Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2020, 10:36 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2020 View Dealer Comments

Greetings,
I am a newbie to the forum. My wife and I currently own a 20 ft travel trailer and are considering transitioning to a View. I am a research freak, as I like to have a knowledge base prior to purchasing a product.
We have evaluated several class C’s and believe a View D will exceed our needs. I have been reading the forum for several months. I called a View dealer to ask a question related to the refrigerator (powered by shore power, battery, propane?) I was transferred to the class C department and the sales representative did not know.

He did state that they no longer carry the Winnebago line due to excessive problems with leaky overhead cabs drastically effecting the front dash board. Honestly, he sounded fairly disengaged, and tried to direct me to another manufacturer.

I have searched and not read anything relating to his statements. Can anyone offer additional insight?
I am very familiar with working through some quality issues- everyone who owns a car , boat, or RV knows.

Sorry for the long post, and soon look forward to ownership.

Skip
Skip Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 10:51 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Stone View Post
He did state that they no longer carry the Winnebago line due to excessive problems with leaky overhead cabs drastically effecting the front dash board. Honestly, he sounded fairly disengaged, and tried to direct me to another manufacturer.
I've not heard of that, nor is there a particular reason I would have. But it doesn't make a lot of sense if the issue is the dashboard area. Wouldn't that be the chassis manufacturer's issue and a problem for all the various RV manufacturers?
Old 06-19-2020, 11:31 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Go to
www.Lichtsinn.com
and enter your email to subscribe to their sales and products emails.
Find their View/Navion inventory and select one to look at.
You should get a popup live chat window with a sales rep.
You can then pick their brains with your questions.
They are a mile or so from Winnebago Industries in Forest City, Iowa.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 12:14 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

One way to get info is to ask the competition for the bad side of any product. So when you run into a dealer who DOES NOT sell Winnebago, it is not unusual to get the bad side of things. Kind of the old story of asking a Chevy dealer about Ford, etc. , a Ford about Chevy?
The fact that they did not tell you upfront that they do not carry a line but passed you to sales anyway, puts them a step down on my list.
Meanwhile this might be a site to get directly to the operators manual for all the winnebago lineup and be much more reliable than a salesman' memory:
https://www.winnebago.com/owners/owner-tools/services

One big feature of Winnebago is not just the Rv but the fact that they do try to give us tons of info. Picking through the vast amount is a real search but I like the fact that they do try!! I once tried to get info to find the other end of a coax in a new Thor and they told me RV coax was all just generic and built the same! HUH?
Coax in the same location on a 25 ft class C as on a 40 foot class A seems a bit odd!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 12:42 PM   #5
Living The Dream

Never ask a sales person a technical question. Rather, find somebody who knows something. JMHO
SeeTheUSA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 01:04 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We all deal with salespeople of various sorts for a variety of products. In my experience RV salespeople will lie The most about anything at anytime. If you catch them at it they just laugh. Seriously. I never believe any RV salespeople about anything. Most of them know very little about the products. And pricing is crazy. Worse than cars. $170k list price marked down to $120k immediately. What’s that about?
Dmarcian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 05:50 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

On two different occasions the salesman had no clue how to rotate the seats. After the second time I challenged him: "Why didn't you find out how those seats worked (and got them fixed) after we had this problem two weeks ago". He responded "That isn't my job". Well his job lost him the sale.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 06:27 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I don't believe they have any problems with the cab over at on any new vehicles. Mine is a 2016 and there are no leaks. I've had my share of issues but leaking into the RV isn't one of them.

I know class c overhead has been problematic for leaks years ago with all of the manufacturers as per posts on the forums. I think the View with the one piece overhead has eliminated many of those problems.

As stated previously, Lichtsinn has plenty of information on their site. I did purchase from them and they have always been helpful to me. Their customer service throughout the company is way above what I had expected. Others may have similar experience with other dealers - they're not all bad.
Old 06-19-2020, 10:26 PM   #9
Winnebago Vita 24P

Quote:
Greetings,
I am a newbie to the forum. My wife and I currently own a 20 ft travel trailer and are considering transitioning to a View. I am a research freak, as I like to have a knowledge base prior to purchasing a product.
We have evaluated several class C’s and believe a View D will exceed our needs. I have been reading the forum for several months. I called a View dealer to ask a question related to the refrigerator (powered by shore power, battery, propane?) I was transferred to the class C department and the sales representative did not know.

I have searched and not read anything relating to his statements. Can anyone offer additional insight?
I am very familiar with working through some quality issues- everyone who owns a car , boat, or RV knows.

Skip
There has been an issue with the fiberglass cap leaking. supposedly there is a recall on the issue, but the dealerships wont fix until it leaks (go figure) Join the Navion/View forum group. They will answer all your questions. they are 6000 strong in membership.
Old 06-20-2020, 03:15 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Dealer Comments

Many thanks for your replies. Can you please direct me to the forum specific to Nations and Views? I could not locate it.

