Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2022, 12:47 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2020 Navion Dash Speed Limit Indication

folks,

Just picked up our 2020 Navion here in Florida. Learning the vehicle. On drive from Dealership, observed the Speed Limit shown on the GPS and the Instrument Panel never exceeded 55 MPH though I was cruising at 65 MPH.

Curiously, in areas with marked and reduced speed limits, both aforementioned indicators reflected the correct limits. Just does not want to go higher that 55 MPH. Is there a reason for this?? Or a way to correct??

Thanks,
cthiggy
cthiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 01:29 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Not used that system but on Garmin GPS, it depends on the updates to the programming like the maps.
On my older Garmin GPS, I was able to hit a couple buttons and change the posted speed limits, but when I moved to a newer, that seems to have been dropped on the Smart Drive 65 model!

New and improved is not always what we get?

We have lots of new road changes and those are just not being updated at all. I have a section of I35 near me that was under construction several years ago and the speed there still shows 55!
For your issue, I'm guessing that you may have to go to the specific model GPS and try to sort it out from online manuals as it is now considered just too much for them to tell you how things work anymore?

We've reached a point where everybody is expected to know everything but often nobody knows anything! Especially the guy selling it....
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 04:06 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

There are several "features" that are being limited in View/Navion because the Sprinter chassis is almost entirely used for commercial vans - and not as RVs.

Since a Sprinter van is classified as a commercial vehicle, Mercedes decided to limit the displayed speed limit in areas where they believe commercial vehicles have a lower speed limit - usually limited to 55 MPH. And their understanding of US speed limits isn't correct in at least some places. For example, Texas does not have a posted commercial speed limit of 55 MPH - commercial vehicles are allowed to drive at the posted speeds. But our View never shows more than 55 MPH on the dashboard.

A second MAJOR problem is Mercedes implementation of their driver assistance features using the front-facing camera and radar. Since almost all Sprinters are used for commercial applications in urban areas, the system is designed to assume there will periodically be vehicles in front of the Sprinter. If the driver assist system doesn't see a vehicle in front for an extended period (30 minutes?), the software assumes the system has malfunctioned and automatically disables it. And there's no way to override this. The system will stay disabled until the system is able to recalibrate - and that only happens after following a vehicle in front for 5-10 minutes. This is an extremely poor system design, and actually makes the Sprinter less safe to drive when this happens, because it not only disables cruise control - it also disables the automatic braking if the vehicle is at risk of a collision.

The third area is the rear view mirror and rear view camera. While it's true the US has regulations requiring a rear view mirror and not allowing the rear view camera to be in operation while the vehicle is moving forward, there is an exception to these rules when the rear view mirror can't be used - such as in an RV or a commercial van with a solid back. Mercedes or Winnebago should be able to apply for an exception for View/Navion, and remove the rear view mirror (making the front windshield shade fit much better - which we've done) and allow the rear view camera to operate while driving (which we have on our Tesla EVs).

Through our Sprinter service, I checked on these "features" - and they were able to reach out to Mercedes engineering in Germany - who confirmed everything was as they intended - these features were designed to support commercial vans - and they can't change the features for the small percentage of chassis used for RVs.

In the case of the speed limit - we always use Android Auto instead of the built-in MBUX navigation system (except when we can't get a T-Mobile signal). Android Auto also displays the posted speed limit - and that's correct almost all of the time. Plus, that data is coming from Google's server - while the Mercedes speed limit may be coming from the downloaded map stored in the vehicle - which can be 1 to 2 years out-of-date.

And that brings us to one other "feature". Mercedes (and Winnebago) states that our View/Navion RVs get automatic free map updates.

That's true - but it's only for the region in which you live (a large state like Texas or a combination of states). And that's fine for the 99.999% of Sprinters used as urban commercial vehicles.

But RVs are driven outside of the owner's home region - and when that happens, you'll be driving in areas where the maps are not automatically updated. To get all of the regions updated, you must go to the Mercedes Me website, download the other region map data to a USB memory stick - and then let the MBUX system update the maps when that USB memory stick is connected to the Sprinter dash.

Mercedes doesn't appear to update the maps very often (once per year) - but if you've had your View/Navion for more than a year, you should check the Mercedes Me website and manually install the map updates - they're free...
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 04:16 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Wow, those certainly seem a lot more like bugs to me than features 😁

It's wild that I can use the 360 camera mode on my 2019 Equinox Premier to see the rear view camera at any time, plus the side cameras, while the 2022 View camera system seems a lot more limited and less useful.

I guess that I'll have to look into a potential upgrade there along with a TPMS.

I'm also in Florida, so I'll keep an eye out for the max 55 mph speed limit issue as well.
Splaktar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 06:05 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Th camera limitation is a combination of decisions made by Mercedes and Winnebago.

Mercedes isn't customizing settings for Sprinter chassis used for RVs - limiting the rear view camera.

Winnebago decided not to provide the side view cameras, which are needed to provide the 360 view. Entegra includes the side view cameras for their Qwest model.

Initially we were concerned about the lack of a rear view camera combined the inability to see directly behind the coach.

After 2 years of driving our View, we've become more comfortable without having a rear view mirror or camera.

The rear view camera would be useful when towing a vehicle behind - to verify everything is OK. Since we don't tow anything - we're OK without the camera while driving.

Though, it is convenient in our Tesla EVs...
Old 06-08-2022, 06:06 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

The speed limit issue needs a Mercedes software update. Make an appt for it to be done. Some of the software updates are don't "over the air" and some require you to go in. This is one that you need to go in for. 21D.
NavOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 06:36 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthiggy View Post
folks,

Just picked up our 2020 Navion here in Florida. Learning the vehicle. On drive from Dealership, observed the Speed Limit shown on the GPS and the Instrument Panel never exceeded 55 MPH though I was cruising at 65 MPH.

