Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-10-2021, 07:11 AM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Just wondering if all the models we are discussing can be cured the same way. I know Winnebago has changed over the years.
WV Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 08:08 AM   #22
Winnebago Watcher

Good morning everyone, just sending an update to my previous post. I received and installed the Agile fox shocks on the rear. Theses were in fact the 2.5 model not 2.0 as previously stated. Let me say I noticed the difference pulling out of the parking stall. Much more stable, the back end sway was reduced markably and overall feels more stable.Took down the highway and over railroad tracks and several speed bumps and the suspension performance is much much better. I have now installed Hellwig sway bar, sumo springs and Fox 2.5 shocks and am now happy with the handling of this house on wheels. As for the shocks, they take awhile to get(4 months in my case) but when you get them you will notice they are heavy duty and much more robust than the factory shocks. I took several pictures of the new and old shocks side by side and the complete suspension showing the sway bar, sumos and fox shocks.I can't seem to upload them successfully but if anyone is interested I could email them.Cheers
Tim k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 09:40 AM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveytheRV View Post
I also noticed that on the tires it says inflate to 80PSI while on the door it says 60PSI
Woah, there. Not so fast.

The tires say "Max Inflation 80psi" and the placard on the door says the suggested tire pressure.

In a motorhome, go with the placard on the door. That's the PSI you want to start with.

A good alternative is to take your RV, full of water, food, camping gear and fuel to a truck scale and weigh the entire motorhome in a worst case, as heavy as possible, situation. Then find the tire inflation weight chart for your exact tire brand and model and size. Using the actual weight from the truck scale and the chart you can find the tire manufacturer's suggested PSI for the weight of your RV. Add about 10% to that PSI for a safety margin and you should be good to go. It's likely that you may be able to set the pressure a tad less than the door placard's PSI.

There are dozens of YouTube videos on how to this is if you're confused.

PS. You might check and see if the tire also has a Max Speed label on the tire. Certainly, over 70 is probably pushing it too much.
Old 08-26-2021, 03:36 PM   #24
Winnebago Watcher

We just purchased a one owner 2018 View 24V with only 8k miles on a MB Sprinter. After our first trip the wife was ready to put a for sale sign on it. The ride was rough on a 400 mile stretch of southern NY road. The order was fix it or sell it. After reading about every post on the internet I took the recommendation that some of you have done.

Spent most of a the day laying on the driveway with the RV on Camco 4x2 RV Leveling Blocks. Installed rear Helwig anti-sway bar, SUMO Springs front & Rear and Koni Shocks front & rear. Only done a few test drives around the area but I can say we are now not going to sell it. The ride and handling is greatly improved. The ride is much smoother and not the a jolt at every bridge expansion joint or every crack in the road.
OH Wilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 11:38 AM   #25
Winnebago Owner

I have 45,000 miles driving my 15 View G. IMHO the upgrades are needed, sumo, hellwig, Fox shocks, alinement, And cross wind assist.
My travels have been all over the West. Many trips have had wind, from the cascades across the Rockies, So Cal to AZ and multi trips to TX.
My upgrade have help, the truck passing issue is long gone, 40 mph side winds are hard but CWA is a great. I had my Mercedes dealer add it last year, it’s a software change that will apply brakes on the side getting wind, some times light but hard at times. The View runs straight.
Old 09-01-2021, 08:53 PM   #26
Winnebago Camper

I have done the Helwig and the sumosprings. It reduced the semi passing wind suction sway but I'd hope for better overall results. So I asked the Etrailer.com guys which would give me the better bang for my next buck, the Supersprings vs. an added Roadmaster sway bar that is an auxilary add to the rear suspension and mounts in front of the rear axle. They said for sway the Roadmaster is the ticket so I have one on order. I might add the springs later anyway. While I read that they may relieve some sway the springs are springs and are designed to handle weight. I try not to over load my rig and typically travel without much in the tanks.but it is a challenge as the cargo load on these units is not great. I'ts one reason I have the View instead of the Tiffin. That model has about 20% less carrying capacity. One reason for the Superspring consideration is that we are looking to get a couple of electric bikes which I will carry on a rack with the trailer hitch. Some folks forget or don't know that tongue weight should be considered part of the cargo carry weight. So is there anyone with experience adding the Roadmaster vs. the Supersprings?
Winnefredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 04:39 PM   #27
Winnebago Camper

