Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2018, 10:53 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2014 View Furance quits below freezing

Our propane furnace works flawlessly UNTIL we need it most. Boondocking in California and yes, it can get cold at night.
Outside temps below 32 cause our furnace to kick off line. Our “RV Comfort” theromstat has been checked by an rv tech. He pulled it and connected it to an analyzer and it checked out as working perfectly. He did replace the sail switch and that, I thought, helped.
However, since the repair we have always camped at cool, but not cold, locations. Last night it dipped to 30 degrees and at about 4:30 am I once again awoke to a cold (44 inside) RV. The cure seems to be, turn the thermostat off, wait a few seconds, and then turn it back on. Presto, heat kicks on, all is good, for a while. Then awake to cold again. When outside temp remains above freezing we sleep snug as a bug in a rug. Only below freezing temps does this issue occur.
I would have replaced the thermostat already if it hadn’t been checked out on the bench by a certified rv tech.
Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
Schoolhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 11:46 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

No idea... but a thread over at iRV2 may help. RV comfort thermostat - iRV2 Forums
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 11:57 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Old Crows feedback

Thanks! I’ll check it out. I’m stumped too.
Schoolhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 03:54 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

You might have a defective propane pressure regulator, that stops working at below freezing temperatures. They can freeze up if they get moisture inside of them. They have a air vent that needs to be facing downward. Could be that it's not oriented correctly.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 10:04 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Suburban furnace? The one in our 2014 Sunstar worked great in the driveway here in SLO before our trip in October. The it failed on a sub freezing morning at the North Rim. We made it OK with the generator and a space heater until we got home. I pulled the module out and it turned out to be a poorly soldered quick connect connector on the module. It pulled right out of the board when I tried to pull the wire off.

I cleaned it and resoldered it and it's worked fine the last 2 trips.

Now I carry a spare module.

Have you checked or replaced the module circuit board?
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 07:47 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Most likely it is your propane regulator which is freezing up due to moisture in your propane. You have several ways to get this working - place a source of heat around the regulator to melt the ice, get a propane dealer to add some methanol to your propane tank to dry up the moisture, or have your propane tank drained, purged, and refilled.

If the above remedies don't do it, replace the regulator.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote