. Got out and looked everything over. Found nothing. Pulled back on I-15 and the sound had gone away. We just returned to Az with no problems. Very strange. We were up at an elevation of about 6500 feet for what it’s worth and were pulling a 2700 toad.
Sure would like to know what was going on.
My hearing isn’t the best so it could have been thump, thump, thump, but it sure sounds like what happened to you.
Bobbit
Bobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 06:57 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I would like to know what Mercedes tells you.
Thanks
Old 05-03-2021, 08:19 PM   #10
Willow Rider

Yours is the closest yet. We most assuredly will post what M-B comes up with. Thanks.
Old 05-03-2021, 10:04 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Sounds like your diesel particulate filter was regenerating. Have both of you checked your instrument cluster and checked the status of of your diesel particulate filter? If it's empty it means a regeneration recently happened. The gegeneration proceess adds fuel to the exhaust and it gets extremely hot (1500 degrees or so). This causes a popping noise from the exhaust metal and surrounding areas getting really hot. Depending on the outside temp, the popping noise may sound different. Most people don't notice it.

This will not cause any type of check engine light and is normal operating. Depending on your driving style/idling, the regeneration frequency fluctuates.
Old 05-04-2021, 12:22 AM   #12
Willow Rider

Yes, we checked the regen. It’s well within range and was actually lower when the thumping occurred than it is now. We are watching it, though, to be sure. Thanks.
Old 05-04-2021, 04:35 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowRider View Post
Yes, we checked the regen. It’s well within range and was actually lower when the thumping occurred than it is now. We are watching it, though, to be sure. Thanks.
Seems that eliminates the Regen as a suspect.

But after a fresh regenerating, it is supposed to be lower. (So if your regen is in process, and finished,, the dash graphics would be empty). As you drive more, the regenerating graphic increases. I believe this cycle repeats every 500-600 miles depending on your driving habit.

If you are not hearing this repeated, looks like this would not be it.

Was your noise loud or subtle? Did it seems like drivers side or passenger side or both?
crah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 07:12 PM   #14
Willow Rider

We figured out the regen (although no thanks to the mildly less than informative M-B owner manual!). We're confident we have eliminated that.
The noise was mostly on the driver's side and forward, like under the driver's feet. It got loud very quickly after it started then gradually went down in volume as we slowed before abruptly going silent at around 45 mph.
Old 05-04-2021, 07:52 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

If there is a passenger, has the passenger moved around the cabin while the sound is there and confirmed the location to be under the driver's seat?

We've been able to get our coach to be pretty quiet, though it's helped when the passenger has been able to move around while moving - and identify exactly where the sound is coming from.

It's possible the sound could be coming from the propane tank area - that area is open underneath - so there will be increased airflow while driving.

It's also possible that compartment door may not be completely latched. We've found that sometimes only one side latches - so I now check both sides, and if one side isn't latched, I'll relatch the door so the latches on both sides are completely engaged.

Since the propane compartment is open at the bottom - if the door isn't completely latched - that could be the sound at highway speeds.

Compared to the back of the coach, there isn't as much underneath the driver seat on the outside. If you've ruled out something loose in the engine compartment, then you could check underneath that area - and do a visual inspection to see if there is anything that might "thump" while driving quickly - though if something was loose, you'd likely also hear it at low speeds - maybe not as loud or frequent...

Another (less likely) possibility is a noise associated with the slide. Verify the slide is seating all of the way in and that there isn't any air gap, especially along the leading edge.

Might also be worth checking the storage compartment underneath the dinette window. We had a hole in the compartment on the back side (into the rear wheel well) - and had that sealed before we left the dealership when we purchased our View. If you have a hole on the front side that could also cause some noise when driving at high speeds, because the propane compartment is open so there will be airflow on the front side of that compartment while driving.
Old 05-04-2021, 08:15 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

rprochnow, for your storage compartment latching usually only on 1 side, mine does the same thing. It's usually consistently favors 1 side when shutting from the handle. If you shut the compartment with your hand positioned on the unfavorable side, both latch consistently. That's what has worked for me.
Old 05-04-2021, 10:39 PM   #17
Willow Rider

Thanks for the additional thoughts and suggestions. Some good hints and insights that we'll remember. We spent a couple hours today on the interstate and county roads, at varying speeds and loads. None of those other sources came into play. There was no repeat of the thumping, which was clearly in the left front. We did, however, in the course of the drive, come to terms with the regen process. As such, we consider it a good day with the View--and our learning curve.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:39 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Thumping

My wife and I were talking about our incident in our 2021 View which I described as popping and my wife corrected me, as I said before my hearing isn’t the greatest, and said THUMPING was the noise! So we are sure our experience was the same as yours.

Bobbit
Old 05-05-2021, 11:39 PM   #19
Willow Rider

That's good to know, for both of us. Thanks for following up. We have an appointment Friday for the local dealer to look at our 2021 View (actually, the Sprinter chassis is a 2020, which yours may be, too; the dealer told us when we handed over the VIN this often happens because Winnebago buys chassis when it can and creates the View later). I will be posting whatever we're told.
Old 05-07-2021, 12:09 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Our 2021 was built on a 2019 chassis - and has the shorter taillights.

It appears that 2020 View/Navion model built on the 2020 chassis have the tall/thin taillights.

Though, there probably aren't any noticeable changes between the 2019 and 2020 chassis...

Tags
engine, view