Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-26-2022, 03:47 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2019 22M & Extend A Stay LP fitting

Hi - I have a Camco version of the Extend A Stay LP tee left over from my last RV that I never installed. It looks like it might be a little tight on our 22M. Has anyone installed one on their 22M?
Old 03-27-2022, 09:42 AM   #2
Site Team

Hi Ben & Miriam,
I believe the geometry on the 22M's propane tank is very similar to other floor plans, so I guess it would work. Another thought would be to use the small 16 ounce propane canister to run your barbecue.
The fewer the connections to and from your built-in propane tank, the fewer the opportunities for leaks.
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 03-27-2022, 02:58 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Hey Eagle5 - I was more thinking about using it to connect large portable tanks to the rv if we were to stay in one place for a long time to avoid disconnecting hookups at the site and driving somewhere.

I’m probably over thinking it. I’ve never run out of propane yet plus the 22M is so easy to move and drive I’m not sure what I’m worried about. I just had the parts left over from our last RV. It may be an issue if it we were somewhere cold and had to run the heat a lot.
Old 03-27-2022, 04:11 PM   #4
Site Team

Hi Ben & Miriam,
OK - I see why you are considering it now.
Unlike gasoline, propane doesn't go bad with age, so it is no problem topping-off the built-in tank as often as you like. Yes, the propane tank does last a long time in a moderate climate.
Eagle5
Old 04-04-2022, 11:00 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

22M Extend-A-Stay details

Check-Out
https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ne-360554.html

Have a 22M, installed an extended stay over a year ago so don’t remember the exact details but this might be helpful. When I purchased the 24M used, I noticed that the lowest part of the under chassis was a looped hi-pressure hose from the LP tank, so my motivation was to eliminate the dangerous condition and while I was at it, add hi-pressure quick-disconnect connection to the main RV tank. This turned out to be more useful than I thought because it enabled me to use the on-board tank as a hi-pressure supply reservoir (using remote regulators) as well as the extended stay function.
1. No, the Extended Stay was too long to mount as the instructions specified. The unit would not fit on the LP tank (after the main valve as I remember, it ran into a sturdy steel bracket, I believe a support for the slide rail.

2. I found a solution by inserting a tee connector directly after the main valve and mounting the extend-a-stay to it, preserving the ground clearance. (see the URL listed above, note Morich's photo)

3. The most difficulty that I had was to find ONE adapter tee that had the appropriate threads on each port (as Eagle 5 mentioned, to minimize the number of connectors). I found one at a semi-truck repair shop.
4. One potential issue that I notice for all extended-a-stay installations is that the unit is so long that is may be subject to cracking at the connectors due to the road vibration. It behaves like a pendulum. When you install it you may want to support the weight near the output hi-pressure hose with plumbers tape or a more ridged method. Tying down the output hose with tie-wraps may help as well.
5. I drilled a hole in the bracket that mounts the stock hi-pressure tank fill fitting and mounted a bulkhead quick-disconnect there, accessible when the cargo bay door is open.
6. I installed a gas ball valve from Home Depot directly before the quick disconnect fitting, behind the mounting bracket, to depressurize residual propane in the hose before connecting an external propane bottle. It is awkward but functional. Be sure to leak test all connectors.
7. If you use pipe tape rather than thread compound for the fittings, be sure to use PTFE hi-temp Teflon tape usually yellow in color.

About a year after installing the Extend-A-Stay, I received a recall notice from Winnebago, requesting that I take the RV to an authorized Winnie repair shop to remediate a problem with leaking in the main tank hose transition to the filler hose.

After the repair shop saw the extend-a-stay modification, they took pictures of it and checked off the recall completion without any work done on the unit. You might want to check-in to the recall notifications before installing Extend-A-Stay.
Shedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 11:23 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

One more thing - Safety

1. One unexpected surprise - The hose from the external LP tank can be under as much as 300lb pressure. If using quick-disconnect fittings, this pressure will launch the hose when the quick disconnect is release causing possible damage to the operator. Use caution labels near the quick disconnect fitting and always slowly disconnect the external tank before the quick-disconnect.

