Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-02-2018, 12:23 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMA View Post
We have a 15NJ, Profile. 43K miles all over the US. I was never terribly impressed with the ride, that said I never felt intimidated or overwhelmed by semis, or crosswinds.
I wanted to get rid of some of the oscillation so about 8K miles ago I had the Helwig installed. It improved things somewhat, but I was a bit underwhelmed by the change, I expected more.
I recently retired my Continental Tires at 42K and had Michelin Defenders (and Borg Dually valves) installed. Quite a substantial different ride than with the harsh Contis.
Smoother, softer, quieter ride with the Michelins!
I should have ditched the Continentals a year ago.

Just a general comment. 90% of the VNs out there are the cab overs.
It is just my opinion prior to having done nothing to improve ride or handling that those with the cabover seem to angst a lot more than those with the (low) profile.
Higher COG, more wind resistance, it has to make a difference.

At this stage I am really satisfied with the ride since the new tires.
And, 120 lbs lighter, according to WGO engineering. I asked, before we ordered our iQ or low profile or whatever they call it. Trying to maximize OCCC by judicious selection of options (or not, in this case). Tankless W/H and Alcoa aluminum wheels, as well. Every little bit helps/hurts?
Your Michelin tire change positive effect is interesting info. I've always been a big Michelin fan.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 07:14 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnguyen68 View Post
RJ2 - Thank you for posting! This really helped me out a lot. I thought I was going crazy. About 3 months ago, I purchased a brand new 2019 VIEW 24J.... I then proceeded to take the family on a cross country road trip to see the Grand Canyon, Zion, and Bryce Canyon. I encountered some strong 20+ mph cross wind which scared the heck out of me. I have never own a motorhome before, but I have owned and towed trailer trailers for 10+ years with no issue. The sprinter (View 24J) bounced around the highway and swayed with every passing semi and with every gust of wind. I though I was going nuts or there was something wrong with my motor home. Once I got home, I did some research and installed SUMO springs in front and back and Hellwig anti-sway bar. This helped some, but did not completely eliminate the cross wind sway and bounce. At one point, it got so stressful driving, that I even considered getting rid of my brand new 2019 VIEW... We love the VIEW, but the stock bounce and sway is horrible. Thank you for posting. I will try the KONI FSD rear shocks next...
Interesting to read about this thread and your experience. We are planning a very similar trip this Fall for three weeks and seriously thinking about putting sway bar, springs and shocks.
Did the new shocks help? What's the total cost for this upgrade.

We have a 2011 View Profile.
gomango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 07:36 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Ok, can someone out there tell me about the over cost of doing the sway bar, springs and the shocks. There seems to be a consensus to use Hellwig sway bar , Sumo springs ( front and back?) Koni shocks (front and back?) or are the Fox "V5" shocks better?
I guess I am looking for the best value and don't want to overkill these improvements.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:02 PM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Ill be the naysayer here, the newer Koni FSD shocks are not good they dont adjust like the old ones do still lots of bounce, not much better then stock...ill return mine and go with the fox tuned ones as mentioned i still run the sumo on the front and the Boss air bags on the rear work good though....
norcal21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 05:28 AM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Thanks
Sumo just in the front? What’s the air bag in the rear?
Any idea on the overall cost?
Old 08-15-2018, 07:31 AM   #26
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2004 33 ft Itasca and have had a lot of sway while driving causing white knuckle hold on the steering wheel. Thought it was normal since this was our first RV.

Took the rig in for an oil change, grease, lube and asked them to check all over and replace what needed replacing. They replaced the rear sway bushings and holy cow, what a difference. The swaying was greatly reduced and driving is so much easier.

