Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-30-2016, 04:44 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2016 View/Navion Questions

We were at CW looking at a new 2016 View 24G. It has a diesel 3200 watt gen. After the salesman disconnected shore power the AC no longer worked. The AC should run off this gen right?

Does this unit have a fiberglass roof?

We intend to boondoggle a lot. I read that the coach does not come with deep cycle batts? What do you recommend to replace them?

What is the weight capacity?

Thank you
Old 07-30-2016, 05:00 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

When you disconnect shore power the shore power cable has to be plugged into the generator outlet in the electrical bay. There is no auto transfer switch on a Navion or View.

The roof is fiberglass.

Weight capacity is listed on label on inside of drivers door.

Alan
TriGlider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 07:12 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

You may consider solar add on, that can be done after purchase also.

If you are using your AC boondocking you will be charging your batteries also. You need to run the gen for hair dryers, toaster, microwave, AC - anything that draws a lot of power.

Don't be afraid to use the gen, the more you use it the less problems you will have with it. The diesel gen oil change is after 20 hrs, then every 200- takes 1 qt of oil and can be changed easy. I will probably change the oil more often then 200 hrs since the cost and time is minimal.

My opinion is the diesel gen is great for boondocking. I sips fuel and you can get it anywhere. There are plenty of posts regarding diesel vs propane, tank hot water heater vs truma, instant hot water, solar, upgraded batteries. It's worth some time reading through them.

All of the systems will work for you for several days at a time boondocking, for extended stays some work better than others.

Be well, enjoy whatever you choose to purchase!
Old 07-30-2016, 10:02 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Smile Good to Know

Thanks for the electrical info. I bet the salesman did not know that you have to plug in the shore power cable (me either).

Thanks for the other information too!
Old 07-31-2016, 09:23 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Make it a habit of ALWAYS plugging the shore cord into the generator outlet in the cord compartment EVERY time you store it. Then you won't have to run around and plug it in when you want to use the generator, its already set to use.

Charles
Old 08-01-2016, 11:35 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thank you great advice
Old 08-01-2016, 03:22 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I second the recommendation for solar. There's enough room on the roof for at least 3 panels. The factory installed solar option is pretty good, starting you out with a few nice advantages. It's rated for over 500w, has 1 100w panel installed with electrical ports for two additional roof panels, and has a ground level port which according to the operators manual is managed by the solar charge controller. The controller is a 30A five stage PWM charger.

Stock batteries and limited room for more than 2 might be a downside, depending on your needs. The battery compartment will fit two 6V golf cart batteries but the hold down system will need to be modified to work with the taller batts. Virtually all group 24 sized batteries would be doing good to give you a max of 130-145 AH combined. The golf cart batteries will bring you up to 210-230 AH.
Old 08-01-2016, 04:35 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Thank you. That is really good detailed information.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:11 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooneypaul View Post
Thanks for the electrical info. I bet the salesman did not know that you have to plug in the shore power cable (me either).

Thanks for the other information too!
You can add a transfer switch, as I have. Much easier. Switch is in back, front in progressive power monitor.
Slydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 05:03 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Just an added point about the power cord...

When you disconnect the shore power plug the cord into the coach BEFORE you stuff the remainder of the cord in the bay. If you stuff the cord in first it's hard to plug it in...
Old 12-18-2017, 06:26 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyonlands View Post
I second the recommendation for solar. There's enough room on the roof for at least 3 panels. The factory installed solar option is pretty good, starting you out with a few nice advantages. It's rated for over 500w, has 1 100w panel installed with electrical ports for two additional roof panels, and has a ground level port which according to the operators manual is managed by the solar charge controller. The controller is a 30A five stage PWM charger.

Stock batteries and limited room for more than 2 might be a downside, depending on your needs. The battery compartment will fit two 6V golf cart batteries but the hold down system will need to be modified to work with the taller batts. Virtually all group 24 sized batteries would be doing good to give you a max of 130-145 AH combined. The golf cart batteries will bring you up to 210-230 AH.
Your signature says you’re using Lifeline AGMs, but I don’t see a 6v 24 sized battery on their website. Can you post the details about your batteries? I really want to replace my stock 12 volts.
Travelerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 02:57 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Here is a link to the 6V Lifeline AGM's

GPL-4CT - Lifeline Batteries
Old 12-22-2017, 07:30 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Here is a link to the 6V Lifeline AGM's

GPL-4CT - Lifeline Batteries
Perfect, thanks. Do you still recommend them?
Travelerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 07:48 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I have never heard anything bad about them except they are pricier than some others. Some people seem to also like the Duracell mentioned on the Facebook group.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...&theater&ifg=1
Old 12-23-2017, 10:39 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I have never heard anything bad about them except they are pricier than some others. Some people seem to also like the Duracell mentioned on the Facebook group.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...&theater&ifg=1
But but the Duracell's 20 hour capacity is only 190 AHr compared to 225 or more AHr for other AGM brands.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:45 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBobbo View Post
Just an added point about the power cord...

When you disconnect the shore power plug the cord into the coach BEFORE you stuff the remainder of the cord in the bay. If you stuff the cord in first it's hard to plug it in...
Hmm... I never have a problem. I stuff the cord in first, then plug in.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:56 AM   #17
HFA
Winnebago Camper

I rotated the generator outlet 90 degrees so that the power cord comes out the front when plugged in instead of the bottom. This makes it much easier to plug in and unplug with the cable coiled up in the bay.
HFA is offline   Reply With Quote