I have added the SUMO SSF-106-40 to front and SSR-338-54 to rear and love them. What Hellwig anti sway and Koni shocks did you add? I want to add them. Thanks. Doug
Dougherzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 01:22 PM   #28
U.S.Travelers

Lots of sway underway and parked...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim k View Post
Ive been working on our '16 view suspension for the last 5 years.While the View/Navion are arguably best in class unit the suspension sway is an issue. After first trip with it I had the front wheels aligned as they come toed out from factory.This improved tire wear, handling and fuel milage noticeably. Next the Helwig sway bar. This is the single most effective upgrade for the side to side sway these things have over speed bumps and such. Then added sumo springs, these made little to no difference imo.I almost thought I bought the ole snake oil at the carnival or whatever. If you are not familiar with these they are simple blocks of foam that when installed fill the void between the rear axle and frame.Keep in mind these units are near max weight capacity empty,lots of unsprung weight, then you load in all your gear making them fairly top heavy. How that foam makes a significant difference escapes me. Finally installed Bilstien shocks all around. These made little difference also as shocks only control the action of the springs, not eliminate sway so much.Also made the rear bang over joints in the pavement, rumble strips stuff like that. Recently I ordered the Fox 2.0 Agile off road shocks that are a much more robust design tuned for the weight of the view. Due to the shortages lately I have yet to receive them but think that will be a nice upgrade. As a mechanic I installed this equipment myself and tried to test each upgrade as I did them and they are just my 2 cents. Happy Rving in the View/Navion they are dandy units
Thanks for the info Tim.
Did your upgrades reduce the sway when parked too? We can't even move on the couch without rocking the whole rig 😬
Was the Hellwig model the 7254?
TandDFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 01:27 PM   #29
U.S.Travelers

Right!?! Our first trip and I am also tempted to sell

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH Wilhelm View Post
We just purchased a one owner 2018 View 24V with only 8k miles on a MB Sprinter. After our first trip the wife was ready to put a for sale sign on it. The ride was rough on a 400 mile stretch of southern NY road. The order was fix it or sell it. After reading about every post on the internet I took the recommendation that some of you have done.

Spent most of a the day laying on the driveway with the RV on Camco 4x2 RV Leveling Blocks. Installed rear Helwig anti-sway bar, SUMO Springs front & Rear and Koni Shocks front & rear. Only done a few test drives around the area but I can say we are now not going to sell it. The ride and handling is greatly improved. The ride is much smoother and not the a jolt at every bridge expansion joint or every crack in the road.
Thanks Wilhelm, we are currently on our maiden voyage and after all of the 'little' (not so little!) things that need to be fixed the rocking and rolling just getting off the couch is the topper. I am in the SELL IT! mind, hopefully these improvements will help us too.
TandDFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 07:15 AM   #30
Winnebago Vita 24P

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandDFitz View Post
Thanks Wilhelm, we are currently on our maiden voyage and after all of the 'little' (not so little!) things that need to be fixed the rocking and rolling just getting off the couch is the topper. I am in the SELL IT! mind, hopefully these improvements will help us too.
I have the Vita with a full slide on same chassis, I do not get the rocking, I installed sumo springs, hellwig bar and Bilstein shocks in the rear....
Old 06-02-2022, 07:31 AM   #31
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2021 view and I thought my rear tires were a little out of balance too , when I first got it . After 5000 miles I don’t notice it at any speed .??? I don’t have any sway when trucks pass me , unless they are going at a high speed. I do have some sway going over speed bumps and turning crossing a low spot. I wonder why the difference. I do hate the valve stems, trying to get extensions on them and that is hard to find someone that will do it.
WV Bum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
view