Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-26-2022, 07:16 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2019 22M water check valve leak

Hi - I’m at a campground and it looks like the fresh water tank is getting filled up when I’m connected to the city fill input. Yes I doubled checked :-). I’m thinking it’s the check valve that’s supposed to prevent that from happen.

My question is where is that valve?? I can look at the diagrams when I get home to my computer but was wondering if someone can point me in the right direction until then.

2019 22M Minnie Winnie.

Thanks
Kelm130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 07:32 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Typically, it's integrated with the demand pump. You might try disconnecting city water and cycling the demand pump. It may have a piece of trash in it.
IOS 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 08:07 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

At first thought, I would tend to agree with the above idea! But then when I look closer, you seem to have a different layout which leaves me with doubt.

There are two different builds of your RV, depending on the 7th number of your serial number. To be sure to get the correct drawing, is your 7th digit 1 or 2 for early or late build?

Then my second question is about the fill ports on the side. It appears you have three connections, one for flushing by itself and then two where I would normally expect only one.

The far right hand one is direct to the tank and assumed for filling, so what is the second used for as it seems to go direct to the pump?
Why is there a connection to the pump for city water if we have another point for filling the tank???
I don't normally expect to see a seperate connection to use city water if we are using the pump. Can you fill me in on what those two seem to do? The right makes sense but not the left, so far!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fill.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	184228  
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 08:18 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

According to the owner's manual, the right one is city water connection, and the left is tank fill.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 08:55 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

There is a port for filling the tank and one for when connected to a city supply hose. Most RVs have one input and a lever to flip but on this model it’s two separate inputs. From what I can see it looks like the one used for city water runs over to a T junction right after the pump.
Old 09-26-2022, 09:39 AM   #6
Site Team

Hi Kelm,
Here are our fresh water plumbing diagrams for the 2019 22M, and the only two ways into the fresh water tank are through the tank fill port on the outside, and back through the on-demand water pump. Our fresh water tanks also have a vent, so if you are hooked-up to city water AND water is coming-out of the overflow vent, you should see that hitting the driver's side outboard duallie.
I only see two possibilities here:
1.) As mentioned above by IOS 3, your pump has (or had) something stuck in it, allowing backflow.
2.) Somebody filled your tank when you weren't looking; perhaps as a favor or a practical joke?
On another subject, did you see my post for the IRVWPC? I really like mine.
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 09-26-2022, 09:46 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the info eagle5. Yes it’s dripping on the tire as you describe. It does stop when I shut off the water supply at the campground pole so it looks like the valve in the pump is the culprit. I will use the pump to lower the level plus it might clear out anything that’s stuck in the valve. I love our 22M also. I’ll check out your post.

Thanks again!
Old 09-26-2022, 10:47 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
According to the owner's manual, the right one is city water connection, and the left is tank fill.
Yes, agree with what the manual says but then it conflicts with both the parts and the plumbing drawings, so I thought to ask to make sure we had the correct build???
What the manual says:

Name:	tankfill3.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	184229

What plumbing shows:

Name:	tank fill2.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	184230

What parts shows:

Name:	tank fill1.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	184231

So for the folks who have one of these, which is correct, the manual or the parts and plumbing drawings? And what do the labels say on the RV?
Fill port on right or left?
Old 09-26-2022, 10:57 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

To me it looks right in the diagram. The right port is the tank fill. Here’s a pic of mine. Just strange they list it as city fill on the other one. Of course right now on mine it is filling the tank also lol!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B1828587-ABBC-47E2-9D0B-B714BC885E8A.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	184232  
Old 09-26-2022, 11:01 AM   #10
Site Team

... and a couple of photos of my 2019 22M:

Old 09-26-2022, 11:36 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Looks like the two different drawings are correct and the manual and labeling are not the best. Looks like the labels shown in the manual are not what you folks have and calling anything "city fill" is pretty far off for my thinking.

Sometimes I think the drawings are made by folks who have to build the thing and the manual is then grabbed from bits and pieces by somebody who just walked through the shop one day.
I also notice the manual shows a couple electrical connections just above the water that don't show on the real RV!

But back to the real question, I can fully agree that it is likely the little flap that passes as a check valve may have something stuck in it.
But if it doesn't clear in flushing, there are parts/repair kits for most pumps and it is easy to replace the rubber gizmos!
I've not looked at one lately but it was just a rubber flap that fell back oner the line when pressure came from the wrong direction. I guess it is a check valve but that is pushing hard to make it sound classy!

An alternate if the pump is hard to get out is just adding an inline check valve next to the pump. Depends on layout but sometimes it is as simple as snipping the tubing and sticking the new in the middle!
Old 09-26-2022, 04:40 PM   #12
Site Team

That check valve is built into the pump. It’s on the front of the pump and you can replace it or rebuild it. Kits are easily available.

But wait, the easy fix is to turn off city water, turn on the pump and use the pump for a number of days until you’ve used up that fresh water in the tank. Once that’s done, turn off the pump and restart the city water.

Chances are very good that will fix the issue for the foreseeable future. If it doesn’t, then check Amazon for the rebuild kit. It’s cheap and super easy to DIY the fix.

Best practice by the way is to not run the pump when you are on city water. Doing so just enhances the chance of check valve issues.

One more thing, you can buy a $20 plastic general purpose 1/2” in-line check valve and put it on the output side of your water pump and that will fix things basically forever.

Tags
leak, water