Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-23-2021, 10:03 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

2020 + View/Navion sway bar

Does anyone have feedback on 2020+ model year view/navion hellwig sway bar? I want to make sure we don't mix feedback from older generation sprinter chassis. The factory sway bars in the 2020 view/navion (2019 VS30 Sprinter chassis) increased in diameter from the previous generation so not much difference from the aftermarket hellwig. I have sumo springs front and back and fox 2.5 shocks in the rear and still feel this chassis could use improvements in cornering. It still feels very tippy on turns and handling in the wind is not the best.
crah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 05:28 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

The Navion motorhome is operating at 100% of its rated load capacity and has a very high center of gravity and a lot of side area for side winds to push against. Adding the Hellwig is not going to help.

Higher tire pressures or adding air bags may help but not the Hellwig which we did with our 2021 Navion with no change in handling. The Subalastic SumoSprings are the best upgrade for the Sprinter motorhomes.

In retrospect I should have bought something built on the Ford E-450 chassis that has nearly 50% more load capacity.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 05:53 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkman View Post
The Navion motorhome is operating at 100% of its rated load capacity and has a very high center of gravity and a lot of side area for side winds to push against. Adding the Hellwig is not going to help.

Higher tire pressures or adding air bags may help but not the Hellwig which we did with our 2021 Navion with no change in handling. The Subalastic SumoSprings are the best upgrade for the Sprinter motorhomes.

In retrospect I should have bought something built on the Ford E-450 chassis that has nearly 50% more load capacity.
Thanks for your experience on the Hellwig on your 2021. Pretty much all motorhomes are top heavy, but suspension improvements can be made on most of them. I have the Sumos and they have helped quite a bit, but the View still has improvements that needs to be made in my opinion. I like the E450. Just wished they could make an RV that is shaped more modern on them instead of the same old box they have been using for the last 20+ years.
Old 06-24-2021, 05:52 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Check out the Coachmen Class C motorhomes that use the Chevy 4500 chassis rated for a 20,000 GCWR. They are also still providing propane ovens and cooktops and 4000W generators and compressor 3-way fridges.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 05:34 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by crah View Post
Does anyone have feedback on 2020+ model year view/navion hellwig sway bar? I want to make sure we don't mix feedback from older generation sprinter chassis. The factory sway bars in the 2020 view/navion (2019 VS30 Sprinter chassis) increased in diameter from the previous generation so not much difference from the aftermarket hellwig. I have sumo springs front and back and fox 2.5 shocks in the rear and still feel this chassis could use improvements in cornering. It still feels very tippy on turns and handling in the wind is not the best.
CRAH, Thanks for starting this topic. I am brand new to our '22 View 24D. We drove it home from Florida to Oklahoma after new purchase. Have had only one outing so far. Cannot say that I've driven in wind yet. I also had too much air in the front tires (68 vs. 61 psig), so I cannot judge the handling too well at this point.

I measured the diameter of the stock sway bar with a digital micrometer. My best estimate is 34 mm (1.339") diameter.

IF the Hellwig bar is 1.50" (I'm not sure on this number), that would increase sway stiffness by the 4th power. That is, (1.5/1.339)^4 = 1.58...a 58% increase in stiffness. So...it would not be insignificant.

Can anyone confirm my assumed diameter for the Hellwig bar?
Big_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 09:33 AM   #6
Recon Scout

I had a 2008 Winnebago Vista class A(gas) on the ford chassis and I was white knuckled every time I drove it with the sway in wind and passing anything larger than a smart car. Granted it may be improved, hopefully, by now. I went from that to a Diesel class A on a Freightliner chassis, solid ride, and now have the 24F Vita Sprinter. I've taken it from NC to TX to MT and back hauling a Jeep Wrangler and have zero complaints on the ride, it even pulls fine in the mountains. My conclusion; love the Freightliner and Sprinter chassis, not a big fan of the Ford.
cgflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 03:28 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Boy View Post
CRAH, Thanks for starting this topic. I am brand new to our '22 View 24D. We drove it home from Florida to Oklahoma after new purchase. Have had only one outing so far. Cannot say that I've driven in wind yet. I also had too much air in the front tires (68 vs. 61 psig), so I cannot judge the handling too well at this point.

I measured the diameter of the stock sway bar with a digital micrometer. My best estimate is 34 mm (1.339") diameter.

IF the Hellwig bar is 1.50" (I'm not sure on this number), that would increase sway stiffness by the 4th power. That is, (1.5/1.339)^4 = 1.58...a 58% increase in stiffness. So...it would not be insignificant.

Can anyone confirm my assumed diameter for the Hellwig bar?
I got confirmation from Lichtsinn that the Hellwig model 7777 sway bar (for 2020 and newer 3500 Sprinter) is 1.50" in diameter.

So, changing from factory 34 mm to Hellwig would gain about 58% in roll stiffness on the back axle.
Big_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 09:00 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Boy View Post
I got confirmation from Lichtsinn that the Hellwig model 7777 sway bar (for 2020 and newer 3500 Sprinter) is 1.50" in diameter.

So, changing from factory 34 mm to Hellwig would gain about 58% in roll stiffness on the back axle.
Just an addendum to above notes.

I installed the Hellwig sway bar on our 2022 24D. It only required maybe 2 hours on our driveway.

The Hellwig definitely helped with handling. Some comments:
1) The View seems to track straighter down the road. I don't wander out of my lane as frequently as we did on our maiden voyage.
2) Cross-wind handling is quite acceptable. We drove from Tulsa to Denver. On the west-bound track from Salina, KS to Denver, we were in crosswinds up to 30 mph. The View handled it very well at 65 - 70 mph road speed.
3) Even in the above cross-winds, the View was very stable when I was passed by big trucks on the windward side. About the only thing I noticed was a bit of wake buffeting in the 0 - 100 ft behind the truck right after they passed. Very controllable.

Tags
view