2. There are 3 different quick disconnect types. Be sure to use the appropriate flammable gas rated one, don't use "universal" types.
Old 04-04-2022, 12:25 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedboy View Post
About a year after installing the Extend-A-Stay, I received a recall notice from Winnebago, requesting that I take the RV to an authorized Winnie repair shop to remediate a problem with leaking in the main tank hose transition to the filler hose.
Hi Shedboy,
I have not received any recall notices on my 22M, which was manufactured in January of 2019. I have sent an Email request:
To: [email protected]
Subject: Open Recalls?
and provided to them my Winnebago Body Serial Number.
Do you have the month & year of when your 22M was manufactured?
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 04-05-2022, 06:33 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I would interested in hearing what you find out eagle5. I don’t completely understand the shops position of not doing any work on the recall?? Was the recall for the gasoline filler line and what did it have to do with the lp system?
Old 04-05-2022, 08:42 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

22M LP recall

My 22M is a 2012 model. Couldn't find the paperwork for the LP recall but did come across the recall notice for drivers side air bag.

If I remember correctly, the RV Tech was interested in the factory LP connector with a blue dust cap mounted on the bulkhead inside the cargo bay.

My thoughts as to the service center reaction was that they didn't want to or couldn't perform the recall notice because of my stay-a-while modification. It is possible that they took the photos as a CYA precaution to avoid liability in the event of a problem. I can also remember seeing the repair order write-up with a total materials charge of less than $50.00, most of the cost was labor, I think the upgrade was the connector itself or the fitting on the hose end.

If I come across the detail I'll post it.
Old 04-05-2022, 10:48 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Ah ok makes sense now. I scanned for recalls on my 2019 and didn’t come across any.
Old 04-05-2022, 11:44 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Came across this post that rang a bell, may or may not be relevant -------

"I know I tried to get my local Propane distributor to install a feed for my BBQ and he wouldn't do it since it is adapting a DOT approved system. Guess he didn't want the liability if something went wrong since it may invalidate the insurance coverage by changing a DOT system."

When I purchased the tee fitting from the semi-truck parts dealer, he told me that the fitting was not DOT approved. Could explain why the service tech took pictures.

I would proceed with the stay-a-while, in my experience I achieved removing the lowest ground clearance point under the chassis, the propane hose. I essentially traded a high probably, high severity safety risk with a low probably one.

An interesting conundrum - when I fill my external 25lb and 100lb propane bottles, they are inspected for DOT compliance although they are not attached to a vehicle. When I fill the 24M internal bottle attacked to the RV there is no inspection.

I boondock occasionally in the Rockies above 10,000 ft elevation and carry a spare 15lb LP bottle along with 5 gal diesel jug in the cargo compartment next to the 24M propane fittings, along with the dump hose. By connecting the bottle to the stay-a-while, I can procrastinate leaving the Rockies by a day.
Old 04-05-2022, 04:14 PM   #12
Site Team

Today, I received a return Email from Angie at Winnebago. She advises me that my 2019 22M Minnie Winnie has no recalls. Good to know!
Old 04-06-2022, 07:27 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Good to know! What did you use for a contact email address at Winnebago?
Old 04-06-2022, 10:21 AM   #14
Site Team

Hi Ben,
You can send an Email request to:
[email protected]
Subject: Open Recalls?
and provided to them the Winnebago Body Serial Number.
Hopefully, you are all good-to-go with no recalls.
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 04-07-2022, 02:55 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the info Eagle5!
Old 04-07-2022, 08:09 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedboy View Post
An interesting conundrum - when I fill my external 25lb and 100lb propane bottles, they are inspected for DOT compliance although they are not attached to a vehicle. When I fill the 24M internal bottle attacked to the RV there is no inspection.
Portable RV tanks like on TTs along with home BBQ tanks, etc., are DOT certified and require recertification every twelve years.

Permanently mounted motorhome tanks are more heavily made and are ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers) certified. They do not require recertification. Another factor may be that, since they're permanently mounted, they're less prone to damage.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote