Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-11-2021, 05:11 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2017 Winnabago 24V View stability while driving

Has anyone had issues with the driving stability with a 2017 Winnabago 24V View? It feels like the unit is going to tip over while driving on a off ramp or drive way, thinking about upgrading the sway bar, shocks and stabilization springs both front and rear. But wanted to hear from anyone first, any suggestions or type of equipment to replace to improve the stability of this coach will be appreciated
49erfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 05:21 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I replaced pen swaybar with Hellwig Sway Bar. Also added Sumho springs. Seems to help some.
Lmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 05:56 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thank you I’m planning to do that.
Old 07-11-2021, 06:21 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Your welcome! From a Bears fan!
Lmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 07:07 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Haha! Good luck this season....
Old 07-12-2021, 04:38 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Sumo springs will help 33% with side to side sway, maybe more. A must.

Doug Herzog
Dougherzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 07:15 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougherzog View Post
Sumo springs will help 33% with side to side sway, maybe more. A must.

Doug Herzog
Thanks, will upgrading the shocks help more than upgrading the sway bar or do both?
Old 07-18-2021, 04:13 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

After our first 1500 mile trip in our 2020 View, it went to Main Line in Mesa, AZ for a all whell alignment, Koni Shocks and Sumo springs. This Sprinter had the larger anti sway bar already intalled by the factory we guess. This made a world of difference. Controllable and steady. Very happy to have made the upgrade.
Steve1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 04:15 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

We put on Agile off Road Fox 2.0 HD shocks and never had to do the sway bar but some do both. It made a lot of difference in the ride. This subject is covered in depth on the View?Navion Facebook group, check it out there is a ton of great information.
Accipiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 04:43 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

When I purchased my 2016 View used I immediately installed a Hellwig sway bar, Koni shocks front and rear, and Sumo springs front and rear. I did not drive it long enough to be able to tell you the difference but I am very happy with the way it handles. Seriously, the worst thing is going slow over speed bumps if you are absolutely square with the hump. Really!
Hatrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 05:26 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I have added the following: SUMO Springs front & Rear, Helwig anti-sway bars front and rear, Koni Shocks front & rear and finally Centramatic wheel balancing. Centramatic.com. all well worth the investment for better handling and ride comfort.
DGundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 05:58 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Ive been working on our '16 view suspension for the last 5 years.While the View/Navion are arguably best in class unit the suspension sway is an issue. After first trip with it I had the front wheels aligned as they come toed out from factory.This improved tire wear, handling and fuel milage noticeably. Next the Helwig sway bar. This is the single most effective upgrade for the side to side sway these things have over speed bumps and such. Then added sumo springs, these made little to no difference imo.I almost thought I bought the ole snake oil at the carnival or whatever. If you are not familiar with these they are simple blocks of foam that when installed fill the void between the rear axle and frame.Keep in mind these units are near max weight capacity empty,lots of unsprung weight, then you load in all your gear making them fairly top heavy. How that foam makes a significant difference escapes me. Finally installed Bilstien shocks all around. These made little difference also as shocks only control the action of the springs, not eliminate sway so much.Also made the rear bang over joints in the pavement, rumble strips stuff like that. Recently I ordered the Fox 2.0 Agile off road shocks that are a much more robust design tuned for the weight of the view. Due to the shortages lately I have yet to receive them but think that will be a nice upgrade. As a mechanic I installed this equipment myself and tried to test each upgrade as I did them and they are just my 2 cents. Happy Rving in the View/Navion they are dandy units
Tim k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 06:38 PM   #13
2015 Winnebago View 24V

My only suspension mod so far has been adding Sumo springs front and rear. These polyurethane bumpers replace the original hard rubber stops which left significant gaps between suspension gear. The Sumos fill those original open gaps completely and compress up to 80%. As a result the suspension compressions are dampened sooner in a controlled manner. This avoids the "hard" bottoming out of the original kit. I found the Sumos reduced my Interstate swaying induced by the big rigs and also lessened the amount of lean when transiting ramps and unlevel areas. A reasonable DIY project and worth the $400 expense. Just make sure you have a deep 13 mm socket!
Sailorman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 06:47 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Stability issues while driving

Thank you all for providing the information on the type of equipment to modify and to improve the stability of my View. I will be doing the upgrades soon, but the Fox shocks seem to be on a back order every where you look. Does anyone have a preference on where they purchased all these items? It’s seems you have to go to several different web sites to buy the sway bar, springs, and shocks. Any information is appreciated, thanks again to you all!!!
Old 07-19-2021, 07:03 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I just got a 2021 View , with a 2020 chassis. I am getting a lot of vibration 65-73 mph . This seems to be from the rear tires, not a lot of vibration in steering wheel. Dealer told me it doesn’t need wheels balanced. I can’t believe that . I also get a lot of swaying . Just looking for some opinions. Thanks
WV Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 07:40 PM   #16
2015 Winnebago View 24V

May want to have driveshaft checked out. There have been noise/vibration issues that originated there.
Sailorman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 07:53 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Does anybody know of a company that will in install sumos in the Savannah Georgia area or close by on a 2021 View. Does it have to be a Mercedes dealer? To be ok with warranty ?
WV Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 12:03 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

The problem with sway is that the rear leaf springs can barely handle the load when it is evenly distributed over both sets and cannot cope with the load increasing on one side in a turn. Only real fix is to increase the load capacity of the rear springs with a set of SuperSprings. Everything else is a Band-aid and not a real fix. Adding the SuperSprings will also make the factory shocks more effective as they do not have to work as hard with less body roll.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 03:44 PM   #19
Winnebago Watcher

I had / have the exact same issue with vibration in the front when i hit 70mph and above. I took it to the Merc Benz dealer for Sprinters and they did the wheel balance which made some difference but still was vibrating. so i took it back and they ended up replacing 3 rear tires Continental LT 215/85 R 16. I just took it on a 3000 trip and it shook very little but did some. I also noticed that on the tires it says inflate to 80PSI while on the door it says 60PSI so i need to look into that. Next step is to put on KONI front struts / sumo springs. Rear KONI shocks , new sway bar and Sumo on the rear.
HarveytheRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 05:39 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim k View Post
Ive been working on our '16 view suspension for the last 5 years.While the View/Navion are arguably best in class unit the suspension sway is an issue. After first trip with it I had the front wheels aligned as they come toed out from factory.This improved tire wear, handling and fuel milage noticeably. Next the Helwig sway bar. This is the single most effective upgrade for the side to side sway these things have over speed bumps and such. Then added sumo springs, these made little to no difference imo.I almost thought I bought the ole snake oil at the carnival or whatever. If you are not familiar with these they are simple blocks of foam that when installed fill the void between the rear axle and frame.Keep in mind these units are near max weight capacity empty,lots of unsprung weight, then you load in all your gear making them fairly top heavy. How that foam makes a significant difference escapes me. Finally installed Bilstien shocks all around. These made little difference also as shocks only control the action of the springs, not eliminate sway so much.Also made the rear bang over joints in the pavement, rumble strips stuff like that. Recently I ordered the Fox 2.0 Agile off road shocks that are a much more robust design tuned for the weight of the view. Due to the shortages lately I have yet to receive them but think that will be a nice upgrade. As a mechanic I installed this equipment myself and tried to test each upgrade as I did them and they are just my 2 cents. Happy Rving in the View/Navion they are dandy units
Let us know what you think when you get those Fox shocks installed. I'm thinking about getting them too but the 2.5 on my rig with the 2" spacer blocks.

Tags
view