Glad we had them check it over and do what needed doing. Makes a huge difference.
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 03:57 PM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Hi everyone,
I just want to post a quick update.... I ordered the FOX V2.5 shocks from Agile Offroad... and got them installed this morning.... it was a very simple and straight forward install.... You just need a 21mm socket, a 21mm wrench, and a breaker bar. You don't need to jack up the RV. Entire process took about 1 hour. I then went for a long test drive on mixed roads and interstate. IMO, the FOX shocks made a huge difference - no more bouncing, no more swaying. Just controlled and smooth damping. I had SUMO SPRINGs in the front and rear and also the Hellwig HD Sway Bar, those did helped a bit, but did not completely eliminate the bouncing and swaying. The FOX shocks did the trick. The FOX shocks are much bigger and firmer than the stock shocks. I can actually compress the puny stock shocks with my bare hands. They were very soft. Anyways, I am very happy with the upgrade and the guys at Agile Offroad were awesome to work with.
.... now to address the sponging brakes and upgrade all the headlights to LED.....
jnguyen68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:38 AM   #28
Winnebago Owner

Thanks and glad to hear that it worked out.
Did you replace both the front and rear shocks?
Do you have both front and rear sway bars?
Old 08-19-2018, 03:49 PM   #29
Winnebago Camper

I replaced just the rear shocks.
Upgraded the rear sway bar to the Hellwig.
I got sumo springs in the front and rear.
I am looking into replacing the front shocks now.... not sure what brand/model to get yet....
Old 08-25-2018, 11:18 AM   #30
Winnebago Watcher

I was curious what a ball park cost is for adding all of these things to improve the ride and handling to avoid white knuckle driving??

My wife and I are thinking about switching from a travel trailer but am concerned about additional costs to make it an enjoyable driving experience.
OregonPerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 12:28 PM   #31
Winnebago Camper

Hello OrgeonPerson,
Here's the cost break down...

Hellwig Heavy Duty Rear Sway Bar Sprinter 3500.... $198
https://www.amazon.com/Hellwig-7254-...+sprinter+3500

Front SUMO springs Sprinter 3500... $156
https://www.amazon.com/SSF-106-47-Su...pring+sprinter

Rear SUMO Spring Sprinter 3500... $217
https://www.amazon.com/SSR-338-47-Su...pring+sprinter

FOX V2.5 Heavy Duty REAR Shocks Sprinter 3500.... $479 (pair)
https://agileoffroad.com/product/agi...00-rv-class-c/

I installed all these parts myself.
It was very straight forward using only simple hand tools.

BTW - looks like the Tiffin WayFarer class C (Sprinter based) now comes standard with FRONT & REAR SUMO springs...
https://tiffinmotorhomes.com/wayfare...ngs-suspension

"Standard on the Wayfarer, SumoSprings ensure a nice, smooth ride. They are designed to stabilize sway, enhance load carrying ability, and improve driver control."

Here's a video on how to install the SUMO Springs...

Here's a video on how to install the REAR FoX SHOCKS... Time mark at 3:50....
Old 08-26-2018, 01:32 PM   #32
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonPerson View Post
I was curious what a ball park cost is for adding all of these things to improve the ride and handling to avoid white knuckle driving??

My wife and I are thinking about switching from a travel trailer but am concerned about additional costs to make it an enjoyable driving experience.

Switching from a TT to a coach is your best idea. We had a small TT and it was a pain in the hitch from the get go. A bother to hook up and set down. Towing, it was constantly wagging the dog, jerking & jamming and in general a minor handful.

We've had a B and now a C coach. For the Sprinter based View/Navions, there are 1000 suggestions on how to improve the suspension, handling and ride. The biggest 'issue' is the coupling and resonance of the high center of gravity in the coach with the natural frequency of the leaf spring suspension in the rear. This coupling sets up a rocking motion over some entryways, swales, or sharp slow speed turns (90 degree onto a road for example). The coupling increases the amplitude of the pitching.

You want a compliant, flexible suspension for good ride & handling with just the right amount of damping of the 'jounce' motion (upward movement). Here's what Iive done: SumoSprings (the rubber baby buggy bumpers) front and rear. Koni FSD shocks on the rear. For a 3500, it's SKU/PN 8805-1056.

Koni 1 FSD Rear Shock for 2007 - 2018 Sprinter 3500

Prices are always changing. Watch for sales, ask for best price. Look for free 2 day shipping. I shopped and got mine for $300/pair. SumoSprings are what has been quoted previously.

