Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2021, 07:57 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

2020 Winnebago View Main Fuse keeps blowing

My main DC fuse in the battery tray keeps blowing killing all DC power to the house. This is the 3rd time it happened. When facing the battery tray, it is the far left fuse. The first time it blew, I replaced it with a same Littelfuse 100 amp slow blow fuse that was in there. The second time it blew, I checked the winnebago wiring diagram, and it shows to use a 125 amp fuse so I replaced it with a 125 amp littelfuse thinking that maybe the factory just installed the wring rated fused. Now that the 125 amp fuse blew, I'm shaking my head.

Can anyone else share their fuse rating they have from a factory set up? This would be for the 2020+ View or Navion. I know of one other 2021 View owner that has a 300 amp fuse that was installed by the factory.

There are 3 fuses in the battery tray, and I'm only looking for the far left main house fuse size.
crah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 08:45 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

this sounds like serious stuff that I would not want to play games with as those are not the "normal" fuse. They are big boys doing the big job to protect the really big cables1
The kind that are meant to blow under very difficult times like when there is a wreck, it keeps the batteries from setting the wreckage on fire!
The only reason these should blow is there is a definite short from the cable to ground like the frame, etc.
It may be something intermittent like blowing only when hitting a bump and the cable rubs harder or something weird like that but putting a larger fuse in just lets the cable get hotter before the fuse blows. NOT a good thing to do as it presses closer to the wire getting hot enough to burn.

One good reason to not keep pressing harder is that it adds to the damage and at some point it may get bad enough to require replacing the whole cable and that is a lot more trauma than finding the fault before melting the cable!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 09:19 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
this sounds like serious stuff that I would not want to play games with as those are not the "normal" fuse. They are big boys doing the big job to protect the really big cables1
The kind that are meant to blow under very difficult times like when there is a wreck, it keeps the batteries from setting the wreckage on fire!
The only reason these should blow is there is a definite short from the cable to ground like the frame, etc.
It may be something intermittent like blowing only when hitting a bump and the cable rubs harder or something weird like that but putting a larger fuse in just lets the cable get hotter before the fuse blows. NOT a good thing to do as it presses closer to the wire getting hot enough to burn.

One good reason to not keep pressing harder is that it adds to the damage and at some point it may get bad enough to require replacing the whole cable and that is a lot more trauma than finding the fault before melting the cable!
Agree this could be serious but I need to eliminate a factory possible mistake first. As mentioned, I know of other owners with a 300amp fuse. The wire is certainly sized for 300 amps. I've built my own electrical systems and 125 amps seems awful small but don't want to deviate from Winnebago engineering without being comfortable. On this last fuse blown, my wife was trying to start the generator after we stopped driving.

Not are how much in rush current the 3200 diesel gen creates at start up but this could be a source. I would first like to confirm what other owners fuse sizes are.
Old 05-30-2021, 06:02 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

300 amps

Originally in 2020 units the fuse was undersized. Proper size is 300 amp. My dealer fixed mine before I took possession. 20J
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 09:38 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

I have a 2020 J and I had problems with the 125 amp fuse blowing due to a Genset problem (I also have the 3200 watt diesel Onan). My Genset problem was I accidentally ran it out of fuel. That resulted in an air bubble on the high pressure side of the fuel line, so it wouldn’t start. Whenever I tried to start the Genset, I would push the start button then let up when it failed to start after a few seconds. Then I’d push the start button again and the 125 amp fuse would blow and all 12v power disappeared. Went through about 3 fuses then discovered that after the first starter activation it is necessary to shut off the Genset start panel before activating the starter again. I don’t know why this is the case, but that’s what I’ve experienced.
Mike, 2020 View J, PNW
Mowind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 09:50 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Also, my battery compartment has two large fuses. One is 300 amps and it is connected to the Xantrex inverter/charger. Tho other is 125 amps and it is connected to the coach 12v system. That makes sense to me, since the inverter is the big amp draw on the batteries, as it powers the 110v outlets. Apparently the Genset starter is powered by the coach batteries through the 12v circuitry, i.e., through the 125 amp fuse. I still don’t know why the second starter activation causes it to blow…
Mike
Mowind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 09:54 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowind View Post
Also, my battery compartment has two large fuses. One is 300 amps and it is connected to the Xantrex inverter/charger. Tho other is 125 amps and it is connected to the coach 12v system. That makes sense to me, since the inverter is the big amp draw on the batteries, as it powers the 110v outlets. Apparently the Genset starter is powered by the coach batteries through the 12v circuitry, i.e., through the 125 amp fuse. I still don’t know why the second starter activation causes it to blow…
Mike
Your fuse is blowing because the 125 amp fuse is too small. The starter on the genset draws way more. It's a slow blow fuse, so it doesn't blow right away. It needs to be change to a 300amp fuse also as another poster mentioned. I've done that, and no problem since.
Old 09-21-2021, 04:57 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

A fuse is installed in a wire/circuit to protect against fires. The fuses are sized according to how many amps the wire can safely handle without starting on fire. I would check the wire size on each side of the fuse before increasing the fuse size. Rvs burn really fast.
vita1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 08:47 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by vita1 View Post
A fuse is installed in a wire/circuit to protect against fires. The fuses are sized according to how many amps the wire can safely handle without starting on fire. I would check the wire size on each side of the fuse before increasing the fuse size. Rvs burn really fast.
Yes the wire size is important but in this case wire size is adequate. Winnebago undersized the fuse and fixed the problem in later production coaches. The diesel generator amp draw is much larger than the fuse installed as well. This was only for the 2020 View (and partial years). Sounds like a manufacture mistake for whatever reason.

I just checked and see that Winnebago silently changed their wiring diagram on their website to the 300amp fuse when it was 125 amp before.
Old 09-22-2021, 05:19 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Those that are suggesting Winnebago has changed from 125A to 300A are most likely correct but I'd contact Winnebago to make sure.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 05:35 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Those that are suggesting Winnebago has changed from 125A to 300A are most likely correct but I'd contact Winnebago to make sure.
100% in agreement with this statement. Installing a 300 amp fuse if the system is not designed for it will likely result in lost of property.

When the 125 amp fuse opens is there anything happening in the RV. You could have wear point in the wiring that when driving is shorting to ground and saving you a fire.

For the record our 2021 View 24V has two 300 amp fuses and one 100 amp fuse.
Sparky19053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 05:51 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

The system was designed for it. The wire size is the same as the inverter wire with 300amp fuse. For the 2020-2022 View/Navion, the wiring diagram is identical. I have all three fuses as well, but the main coach fuse was inadequately sized (specifically ally due to the diesel generator starter).

I agree people shouldn't be just changing fuses without knowing what they are doing and should bring it to the dealer. For the record, I specifically asked a Winnebago factory tech, and all they did was check their online wiring diagram and repeated what was on their (which was incorrect at the time). Due to frustration, I traced the wires myself and checked with other view owners. When I checked yesterday, I noticed that Winnebago updated their wiring diagram correctly.

I guess my only point is that talking to experts you expect at the factory may not be the most accurate unfortunately.

Tags
fuse, view, winnebago