Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-18-2020, 06:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Question 2019 View 24J Leveling Question

Hello! I am a newbie to RVing. We just purchased a 2019 View 24J and are loving it so far! We are storing it in our driveway, and have been making trips weekly or biweekly.

My main learning curve right now is leveling. Here is our current situation: We have it leveled in the driveway right now, and we have 5 inches under one front wheel (using camco leveling blocks) and 10 inches under the other (using a stack of rubber pavers we bound together). That has us very close to perfectly level, both front to back and side to side.

My questions is: If we're only storing the RV for 2 weeks at a time max, and we're not putting out the slider or using the fridge while it's in the driveway, how level does it have to be? Can I just park it in between trips without worrying about leveling it in the driveway? I measured the slope of the driveway - it's 5.9% or 3.38 degrees.

Thanks for any help!
curlycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 07:37 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Very little to worry about the level when storing, much like a car---unless you are wanting to use the frig and that can become a problem if you are running it on propane rather than electricity but that also has to be pretty extreme as it makes the small flame go up in a way that it doesn't always hit the correct spot to make it cool.
Basic idea, if you have trouble walking in the RV, consider not using the frig on gas?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 03:38 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Richard! It sounds like I may be making this into a bigger deal, which is a relief!
Old 11-19-2020, 05:32 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Outside of sleeping or being convenient for cooking, the only time I find level is a question is doing things like checking the tank levels or draining as being on a slope of some sort does make a difference in getting the right reading or draining them fully.
My parking space next to the house is sloped left/right so that I have to keep in mind that dumping the black and grey doesn't get it very close to empty until I use the jacks to raise one side!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 12:48 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

If it is a propane fridge then when on it needs to be within 4 degrees of level side to side when facing it. There is a bubble level app for the smartphones or pick up digital one. When camping I would have the front wheels on the low spot and then drive up onto some 4x6 PT wood blocks to gain 3.5 inches. That was nearly always enough for the fridge to operate.

If the RV is plugged into 110VAC then the fridge will run without the propane and can be cooled down for 12 hours before loading it with food.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 06:23 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Elkman. That's helpful info! In the driveway we could use electricity, though we might need to switch to propane at the campsite depending on hookups. I didn't realize the frig worked differently based on power source, I thought it needed to be level regardless. That simplifies things a little.
Old 11-20-2020, 09:12 PM   #7
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Very little to worry about the level when storing, much like a car---unless you are wanting to use the frig and that can become a problem if you are running it on propane rather than electricity but that also has to be pretty extreme as it makes the small flame go up in a way that it doesn't always hit the correct spot to make it cool.
Basic idea, if you have trouble walking in the RV, consider not using the frig on gas?
Agreed. We put ours up on ramps to get it “reasonably level”, when we don’t plan on using it for a month or so, or I need to work on it and get the slides out. The residential 110v electric refrigerator works fine, and, although I haven’t actually measured the degree of slope, there’s a ten inch drop front front to rear on our 27’ rig.

We keep it on the ground, mostly because we want to be able to pull it out and use it more frequently and it’s a hassle getting it up and down the ramps. But the other reason is we live in a high fire danger area and if I have to get out of here quickly, I don’t want to be worrying about clearing ramps, I just want to pull out...

When we do ramp up, I go only 6”up in the back, (on one side 5” on the other), and of course nothing up front, as our driveway slopes down towards the back. Higher than that, and I worry about side winds with it elevated too much (Camco recommended no more than 4” height on their pads).

Hope that helps...
Old 11-23-2020, 06:10 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Excellent, thank you Wyatt. Based on this post we're just going to worry about leveling in the driveway when we are parked over a month. That's a relief!!

Also, I love all the upgrades on your Intent! I got some ideas I may be implementing for us!
Old 11-25-2020, 05:32 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

leveling question

Check on your refrigerator to see if it a compressor type that runs on 12 volts only.
If so, refrigerator does not need to be leveled at anytime.
I have 1 Navion 2019J and I have the compressor type refrigerator.

Jipper
2019 Navion J
jipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling, view