Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2021, 05:40 PM   #21
CO Sunova Owner

An idea

I have an idea. I had a similar issue with my Polaris side by side. I own a 2017 Winnebago Sunova 33C. Try checking your tire lug nuts and make sure they are all tight. I had a thumping that got worse and worse, that was the problem. One of the wheels starting coming loose. It came on gradually. No issue when we were just idling.
navnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 05:48 PM   #22
CO Sunova Owner

Check all your tire lug nuts to make sure they are nice and torqued.
navnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 08:04 PM   #23
Winnebago Watcher

We have had the 2020 24D for one year. This thumping has occurred two times almost a year apart. And oddly enough on the same road. Definitely the front tire area. We stopped, checked underneath, checked the compartments, and everything looked good. After stopping twice, both times, we started up and it ended. Makes me wonder about the air current comment. We’ve driven 15,000 miles, and we don’t live near this road; it is a road to a campground that we like and have visited five or six times. Only has the thumping twice and never any where else. I don’t have an answer, but thought I’d share our experience. Just had the one year MB service with no issues. It’s scary when it happens, and will look to see if you get any ideas from MB. Love the vehicle.
Boilerpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 12:26 AM   #24
Willow Rider

We checked the wheels, but your point is still well taken. We'll watch for that. We hadn't driven on that stretch of Phoenix freeways and didn't feel any roughness. The thumping also emanated from only the left front. I suspect we'll find ourselves on less than pristine pavement on occasion; we'll remember this when we do. Thanks.
We expect to pick up our View from the M-B Sprinter service shop Monday or Tuesday. We're looking forward to hearing what the techies found.
WillowRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 02:29 AM   #25
Winnebago Owner

A long while back, we heard a thumping and I discovered the metal part that held the right rear mudflap secure was cracked enough to make the thumping sound as the flap moved with the wind. It wasn't easy to isolate the noise while riding in the motor home. Repairing the mudflap solved the problem.
Old 05-10-2021, 04:42 AM   #26
Winnebago Watcher

We had a noise at highway speed that was hard to identifying.
Ended up being the cover on the floor for exhaust fan was loose.
Wife had to walk around the cabin while I was driving to find it.
2019 View D
JwSRQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 01:30 PM   #27
Willow Rider

There's a baffle behind the front bumper valance that extends into the front wheel well and over the tire. We still wonder if that might be involved. If you hit it hard enough, it comes close to, but not as loud as, the thumping sound. We're going to watch that, and the other items you mention. Thanks so much for weighing in!
Old 05-10-2021, 06:16 PM   #28
Winnebago Owner

Our passenger side mirror developed a thump at times when the wind was just right.
Annoying as all get out. And worrisome too.
I'm going to fix it soon.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 04:18 PM   #29
Winnebago Camper

Just checking to see what Mercedes had to say about the thumping noise. I thought you were taking it in last Friday.
Bobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 04:56 PM   #30
Winnebago Master

A loose fiber type shield under a Ford Focus would flap up and down at certain speeds and seemed to stay some place when we got to highway speeds. It was as simple as some of the plastic clips were gone.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 07:55 PM   #31
Willow Rider

The M-B Sprinter shop kept the View for a few days. The technicians could find nothing wrong or out of place. They ran the full engine/emissions diagnoses. They checked out all the underpinnings. They drove it several times at different speeds on different types/conditions of pavement. They could not find anything to fix. Which is kind of a good news/not so good news thing. It would have been nice/comforting if there were something wrong that could be fixed. It also would have been not so good if there were something wrong this early in the View's life. On the other other hand, if there were something wrong, I'm sure the Sprinter shop technician would have found it, which is reassuring in a different way.
Thanks to all for your thoughts and suggestions. We've kept notes. If it happens again, we'll be back. And as long as it doesn't we'll see what we can add from our travels to the fun times ahead.
Old 05-13-2021, 08:17 PM   #32
Winnebago Master

If it is an intermittent issue - that doesn't happen consistently at highway speeds, that does make it more difficult to find.

