Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2019, 12:00 PM   #1
2018 Minnie Winnie 22M

2018 MW 22M Slide out noise

Hi. I have a 2018 MW 22M with the slide out for the bed. I would like to ask those of you who have similar rigs, just how noisy is yours when extending or retracting the slide out. Mine makes an awful racket and if I didn’t know better, I was thinking it was destroying itself with the grinding and popping it makes. Took it back to the dealer who said that was completely normal. Since I never really tested any other RVs and their slide outs, both Winnebagos and others, I don’t have any real points of reference on how loud slide outs are when they are engaged. However, it works fine!

Is your slide out noisy?

Thanks.

Lee
mcfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:49 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

How about you record the sound (or a short video) and post it? You dealer may be right or he may be trying to avoid you but if let the rest of us listen and look, you maybe will find out.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:04 AM   #3
2018 Minnie Winnie 22M

Okay, I will when I get a chance. But my question was really general in nature: are your slide outs noisy when activated? I ask as I have no experience with any other slide outs.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:05 PM   #4
2018 Minnie Winnie 22M

I have tried without success to post a video recording of the slide out, even cutting it down to 5 seconds. “Video recording not allowed”.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:10 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

why not just try another rig in the dealer's lot and hear if it is the same?
Old 05-18-2019, 07:53 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

You can always post it to a publicly accessible location and then post a link. I use Dropbox when I need to do this but other photo sharing services can be used.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:04 AM   #7
Winnebago owner

I have a 22M, yes slide outs are "noisy". To check if there is some kind of alignment issue, when slide out is in you can see the teeth that run thru the gear by you bedroom cupboard. Just feel them with your hand, if any grinding it will show there. Im gonna put a little lithium grease on mine, just to help for longevity .
Old 05-18-2019, 09:30 AM   #8
2018 Minnie Winnie 22M

Thank you dean335i. That’s all I was asking: “is the slide out noisy?” I have never had one before and I don’t have any points of reference on how they work. At my dealer, they say the sounds, that include popping and banging are normal. The teeth feel find like there is no roughness like poor alignment or unusual wear. I have asked twice and was told that the slide out gear tracks are not to be oiled or greased in any way - they are to be left dry, although that is counterintuitive to me. Perhaps the motors used in that small slide out are just about running at capacity and that’s why they make so much noise.

NYBobbo - Yeah, I was at the dealer a couple of weeks ago and never thought of it to ask them to cycle a new rig’s slide out. Next time I will.

Thanks to all who responded.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:50 AM   #9
Winnebago owner

sounds like I won't put lithium grease on, for now, Glad to help. Read mybthread about carpet makes a big noise diff in front of cab
Old 05-19-2019, 06:03 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

FWIW-

there are slide lubricants out there, they are specifically marked as such. This type of spray lube does not attract any dirt. Dealer suggested I spray the tracks and rollers under the slide a few times a year.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:42 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

The proper slide lube for Schwintek slides is PTFE. It is basically spray on Teflon. Read the directions before you apply. It is dry and will not attract dirt.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:23 PM   #12
2018 Minnie Winnie 22M

This is the track on my MW 22M. It’s a simple cog gear that is suspended out from the side of the unit. I know there is lots of flexibility in this track as the slide out operates, as sometimes the track is bowed outward, and other times inward. I suspect that it just slightly out of sync, and that might be the extra noise, with popping and banging that I hear. I will show this to the dealer, but appointments there take months to get. It does work, but darn, what a racket.

Thanks for everyone’s input, but I was instructed that for this slide out system, no lubrication whatsoever.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E9540938-72BD-4478-B7A3-8C908E12B59E.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	171603  
Old 05-24-2019, 08:08 AM   #13
RJ2
Winnebago Camper

Did a cross country , with the 24J, kept hearing a noise in back of my head driving . Thought it was stuff in cabinet . Then it got worse and in many places on slide side . Finally did the CRC with bending the straw nozzle and lubed the slide gears.
Wow then I heard how smooth and quiet the slides are really suppose to be. I then went under and saw the three places on the blue metal skin that were silver from rubbing . Lubed those spots and no more slide noise . It was noisy from day one , so like a brand new RV
The other noise is the side door post for latch . Put piece of tape on post and it got quiet. I went back and improved it by filling latch hook smooth on sharp point and putting heat shrink over post and heat shrinking and putting some baseline on the post works great
RJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:13 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I have the 31D (2017) and the same mechanisms. I do understand your concern especially with all the problems folks had with slides awhile back. One of our seals got caught on the gear because it was installed incorrectly, they fixed it in Forest City at no charge. I would highly recommend a visit to Forest City to have it checked out the next time you cross the country. Keep a list of anything else you'd like WB to tend to, they are very good about taking care of things once you get in.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide out, slide, noise