I'd skip the larger 'roll/sway bar'. That's the old school solution to a problem that's not occurring here on the Sprinters. What we have here is not body 'sway' as we traditionally understand it. It is, in fact a rolling motion around the long axis of the coach. A different animal. A heavier bar will increase the amount of body roll not reduce it. What solves the problem is the self-adjusting Koni FSDs (read the descriptions about how they work) and the SumoSprings that damp the vertical motion of the suspension without adding energy to the system. They 'de-couple' the CG contribution decreasing the amplitude and frequency of the rolling motion.

Suggestion is 'case specific'.... works for 3500 Sprinter coaches. Others??? Maybe...
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 06:57 AM   #33
Winnebago Owner

No sway bar?

Thanks for this new information!
So your recommendation is to replace front and rear with Sumo springs and just the rear shocks with Koni shocks?
I have read that Fox v5 shocks are better, what do you think?
Why do you think so many owners have installed Hellwig sway bars and seemed to like them?
Old 08-27-2018, 08:59 AM   #34
Winnebago Owner

My 2017 drives real well but going around corners it sways back and forth a little too much for me. I've been passed by a rv and it wasn't as bad as I expected. We had had a bunch of trailer experience and that was much worse for me. I have ordered the FSD shocks for now. The rig has a sway bar already that was factory it looks like. The PO bought it like that from the dealer.
Mike Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 03:31 PM   #35
Winnebago Watcher

I’m going to be buying a 24j. I’m good mechanically. If I don’t install the Sumo Springs, who does this? Dealer? And how can I be sure that they really install Sumo Springs? What do I look for?
3dogrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 03:40 PM   #36
Winnebago Owner

Shocks

There seemed to be different opinions about the brand of shocks . Which is better Koni 1FSD or Fox V2.5 Heavy Duty?
I am thinking about to replace my rear shocks of a 2011 View Profile w/ 53K.
I like to get a honest the goodness recommendation. Thx.
Old 08-29-2018, 06:25 PM   #37
Winnebago Owner

I found a great video on installing sumo springs. I'm sure if you are mechanical you can do it.

https://youtu.be/zEm7wJeWhPw
Mike Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 06:27 PM   #38
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomango View Post
Thanks for this new information!
So your recommendation is to replace front and rear with Sumo springs and just the rear shocks with Koni shocks?
I have read that Fox v5 shocks are better, what do you think?
Why do you think so many owners have installed Hellwig sway bars and seemed to like them?

Mango, Sorry for the delay. I have Koni FSD only on the rear. SumoSprings (Solos) all around. OEM anti-roll bar. Works for me. Wanted to greatly reduce the rolling in the long axis. The Konis really helped with that. The Sumos help to control the 'pushing' from winds and trucks.

Got to remember.... you never will have a 100% solution to all issues. What I've done is have about 98% solution to all the issues.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 06:58 AM   #39
Winnebago Owner

Shocks

Thax Old Crow,
I just ordered the Koni rear shocks from Euro RV.
My mechanic said I already have a rear sway bar.
So I'll see the improvement after he install them.
Old 09-04-2018, 06:33 AM   #40
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dogrv View Post
I’m going to be buying a 24j. I’m good mechanically. If I don’t install the Sumo Springs, who does this? Dealer? And how can I be sure that they really install Sumo Springs? What do I look for?
I would drive the 24J in stock form to see if you need/want all the suspension mods.... everyone's tolerance and perception of sway/bounce is different. Drive the stock 24J over bumps, on the highway, and on a windy day.... If you can live with the stock setup, then awesome. If not, you can order the SUMO directly from Super Springs. The install is really easy. There's a bunch of Youtube videos on how to do this.... The SUMO does not have any markings or labels on them. They are just a big black/yellow poly foam block.

I am somewhat spoiled since my daily driver is a German sports car & SUV with firm suspension and very little body roll. :-( My perception of handling and sway is totally wacked.