Wind direction and speed could have an impact on this. If a strong wind is coming from a certain direction while driving at high speeds, that could cause something to vibrate - while it may be OK if the wind is from a different direction (or lower speed).

We've noticed this on the ceiling exhaust fan. If we get a strong crosswind, the fan cover seems to vibrate a little - but most of the time, it's fine.

At least MB reviewed the chassis components, and they're confident it isn't anything in the chassis. But that may not rule out what Winnebago has added underneath...
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 08:07 AM   #33
Winnebago Watcher

Same Thumping - 2x

Just thought I would add to the thread. Same issue and happened twice about 1000 miles apart at 18k and then again at 19k. Loud thumping that is with each rotation so that it slows down at lower speeds. Mine occurred at all speeds even 5mph in the parking lot we pulled over into. Stopped at MB and they just completed their review/inspection and found no issues at all. Same situation, stopped for a few minutes, checked for debris, checked storage underneath the coach, nothing - started up the coach and thumping gone like it was never there. One thought we had was that something was not realigned after camping and being up in the jacks after hitting the excessive slope level. So we thought it might be the leveling jacks.. When stopping, we put the jacks up and down. Don’t think that’s it though.
First time it happened it seem to coincide with a lane change with uneven road level (under construction). That made us think something got loose. We had some wood 2x4s in storage that we thought got loose. But the 2nd time it happened at had the wood right next to me not in the storage compartment. So definitely not that. Curious to see if anyone gets this resolved. Thanks.
Yeahbouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 05:55 PM   #34
Willow Rider

Interesting that it happened at the very slow speeds. We're still wondering if it could have been some kind of harmonic bounce in the left front suspension initiated by a perfectly timed/placed/encountered pavement irregularity that once initiated fed itself until we slowed sufficiently to move the harmonic out of sync. We have, however, done another 8-hour day trip of around 600 miles at a wide range of speeds, although generally good to very good roads, with no re-occurrence. So, yes, it remains an enigma. Thanks for adding to the checklist.
Old 10-12-2021, 05:24 PM   #35
Willow Rider

Update: Repeat

Update: First, I'm not sure what happened to the post with what our local Sprinter dealer's service shop came up with, but it wasn't much. Basically, they could not reproduce what we had experienced and therefore could not repair it. IOW, we were expected to keep driving the View until it really broke, and then they'd fix it. Oh, well. Then it happened again, on the drive home from a brief vacation in Southern California (maybe that's a sign &#129300, the same very loud thumping from somewhere on the right front with vibrations felt in the floor but not in the steering. It was on I-8 about 20 miles west of Yuma, smooth pavement, cruise control at 70, outside temp around 105F, after about three hours on the road. We pulled over and stopped on the shoulder (barely wider than the View!) but left the engine running while we checked everything we could think of: no flat tire, nothing caught/dragging underneath, all fluids OK, no warning lights in the IC. We drove forward a little, and the banging/hammering sound and vibration returned, and we stopped. We discovered it sounded a lot like when we drove over the rumble strips along the edge of the pavement. We knew we could not stay where we were and started to pull back up onto the highway figuring we'd find a safer place where we could continue checking things--or, please no, call for roadside service. On a whim, we accelerated hard and within less than half a mile, the banging/hammering/vibration stopped; our speed was just over 60. We proceeded to Yuma, fueled up, and drove the rest of the way home at or about 70 mph with no further problems. We launched a new research effort and tripped over several M-B Sprinter threads referencing a phenomenon called Rumble Strip Noise (here's a link to a website with discussions about RSN: https://sprinter-source.com/forums/i...hp?forums/213/). Many of the posts on those pointed to a problem with the torque converter. Some noted a flushing and change of transmission fluid had seemed to solve the problem. A few reported getting a new torque converter. Armed with these helpful bits, we approached the local Sprinter dealer again. And received pretty much the same response as before: if we can't reproduce it (which they couldn't before) we can't fix it. Out of desperation we expanded our search distance for Sprinter service shops to include Phoenix and added independent shops to the list. The hit list included a highly rated independent called, fittingly, The Benz Shop. After spending a day and several miles with our View, they reported two bothersome signs. One was an immediate but very low-grade vibration in the cabin floor they knew should not be there. The other was a pronounced and noisy vibration right around 4,000 rpm, in any gear. They deferred undertaking any fixes. First, our View is still under warranty, and any work they did would not be covered. Second, they knew, having worked at a local M-B dealership, that any indication a business other than a M-B dealer had worked on the engine or transmission would present problems in getting related repairs covered under the M-B warranty. They recommended we have the dealer where they had worked check it out. We did and were told the service folk had heard the sound and were in contact with M-B reps to work out a fix. Today we learned the M-B rep had recommended installing spacers in the driveshaft, which apparently after many miles at relative high speeds in high ambient temperatures can cease to engage fully at the transmission end. The spacers, we're told, should ensure the splines on the driveshaft remain fully engaged. We also have been assured, almost promised, that this will never happen again! We hope so, as we have another trip to Southern California on the calendar for later this month (I know, pressing our luck ... ). We are very interested if any of this has happened to other View/Navion owners and if so, how did things work out?
Old 10-18-2021, 04:00 PM   #36
Willow Rider

