Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-26-2018, 11:57 AM   #1
RJ2
Winnebago Camper

2016 VIEW 24J WOW, Handling Difference

2016 24J WOW, Handling Difference .... Drove trucks going through school , so I was never comfortable with the 24j sway and bounce . The Sumo blocks were a no brainer looking at the tiny stock sprinter bump stops . That helped the sway and bounce a lot , still had to drive with the 2 hands on wheel . Reluctantly switched out the stock Sachs/Bilstein rears to the KONI FSD , that did the trick . Now I don't constantly fight the wheel with a 2 hand grip . took the truck push and wind shake out of the equation . I would never even consider letting my wife drive the stock version , at least with me in it . Very Very happy with the ride , not even considering upgrading sway bar, and that is the first thing I have always done with my pickup trucks for the last 45 years , was put sway bars on, first thing . Hard to believe the Konis could make that much difference , I can actually drive and not worry about looking in the rear view to make sure I hold the wheel tighter . I took the time to write this because , I drove that vehicle for a year and never understood why, it wasn't pleasant, it wasn't safe and did not really read about others complaining, except for the white knuckle grip on wheel. Now I enjoy driving ,and can actually enjoy scenery, and the miles go by so much quicker .
which brings up another point . My natural look down at normal speed was always about 57, now I find the natural level out speed when I look down is
about a smooth 65.
RJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 12:10 PM   #2
2016 Winnebago Navion 24J

I have a 2016 24J and did the Koni FSD shocks, Boss airbags (real low pressure 5 to 20 psi), and Hellwig sway bar. My first thing was the sway bar, and I was so happy with the sway reduction I just had to try for more. I have only taken a small drive so far, but will be leaving on a 8K plus mile trip Sept 4.

I also swapped out the the halogen headlight bulbs for Headlight Experts LED bulbs. They are much brighter and very white in color (6k range not blue). Ok I'm off topic now....bye.
MrMarog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 05:59 PM   #3
HFA
Winnebago Camper

I had a 2016 Solera before I got the 2019 Navion 24D. The Solera came with the Helwig sway bar and I added the Sumo Springs. It did OK with that. I've got about 3400 miles on the Navion and so far, I don't feel the need for any suspension changes. One of our trips was through the Smokey Mountains. It rides and handles better than my Solera did with the changes. We have a big trip coming up in September, so we'll see how it goes but, so far, I am content to leave it as it is.
HFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:46 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ2 View Post
2016 24J WOW, Handling Difference .... Drove trucks going through school , so I was never comfortable with the 24j sway and bounce . The Sumo blocks were a no brainer looking at the tiny stock sprinter bump stops . That helped the sway and bounce a lot , still had to drive with the 2 hands on wheel . Reluctantly switched out the stock Sachs/Bilstein rears to the KONI FSD , that did the trick . Now I don't constantly fight the wheel with a 2 hand grip . took the truck push and wind shake out of the equation . I would never even consider letting my wife drive the stock version , at least with me in it . Very Very happy with the ride , not even considering upgrading sway bar, and that is the first thing I have always done with my pickup trucks for the last 45 years , was put sway bars on, first thing . Hard to believe the Konis could make that much difference , I can actually drive and not worry about looking in the rear view to make sure I hold the wheel tighter . I took the time to write this because , I drove that vehicle for a year and never understood why, it wasn't pleasant, it wasn't safe and did not really read about others complaining, except for the white knuckle grip on wheel. Now I enjoy driving ,and can actually enjoy scenery, and the miles go by so much quicker .
which brings up another point . My natural look down at normal speed was always about 57, now I find the natural level out speed when I look down is
about a smooth 65.
RJ2 - Thank you for posting! This really helped me out a lot. I thought I was going crazy. About 3 months ago, I purchased a brand new 2019 VIEW 24J.... I then proceeded to take the family on a cross country road trip to see the Grand Canyon, Zion, and Bryce Canyon. I encountered some strong 20+ mph cross wind which scared the heck out of me. I have never own a motorhome before, but I have owned and towed trailer trailers for 10+ years with no issue. The sprinter (View 24J) bounced around the highway and swayed with every passing semi and with every gust of wind. I though I was going nuts or there was something wrong with my motor home. Once I got home, I did some research and installed SUMO springs in front and back and Hellwig anti-sway bar. This helped some, but did not completely eliminate the cross wind sway and bounce. At one point, it got so stressful driving, that I even considered getting rid of my brand new 2019 VIEW... We love the VIEW, but the stock bounce and sway is horrible. Thank you for posting. I will try the KONI FSD rear shocks next...
jnguyen68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 09:49 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

OK what model shocks did you get? I need to order some apparently. Our handling has been fine but looking to head to Washington for a few week trip. The one I found on the manufacturers site said "adjustable"... Thank you for the info
Mike Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 11:00 AM   #6
2016 Winnebago Navion 24J

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ2 View Post
about a smooth 65.
Here ya go Mike.
MrMarog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 11:14 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

The KONI factory lists two for the dual wheel 3500 82 2588 & 8805 1056 so was wanting the exact model so I don't screw it up.
Mike Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 06:53 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

8805-1056. In the traditional Koni red color. Current version for 3500 RVs.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 06:47 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I've had Koni FSD shocks in just the rear of our 24 foot E450 based Class C MH for several years now and they have been a big improvement over the stock shocks. They definitely took the sting out of the ride in the rear when going over potholes and highway cracks, while also controling sway on curves and in side-winds. They work in both situations because they adjust their damping automaitically in real time.

You have to be careful to get the correct Koni shocks when putting Koni FSD shocks on your RV ... because Koni offers their regular shocks (non-FSD) for motorhomes in addition to their FSD shocks.