Curiously, in areas with marked and reduced speed limits, both aforementioned indicators reflected the correct limits. Just does not want to go higher that 55 MPH. Is there a reason for this?? Or a way to correct??

Thanks,
cthiggy
For what it is worth:

I own a Sprinter based RV, although not by Winnebago, and it does not have any of these issues mentioned in this thread.

The speedometer, both the analog and digital, display the current speed up to at least 75, as that is the highest speed the RV has reached. Normally I keep to about 62-65 and the speedometer displays correctly.

The rear view camera in my RV can be set to show whichever of the 4 views (left, right, split and rear) that I wish when driving and I keep it set to rear when towing so I can keep an eye on the toad.

The front-facing camera that detects the current speed limit displays correctly for every speed limit I have encountered, up to 80 mph (Texas and some parts of Utah). There was a recall for a software update and that limited the camera based display to 55 mph, but a visit to the MB dealer and a MB fix addressed that issue.

My Sprinter is 2019 and is the 3500XD model, so perhaps there is some difference between my Sprinter and yours, but I have heard of no issues with the newer 2020 Sprinter 3500XD chassis for my RV that are similar to your issues.

Since I was able to get the software issue of the speedometer restriction fixed by the MB dealer (fixed under warranty) you might want to check with your local MB dealer instead of your Winnebago dealer.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 07:53 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

We had an update for the speedometer done last year - and it fixed it in some states, but not in Texas, where we drive most of the time.

Evidently Mercedes believes Texas has a truck speed limit of 65 - which is not the case.

Will try again for a new update during our next maintenance soon.

As for the cameras, we have a 2019 Sprinter under our 2021 View. But Winnebago didn't purchase the side camera package, so we only have the rear camera. Selecting the other viewing options when displaying the rear camera doesn't do anything meaningful.

It's possible RV's built on 2019 and later Sprinter that have the side view camera package are able to view the rear camera while driving.

According to our Sprinter service, there wasn't anything they could do to get the rear camera enabled in our View. And when I contacted Winnebago Customer Service, it didn't appear they could do anything other than raise the issue with their Mercedes rep - and since we haven't seen any change - that didn't have any impact.

Though... We've gotten used to driving without the rear view camera - and other than the dead spot immediately behind (where you'd be able to monitor a vehicle being towed), it hasn't been a safety issue for us.
Old 06-11-2022, 09:14 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

The 2022 Winnebago View 24D that I'm in the process of taking delivery on has a working rear camera but no side cameras. It just came off the line in May 2022. I need to mess with it some more to figure out if the rear camera can be used at times other than when backing up. Unfortunately, I had to push delivery by another week.
Splaktar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 09:28 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprochnow View Post
We had an update for the speedometer done last year - and it fixed it in some states, but not in Texas, where we drive most of the time.

Evidently Mercedes believes Texas has a truck speed limit of 65 - which is not the case.
Here is the history of what happened with our Sprinter regarding the displayed speed limit. It may (or may not) apply to you as well.

When we first got our RV everything concerning the speed display, both the speedometer and the dash display showing the speed limit worked correctly. No problem, except that the dash display showing the info (digital speed, miles traveled, current mpg, distance since Start and so on) was too dark to read. The outer displays of the tach and analog speed were fine, but the dark inner display was mostly unreadable and the brightness adjustment knob had no effect on that part of the display.

I was notified of a software update and told that it might (might!) fix the problem, so I had them install the update. That caused the problem with the dash display of the current speed limit (not the speedometer, only the current speed limit as seen by the camera). It would not display higher than 55 mph regardless of what the actual speed limit sign said. I brought it in to the MB dealer to get this fixed and they did fix it, but it required that they get in contact with MB and get a special software fix. It was not a regular update, but a custom patch, and it fixed the issue. Perhaps that is what you need to do as well. Not depend upon an update, but bring the Sprinter in and get it fixed under warranty.

That did not work for the brightness of the info display. It is still too dark to read and the service advisor at the MB dealership told me that MB said that that was just how it was.
Old 06-12-2022, 09:26 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

The dark center dashboard display is a design flaw (Mercedes has several of them in the 2019+ Sprinters) - it's too dark during daytime, and you can't make it brighter.

This is especially a problem when wearing sunglasses, which makes the center display even darker and harder to read...

During daytime, if the sun is shining directly into the display, it is actually more readable - with the sunlight lighting up the display.

If you could shine a light onto that display, it might be more readable.

With a couple of obvious design flaws (such as the cruise control/driver assist features automatically being disabled while driving on lightly travelled roads), somewhat disappointed in Mercedes engineering...
Old 06-13-2022, 07:17 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprochnow View Post
The dark center dashboard display is a design flaw (Mercedes has several of them in the 2019+ Sprinters) - it's too dark during daytime, and you can't make it brighter.

This is especially a problem when wearing sunglasses, which makes the center display even darker and harder to read...

During daytime, if the sun is shining directly into the display, it is actually more readable - with the sunlight lighting up the display.

If you could shine a light onto that display, it might be more readable.
I was not aware that MB recognized it as a design flaw, only that they would not fix it.

Every once in a while the center display lights up like a Christmas Tree and is easily visible, and I have noticed that seems to happen when he sun is behind me coming in from the driver’s side window and shining on the display, but I was never able to figure out exactly how to get it to do that, and I had not thought about using a flashlight, although I will do that today since we are on a short trip.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 06-13-2022, 08:58 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

MB won't admit their design flaws - only that these features are working as designed.

The automatic disabling of cruise control also disables emergency brake assist, so that "feature" actually makes the vehicle less safe. But MB says that's how it was designed to work...

Tags
cat, dash