Clarification

I misunderstood what the spacers the M-B tech told the dealer to install in the View's propeller shaft are intended to accomplish. It's not to ensure the propeller shaft's engagement with the transmission. It's to correct a misalignment in the propeller shaft between the transmission and the rear differential. There's a technical bulletin on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website if interested in further detail: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10179953-9999.pdf. We are supposed to get our View back this week and have a trip planned for next week. Additional updates may follow as appropriate.
Old 12-07-2021, 02:56 PM   #37
Willow Rider

Update II

After the dealer (Arrowhead Mercedes-Benz in Peoria, a suburb of Phoenix) installed the spacers as advised by the B-B tech and took a quick test drive, another vibration emerged (it probably was there before but masked by the initial one). The dealer brought the M-B tech back to take another look.

To the tech's professed surprise, every spacer (other than the one(s) the dealer had installed) either was the wrong spacer or was installed backwards. In fact, M-B has published a 4-page explanation and fix for the problem of wrong.backward spacers, which is not especially encouraging. Nevertheless, our View's drive train from the transmission output to the differential has been reassembled, correctly this time, we hope.

And so far, so good. We've had it back about a month. Due to it being at the dealer for an extended time, we shelved our planned returned trip to SoCal. We've taken a few short drives and do notice the ride is smoother. We are hoping to get away sometime somehow before the Christmas holidays for a decent shakedown. There won't be the heat, which the dealer and the M-B tech say could be a factor; for that we have to wait a few months. Unless, of course, the shuddering returns before that window opens.

We remain optimistic ...
Old 03-01-2022, 12:33 PM   #38
Willow Rider

Life is what happens while people make plans. First, a cargo door got dinged while it was having the drive train was being fixed. Then the patio awning broke and the steps stopped working (after less than 9,000 miles!). We just got it back after two months at the local dealer (that's a horror story for another time). Maybe now we'll get to do the requisite shakedown--assuming we decide to keep it. Sigh.
Old 03-02-2022, 09:13 AM   #39
Winnebago Vita 24P

I hope you keep it, they are a space where you can enjoy the great American frontier. I really want to thank you for sharing this potential problem on our Motorhomes. Fixes like this make it easier to deal with Dealership when the problem arises.
Old 03-02-2022, 11:12 AM   #40
Willow Rider

Thanks for the encouraging thought! We have enjoyed it--when it hasn't been in one shop or another. One lesson reinforced by this is, whatever the plan, be ready to change it.

Tags
engine, view