I believe that the Koni regular shocks are RED color, while their FSD shocks are GOLD color.

Here's an explanation of how the FSD shocks work:
KONI NA | KONI Active Technology
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 09:26 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

I agree the stock rear shocks are not up to the job. I have a 21 ft Vista which I have driven in 70 mph cross wind without that roll over feeling. I replaced the shock with Monroe 3/4 ton pickup shocks and added 5000 lb per bag air bag suspension. I run 35 lbs air pressure in the bags. The factory air sleeves were worthless
Vista owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 12:04 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I started doing some research on replacement rear shocks for the VIEW.... another option that is getting rave reviews on the various Sprinter forums is the Fox Shocks by Agile Offroad.... Their "V5" shocks are specifically "tuned" for sprinter based RVs. It's a bit pricy at $300 per shocks.... I am seriously thinking about going this route....

https://agileoffroad.com/product/agi...sprinter-3500/
jnguyen68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 06:43 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Phil, as of ~ late 2017 KONI FSD shocks are no longer gold colored. KONI has returned to their traditional and distinctive "Koni Red" color. Some PN/SKUs may have changed about the same time.

And you are right. The FSDs make a huge improvement in ride quality!
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 04:28 PM   #13
RJ2
Winnebago Camper

The Koni shocks I really like are the KONI FSD , they will look gold color in pics but the new ones are painted the new KONI red . they look nicer red, for sure. I got them from the guy at shockwarehouse.com, gave me like 15 off and came out to $300 . very very easy instal , they aren't gas so they are not strapped closed .just put bolt in one end and pull to fit other bolt.
I have to reiteraite , I absolutely hated the ride I was getting from the View and loved the vehicle . Just knew I had to try something . Now I find myself kind of mesmerized by the way it handles so nice and I can actually look at, and enjoy, the scenery straight ahead . Before it was constant rear view mirror to be ready for truck blow by .
RJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 04:56 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

VB Air Suspension

Just an FYI - for those that may not know about the VB Air Suspension for Sprinters. This is the ultimate solution. Here is a link to my review: http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f...ew-351118.html
ArtistsView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 07:48 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

On my 2008 Journey 39Z I replaced what I believe to have been the OEM shocks with the Koni’s. I also added the SuperSteer Motion Control Units (front and rear) along with the SuperSteer Bell Crank.
These mods made a significant difference in the handling and ride.
I found a rear sway bar for the Freightliner XC chassis, it too made the coach handle much better.
I then made the decision to swap out the Koni Shocks for custom Bilsteins along with new airbag baffles (lack of a better term).
After our first long semi-cross country trip I’ve decided to go back to the Koni shocks and SS MCUs. I feel the Koni/SS setup gave me a better ride and handling.
The coach had a Safe-T-Plus unit when I bought it, I added the SuperSteer Trim Unit.
I’m getting ready to upgrade the front sway bar to a Roadmaster 1 3/4” heavy duty model.
I believe that’s all I can do to this rig to help the handling and ride.
jdkskyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:01 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

OK, I read this thread with interest. I drive a Itasca Sunstar Sport (on a F53 chassis) It is 26' 11" long. The 26HE.
While it is a dream to drive and very rarely do I "two hand white Knuckle it". I do have 3 things that bother me.
1 I'm pushed out of my lane when a truck passes me
2 After the truck passes and merges into my lane, I'm "washed" by the dirty air until we are separated by several truck lengths
3 My cat sleeps on the bed while I drive and the DW says his head bounces like "a bobble head". I do not notice this from the drivers seat. Although, I do feel gust of wind all the time.

My question is will the KONI FSD resolve any of the 3 issues?
If so, to what degree?
Old 08-01-2018, 08:11 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

The Koni/SuperSteer mods made a drastic diffence to my Journey’s ride and handling.
jdkskyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:28 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFA View Post
I had a 2016 Solera before I got the 2019 Navion 24D. The Solera came with the Helwig sway bar and I added the Sumo Springs. It did OK with that. I've got about 3400 miles on the Navion and so far, I don't feel the need for any suspension changes. One of our trips was through the Smokey Mountains. It rides and handles better than my Solera did with the changes. We have a big trip coming up in September, so we'll see how it goes but, so far, I am content to leave it as it is.
I've found the ride and handling to be fine, too. It's got exactly the amount of curb roll I expected, and it's manageable. It doesn't have as much wallow as I expected, at any speed. Lane changes on the freeways feel sure footed. I don't notice semi-truck bow wash at all, but the Prevost sized buses are more noticeable for a second or two. It's also manageable. I'll leave as is, for now.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:05 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

What is the total cost of the installation and who should do that? Is a air suspension system better?
Thanks
gomango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 12:04 PM   #20
DMA
Winnebago Camper

We have a 15NJ, Profile. 43K miles all over the US. I was never terribly impressed with the ride, that said I never felt intimidated or overwhelmed by semis, or crosswinds.
I wanted to get rid of some of the oscillation so about 8K miles ago I had the Helwig installed. It improved things somewhat, but I was a bit underwhelmed by the change, I expected more.
I recently retired my Continental Tires at 42K and had Michelin Defenders (and Borg Dually valves) installed. Quite a substantial different ride than with the harsh Contis.
Smoother, softer, quieter ride with the Michelins!
I should have ditched the Continentals a year ago.

Just a general comment. 90% of the VNs out there are the cab overs.
It is just my opinion prior to having done nothing to improve ride or handling that those with the cabover seem to angst a lot more than those with the (low) profile.
Higher COG, more wind resistance, it has to make a difference.

At this stage I am really satisfied with the ride since the new tires.
DMA is offline   Reply With Quote