Thanks, Skip
Old 06-20-2020, 05:46 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBobbo View Post
I don't believe they have any problems with the cab over at on any new vehicles. Mine is a 2016 and there are no leaks. I've had my share of issues but leaking into the RV isn't one of them.

I know class c overhead has been problematic for leaks years ago with all of the manufacturers as per posts on the forums. I think the View with the one piece overhead has eliminated many of those problems.

As stated previously, Lichtsinn has plenty of information on their site. I did purchase from them and they have always been helpful to me. Their customer service throughout the company is way above what I had expected. Others may have similar experience with other dealers - they're not all bad.
I don’t think it’s a widespread problem in the new units. So far, no leaks in my new 20VJ, however I’ve only been through one heavy thunderstorm. A woman camped next to me recently with a 2020 had a leak but it was due to improperly sealed marker lights on top of the cab-over as opposed to a systemic structural issue. Easy fix.
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 05:48 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Many thanks for your replies. Can you please direct me to the forum specific to Nations and Views? I could not locate it.

Thanks, Skip
It’s on FaceBook. View/Navion Motorhomes. Private group but anyone can join. Just answer the few questions when requesting membership. It’s an active and helpful group. I joined it about 3 months before deciding to buy my View. They answered lots of my questions.
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 07:05 AM   #13
" Winnie Nutt "

Thumbs up

We have a 2019 View 24 D on a Sprinter chassis . No problems at all . One warranty issue with fresh water intake . Fixed that and upgraded the suspension with Sumo springs and Helwig sway bar . Oh, and added another solar panel to make it 3 total on roof . Fridge runs great for 3 -5 days depending on weather . Easy to drive and get around in tight places . My wife can drive as good as me . We have put 20K miles traveling for 19 months now with no issues . It is our first RV and so far it meets all our expectations and we have no regrets on our purchase . Leaving tomorrow for the beach for a week then after the 4th holiday heading to Glacier Park Montana doing a North and West tour .

Good luck on your decisions and welcome to the forum !
Buddy’s RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 07:37 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by mricet1005 View Post
It’s on FaceBook. View/Navion Motorhomes. Private group but anyone can join. Just answer the few questions when requesting membership. It’s an active and helpful group. I joined it about 3 months before deciding to buy my View. They answered lots of my questions.

Well not everyone wants to join/belong to facebook. Yes you can join the group but you must join Facebook. That is something I'm not willing to do.

Many people are on this site, sprinter forum, and IRV2 and I believe most issues are addressed here. Thanks for bringing news of a cab over leak issue to my attention but as of yet this is the first time it's mentioned on any of the sites that I belong. I assume it may not be such a widespread problem, or at least I hope it's not a major issue
Old 06-21-2020, 07:24 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Greetings,

Skip
My family and I were completely soaked by cab leaks during a test drive of a 2020 Winnebago Navion 24D. Test drove another one and same problem. The sales guys was pretty embarrassed. Needless to say, we didn’t buy either one. We did buy a 2020 24 J and have been thru some pretty heavy rains with no issues. Nothing a good bead of caulk couldn’t solve. Seriously though, never trust a sales guy basing another manufacturer product. Very bad form.
Old 06-22-2020, 01:01 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the information provide by the forum. It appears there may be a hint of truth from the dealers comments. Possibly just limited to the View D’s, although the manufacturing process should be standardized.
Perhaps Winnebago will get aggressive in resolving the sporadic issue?
Again, thanks for your useful insight.
Skip
Old 06-23-2020, 07:08 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

We picked up a 2021 View 24D several weeks ago from Lichtsinn.

Our first drive was across Iowa to the HWH factory to get the leveling system installed - in high wind and heavy rain.

We've had the D at our house for the past few days as we prepare to start using the RV on trips - and have had multiple days of heavy rain.

And so far, we haven't noticed any water leaks (including when the slide was out during some of the storms).

We've only used the D for a few days while we drove it back from Iowa to Houston - and we're very satisfied with our purchase so far. We love the floor plan and how much space we have during the day with the murphy bed stowed and the slide out. And have been pleasantly surprised at how much storage we have (including the overcab area).

It's possible Winnebago had some overcab leak issues with some of the 2020 production models (since they made changes between 2019 and 2020) and that they may have fixed those issue by now. Might be helpful to find out when the Views with the leaks were manufactured (if they were early in the 2020 production run).
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 09:57 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the recent information. You highlighted a very good point related to 2020 versus 2021 production.
I read exceptional reviews about that dealership, and was unaware to 2021’s were released.
Be safe and happy trails.
Skip
Old 06-23-2020, 10:03 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

When we were there two weeks ago, they were sold out of almost all of their new vehicles - and said they may not get any new (unsold) D's until September or October.

They've been great to work with - and have electric hookups for overnight stays in their parking lot.

At least so far, we don't regret making the 1100 mile drive to purchase the RV from Lichtsinn...
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer