Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-07-2019, 11:55 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2016 View 24V Only 12v at 7 pin connector

I'm brand new to this forum. I have been searching through old threads for related threads and came across one that had the same problem as I am having but it was an Istaca Sunstar.

I have a 2016 View 24V I am trying to set it up for flat towing a Honda Fit.
I have all the light working fine at the RV but do not have any lights at the 7 pin connection- ie turn signal, running lights or brake lights. I only get 12v at pin 4 From the previous thread it looks like it could be a fuse issue. I have checked fuse 14 and 15 trailer fuses and they appear fine. What am I missing. I would greatly appreciate any help I can get...wife wants to take it out for a test run.
Jhumphreyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 08:16 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

What you are missing is how the Sprinter chassis is wired. I made the same mistake, so don't panic.

Mercedes uses the CanBus system to power a number of peripheral items like the 7 way plug. You cannot detect a voltage at the tail and turn signal pins because power is not supplied until a load is detected. Your voltmeter won't work but a test lamp will. The only way to test your Honda is to plug into the Sprinter, start the Sprinter, and check the turn, running, stop lights by exercising those functions on the Sprinter.

BTW, I have been towing a Honda Fit since 2012. Not sure how you are wiring into your Honda but mine is setup with an adapter box that converted the old two light system to a 3 light system that the Fit uses (separate stop and turn signals). The Honda is currently wired without a charge wire (Mercedes says don't use the 12V line for charging) but everything else is the same.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 05:30 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

For what it’s worth, when I wired my 2017 Fit, I used the 12VDC pin to power my RVi Battery Charge unit. Battery is always charged even after towing all day. Haven’t had any problems with it. Been towing with it for a year or so. My brake system is an SMI Stay and Play. I took the easy route and added the extra bulb kit to prevent any weird CANBUS interaction.
TriGlider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 06:00 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Did the same thing for our CRV. But remember to protect it at the car with a fuse. I selected 20a and put a spare in the coach.
Mike Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 06:30 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

RVi system is diode and fuse protected. Has a green indicator led to let you know when everything is working correctly.

https://rvibrake.com/products/towed-battery-charger

Alan
TriGlider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 05:19 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Your information was exactly what I needed. AND Mercedes didn’t even have the info. You are a life saver. Greatly appreciate being a part of Winnieowners
Jhumphreyj is offline   Reply With Quote