Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2020, 06:10 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2020 View24J - random questions

Just bought a 2020 View J and have some questions - we have the lithium batteries and wondering how long I can leave the coach with only the refrigerator running. I was told about 20 hrs, does this sound right? I think the music sounds terrible from the new MB infotainment system. Anyone know of any upgrades I can do? Is the GPS system RV friendly - will it warn of things like low passages or small bridges? The new chassis seems to have a softer ride but is harder to handle in a crosswind than the older chassis. Is that my imagination? Is there anything I can do to improve the wind handling? Thanks!
Dmarcian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:05 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Congratulations on the new 24J. I have a 2020 View 524D, 8500 miles and 76 nights, so maybe I can answer your questions. My rig also has the Lithium Ion batteries and they are great. Your question about refrigerator usage - assuming you have the 12VDC only fridge and solar panels like I have, the fridge can last an indefinite time assuming the solar panels are getting sunlight.
The MBUX - Navigation/entertainment system. Sound quality is terrible but the noise level in the 2020 is lower so you don't have to turn the radio level to high to hear how bad it is. The navigation system takes a voice command to a city or address and I like that. Its does not recognize RV park or State Park names or any POI, so you need an address. System does not give your any low bridges or driving aids. Also, since it is voice activated, the system is always listening for the word Mercedes - then comes on the speaker with " how can I help you". So you are yelling "Cancel" at the unit while you go down the road.
Your 2020 is on a Mercedes VS30 chassis with an improved rear swaybar. There are other threads on this forum that address the handling to great detail. I have chosen both front and rear Sumo blocks and found them very helpful. That mod has improved wind handling. Coming out driveways and sloped surfaces still is slow with some side to side sway.
Hope that helps.
oppositelock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 10:29 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks! Unfortunately I have the dc only refrigerator. It is very large and works great but draws quite a bit of power, more than solar can handle. I might try to upgrade the speakers and I will definitely add the suspension upgrades you suggested. Some class c manufacturers are already offering auto gensets (Leisure Travel and Airstream). I am sure W will too soon. That would solve all battery issues. I can make this work though.
Dmarcian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 07:22 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2020 24D.

You can improve the stereo sound considerably by disconnecting the center speaker (one of the two plugs - I think the one closest to the windshield). This will give your door speakers a chance to be heard and adjusting the balance will actually work and won’t affect the emergency system). A guy on the Sprinter Source website actually cut the wire on the windshield side plug and inserted a potentiometer so he could control the volume of the center speaker and reported a very satisfactory result. I am considering doing this, but the View doesn’t have the same blank button slot that he used (the View has the stabilizer alarm light and speaker installed there), so I’d have to plan a different solution for the knob.

I’m loving the way the chassis handles, but am coming from a class A gasser.

Also have the lithium Batteries. No issues so far. They have handled the fridge without issue with the solar panels more than keeping up in a driveway test. I don’t usually boondock, so your experience may be different.

No issues with GPS, but I like the Apple CarPlay option. The height at 12 feet, has not been even a close issue so far. I have found even the “RV friendly” GPS systems can throw you a curve sometimes. It’s a lot less of an issue with the smaller (for me) View.

The wife and I love it. We’re adapting to a smaller living area without a problem. I did install a Bose sound bar below the TV to give a bit better sound at volume. I do miss the surround sound system of our class A, but the Bose gets me pretty close.
Dave-Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:15 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I don't have the 2020 View but I do have the 2018 Fuse with its 12V DC only fridge and 2 Lithium batteries. I believe that the batteries in the View are higher capacity than those in the Fuse but I suspect that the electric usage from the fridge and the other base electronics (smoke detector, monitoring system, etc) is probably about the same.

We have found that normal daytime usage is about 5.2 amps per hour and normal nighttime usage is a bit lower at perhaps 4 amps per hour. Together those come out close to 110 amps per day.

Your two 100 watt solar panels can probably not produce that much (we have 3 and in southern Arizona we can get about 100-110 amps on a clear Summer day, half of that in the Winter). Given that I would assume you might get 3 days usage for the fridge and base electronics if you are not running anything else and it is not too hot.

We just returned from 2 days at a primitive camp site with no utilities and heavy foliage cover and in that 2 days we went from 100% to 71% capacity running the refrigerator and occasionally the TV and DVD player. Our batteries are lower capacity than yours but we have 3 100 watt solar panels since I added one extra.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 08:11 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I just signed deal for 2020 24VJ. It has lithium option and I will add a solar panel for 370W total. In View lithium, you get two 125ah batteries.
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:39 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mricet1005 View Post
I just signed deal for 2020 24VJ. It has lithium option and I will add a solar panel for 370W total. In View lithium, you get two 125ah batteries.
Yes, the Winnebago Lithium battery option is expensive but you get larger Lithium batteries (250 AH compared to the BB 200 AH batteries), you get a larger inverter and associated wiring to support it and it is all covered by the Winnebago warranty. You don't have to worry about whether or not to install a DC-DC charger or upgrade the inverter/charger.

I added 2 BB Lithium batteries and the associated DC-DC charger and am happy with what I have but if I were buying new I think I might opt for the Winnebago option instead of doing it all separately even though it would probably be more expensive.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:39 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
Yes, the Winnebago Lithium battery option is expensive but you get larger Lithium batteries (250 AH compared to the BB 200 AH batteries), you get a larger inverter and associated wiring to support it and it is all covered by the Winnebago warranty. You don't have to worry about whether or not to install a DC-DC charger or upgrade the inverter/charger.

I added 2 BB Lithium batteries and the associated DC-DC charger and am happy with what I have but if I were buying new I think I might opt for the Winnebago option instead of doing it all separately even though it would probably be more expensive.
For 2020 no different inverter/charger. For 2020 the 2000W is standard on all View/Navions. They do modify the battery compartment to enclose it to help maintain temperature. I believe they also add a charge wizard pendant to manage charging from the alternator. The Xantrex batteries have a built in battery monitor via Bluetooth that provides SOC and other parameters. More expensive than DIY but I didn’t want to fool with installing myself.
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 05:57 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mricet1005 View Post
For 2020 no different inverter/charger. For 2020 the 2000W is standard on all View/Navions. They do modify the battery compartment to enclose it to help maintain temperature. I believe they also add a charge wizard pendant to manage charging from the alternator. The Xantrex batteries have a built in battery monitor via Bluetooth that provides SOC and other parameters. More expensive than DIY but I didn’t want to fool with installing myself.
The charging from the alternator is managed by a Chargemate Pro. Winnebago customer support sent me the info, if you’re interested.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 10000010901_01_Manual_Chargemate_Pro.pdf (865.2 KB, 81 views)
Dave-Oh is offline   Reply With Quote