Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2014, 07:18 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2000 Itasca Spirit Pump

I've tried unsuccessfully to search these fourms. I keep getting "Sorry No Results". I can't be the only one with these issues over all these years.

I have a New To Me 2000 Itasca Spirit 31T. Yesterday I was running the pump to flush out some systems then dumped the rest of the fresh water. After refilling the water tank I can't gete the pump to push any water. It turns on but doesn't do anything. Oh, and every once in a while it won't turn on (no red light, not working). I have used the Antifreeze tube to try to force water into the pump. It looks like the pump is primed cuz there is a small air bubble at the top of the clear cylinder on the suction side.

Also - just under the back side of the bed there are 2 inline valves (accessible by removing the little carpeted block). What are these for? They are on the pressure side of the pump.

Thanks for any answers. I'll sure I'll have more questions.
Dan
DanInAlaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:35 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

:welcome:

Did you have to flip a lever or turn a valve to let water enter the tank? The pump does need priming, but they usually self prime from water flow out of the tank. Make sure filter isn't clogged restricting flow.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:28 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Where would the filter be? There was so much stinky sediment in the filter on the kitchen faucet that I actually replaced the faucet outlet thingy. Now I have a fancy swivel, spray faucet thingy. And I noticed it's filter also collected more stinky sediment. Is there a filter on the pump?
Old 06-01-2014, 08:30 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Most have at least a strainer in the line. They look like this:

RV Discount Suppliers Shurflo FPT Twist On RV Water Filter 1/2"

Bob & Donna
Old 06-01-2014, 09:03 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

There is a clear plastic dome on the front of my pump. I just unscrewed the line going to it and then unscrewed the dome. What appears to be a black gasket inside the dome is actually 6 years (the RV has sat unused for the last 6 years) of thick black goo. I just brought the dome and metal screen inside the house and washed it off. I already know this will be the solution. So Thank You for steering me in the right direction.

Also, the two valves behind the bed under the carpeted box lead to the outside shower. Which apparently has been getting some of the water as the tray and compartment are completely flooded. LOL. At least it doesn't effect anything else.

Thanks again.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:56 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

and that solved that...

There are two valves that are under the bathroom sink. Turn these and they dump water onto the road. Turn them back and they dump water onto the road. Apparently tomorrow I will be taking these apart to see if the guts are stripped. I guess I never should have turned them the first time. But I was trying to solve the other issue.

And... why are there no convenient 12v plugins in the RV (besides in the dashboard)? There is one behind the TV in the bedroom and an inaccessible one behind the TV in the kitchen. In my old 1978 P.O.S. RV there were 3. My daughter could keep all her toys charged while we drove, and while we camped. Now I have to be plugged in or run the generator?
Old 06-07-2014, 04:54 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

12 v power outlets aren't hard to install. Just be sure to put a fuse in the hot wire.

Bob & Donna

Tags
itasca